First Race Ever - Catch the Bug 5/10k!! (Read 450 times)

colinw

Well, I have now officially completed by first 5k race! I started the C25K program on March 7th, and three months later on June 8th I can say I have run my first race. The Catch The Bug race is a small local 5k and 10k in support of our local Police Department. The money raised goes to local at risk kids and police programs for them, etc. The field was small with only about 130 total for both runs. My 5k field was tiny with only 25 runners, so it was a good introduction to figure out how races work and what I was supposed to do, etc. I picked up my race package (technical tee) and looked around a bit, watched the kids 1k fun run which was entertaining, and then checked out the start area. I lined up and we followed the old school police "bug" for the first little while and then I got into my normal pace and kept on running. I am not overly fast and was getting passed by many of the other runners, especially the 10k folks who were quicker, but I wasn't too concerned with finish time, and just was hoping to run a sub 30 min race. The weather was pretty standard for the local, coastal area of my home town, with fog and overcast skys - temperature about 15 celcius. Nice and cool for a run. I enjoyed my run, and was excited to see things like KM markers and water/aid tables, as well as police blocking traffic, none of which I have on my normal training runs. Foolish to think such basic things are common for everyone else, but it was neat for me to see them as I went. I ran a solid pace and finished up in 26:27, which I was very pleased with. It was great to see my wife and parents and 20 month old son at the finish line!!! it was a good feeling seeing the big clock and fiinsh chute and all of the people cheering you in. The race was small, but everyone was very supportive and friendly - a really nice community. Now I have a race under my belt and I need to figure out what is next. Some other local runners are convincing me to try training for the Marathon By the Sea Half Marathon, but that may be a bit of a stretch for me! All in all, a great day and I enjoyed it.

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

jeffdonahue

Nice job! Racing can be very addicting - you start to tell yourself "If I just did this..." or "If I just ran a few more miles a week, I could cut a few more minutes/seconds off that time." Best of luck with everything.
        What a great idea for a race! Very cute! Good job. I got teary eyed thinking about my first race-- I had many of the same thoughts as you. It's a great feeling to see your family cheering you on... especially those little ones! I have a 3 year old and now 16 month old. The 3 year old was so excited to see me running, he made the whole thing worth it. Congrats! --Anna

You'll ruin your knees!

Very nice! Smiling in every pic...that's good! Congrats on your first race and nice job in beating your goal time. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

obiebyke

Yeeha! Looks like it was easy, colinw. And FAST! Shocked

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Run the race God set B4U

Great job, you look very comfortable too, as well as fast...congrats and I'll bet we'll hear about more races you have signed up for!!! Way to go!!!!!!!!
              5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
                In Boston it's hotter than the surface of the sun, so I can't even begin to tell you how good those conditions sound to me. What a great way to start racing, congrats! Pick up a frame for bib #1604 and write the results on the back. You could even print out this thread, and tuck it under the backing. I bet you won't be able to look at it without smiling. It's just the beginning, hopefully you'll be writing up lots of race reports for years to come.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Congratulations, sounds like you enjoyed your first race completely! Having your family there to cheer you on was wonderful too. Now lets see if your friends can get you to change your mind about that half marathon. Big grin

Michelle

Congratulations! Great job and looks like you had a great time! Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group