I'm committed.... (Read 1623 times)

Feeling the growl again

Andy - I've enjoyed following your progress over the years both here and over at coolrunning, in fact it was your post over there that helped me find RA, so thanks for that. Anyway I'll see you in Louisville though I'm doing the half as a tune-up for St Jude Marathon in Dec. ( I had a full planned for Sept, but life got in the way, so that got postponed). I'll be wearing a blue singlet and look like my picture. See you there
    If you're doing the half, I could see you at the finish if you are still around. I should come in 2:35-2:37 if I don't screw up...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Run like hell for as long as possible and don't worry about the outcome.
      That's actually quite accurate! Worrying about the outcome really is the only difference...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

obsessor

Big D are you running Sunday?
        Hey, I thought I knew who you were. All wimped out from running 2000+ miles on the TM, I suppose. I figured that could only be one person. MTP, right? Anyhow, No. I have not been racing at all this year. Will it turn out well for me? Who knows? Had some injury, nothing major, but enough to make me take most of the summer off.

Feeling the growl again

Since I don't use the log here I figured I'd post my 3-week "cram session" here. We can see whose prediction is closest. M - 8.25 miles easy 6:42 avg T - 8 miles. 3 mile warmup 6:45 avg, 4 mile tempo 5:27.5 avg, 1 mile cooldown; in flats W - 8.25 miles easy 6:29 avg R - 2 mile warmup 6:45 avg, 10minON / 5minOFF / 8 ON / 4 OFF / 6 ON / 3 OFF / 4 ON / 2 OFF / 2 ON. OFF paces all about 6:15 pace, ON paces 5:24 for 10, 5:24 for 8, 5:26 for 6, 5:32 for 4 (hill/wind), 5:08 for 2. 10.25 miles total, completed 1st 10 in about 58:30 (includes warmup). In flats

Why is it sideways?

Since I don't use the log here I figured I'd post my 3-week "cram session" here. We can see whose prediction is closest. M - 8.25 miles easy 6:42 avg T - 8 miles. 3 mile warmup 6:45 avg, 4 mile tempo 5:27.5 avg, 1 mile cooldown; in flats W - 8.25 miles easy 6:29 avg R - 2 mile warmup 6:45 avg, 10minON / 5minOFF / 8 ON / 4 OFF / 6 ON / 3 OFF / 4 ON / 2 OFF / 2 ON. OFF paces all about 6:15 pace, ON paces 5:24 for 10, 5:24 for 8, 5:26 for 6, 5:32 for 4 (hill/wind), 5:08 for 2. 10.25 miles total, completed 1st 10 in about 58:30 (includes warmup). In flats
            My prediction: 2:32:16
              My prediction: 2:33:10

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Feeling the growl again

Fri - 8.25 miles easy 6:35 pace Sat - 20-miler. 19 miles 6:42 avg, last mile 5:23. Wanted more miles faster but some cramping prevented that. Sun - off, caught kid's illness and didn't want to jeopardize next week's runs. Total for week - 63 miles

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sweet! You do know they changed the course, don't you?
                  Well. They changed the course back to the original course. This is confirmed by the RD in an email I sent him today. Spaniel, the course is now flatter. Will you be rushing back home after the race?
                  obsessor

bring him some home-made blackberry wine, trent. (and trent, bad year for cherries and apples this year for us. Ah well, next year.)
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

mmmmmmmm....home-made blackberry wine.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Spaniel...do you need to rush back after the race or can you stick around?

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel...do you need to rush back after the race or can you stick around?
                          The 4-4:30am departure for the race scared my wife away, so I can probably stick around for awhile...not all day but a few hours. Did I hear blackberry wine? Do I sense another home winemaker in the forum?? I just got back in from tying up some of my new vines for the winter...

Feeling the growl again

Well. They changed the course back to the original course. This is confirmed by the RD in an email I sent him today. Spaniel, the course is now flatter.
                            Great. Thanks for that!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I do brew beer and wine! Mostly beer, but some wines too. Sadly, I have no blackberry right now Undecided Obsessor is just projecting methinks Big grin

Feeling the growl again

Final prediction run today....3X1mile repeats. In former attempts (ie on much higher mileage) I found these to be VERY accurate predictors of marathon pace. Whatever I could run pace-wise at a HR of 160-165, I could sustain in the marathon. More often than not it was even toward the higher end of that range. Given my low mileage, I cannot hope to sustain such a high HR, my aerobic threshhold is not that high. So I did a range of 155-160 bpm and got 5:53-5:45. So 2:34 - 2:32 marathon predicted. I'm going to start out at the slow end, go for 2:35-2:34 and see how I feel after half. I haven't felt great enough in the legs lately to hope for a 2:32. Adjust from there. Any more predictions....