Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2012) (Read 6766 times)

jeffdonahue

That race fills too quickly for me. Probably gonna go for New Bedford Half again, but not committed yet. Mile 12 hill still gives me nightmares.

I remember that hill - yeah, that sucked, especially because it comes right after that 2 miles of headwind.

hairshirt knitter

Running my first 'race' of the season tomorrow - half marathon on a hilly course, forecast is for 15cm snow overnight and -6deg with flurries tomorrow. I guess it's not a sub-90 attempt! Actually, not sure how to play it at all - might see how many 4:30/km I can hit and see how I feel.

Close, but not quite.

Today I raced the Frostbite Half-Marathon in 1:30:29. So close it hurts.

The plan was to go out about 7:10 and then pick it up at mile 3. If I was feeling good I would pick it up again for the last 5k. What I didn't plan on was 15+ mph headwind from mile 9-12 or so. Last year at this race a 1:30 would have gotten me 3rd in my age group and about 20th overall. I placed 2nd in my age group and 15th overall.

It was not sub-90, but I at least saw sub-90 on the clock when I came down the last stretch. I feel great about the race I ran and confident that I can get sub-90 at Tom King in March.

Here are the workout details if anyone is curious. This is a PR for me. I ran a 1:39:17 in November.

--

Nashville, TN

Crushing a PR in some tough conditions. Nice work. Definitely setting up for busting through next time. Excellent.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Okay, gonna take my first stab at this at Half at the Hamptons, Hampton Beach N.H. on 2/19. Even if I fail, there's free post-race beer.

Good luck this weekend Greg!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
            L Train

+1

Thanks. I was surprised to realize tonight that I'm actually tweaking just a bit over this race. Hopefully that's a good sign.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

You've done the work, Greg, and that ten-miler was a good workout (and indicator).  Relax, focus, execute. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Close, but not quite.

Today I raced the Frostbite Half-Marathon in 1:30:29. So close it hurts.

The plan was to go out about 7:10 and then pick it up at mile 3. If I was feeling good I would pick it up again for the last 5k. What I didn't plan on was 15+ mph headwind from mile 9-12 or so. Last year at this race a 1:30 would have gotten me 3rd in my age group and about 20th overall. I placed 2nd in my age group and 15th overall.

It was not sub-90, but I at least saw sub-90 on the clock when I came down the last stretch. I feel great about the race I ran and confident that I can get sub-90 at Tom King in March.

Here are the workout details if anyone is curious. This is a PR for me. I ran a 1:39:17 in November.

Oooo! Been there! 

You'll nip it at Tom King, if you have a reasonable day.  

9 minutes is outstanding.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

jpdeaux

Thanks. I was surprised to realize tonight that I'm actually tweaking just a bit over this race. Hopefully that's a good sign.

Greggy, there's a badass in there somewhere. Almost time to let him out.

Just missed it. 1:30:13. Mixed feelings, still a PR, not mad at the effort. I gave it what I had. Next time I'll have a little more.

Hi all.

I'd like to be fit enough to go sub 90 sometime in 2012, but I don't think I'm there yet.

My question is this: I'm running a half on March 17th.  I've never raced a half, and I'm not sure what to target in terms of pace.  Did a 19:27 5K a couple of weeks ago, and since then I've replaced my interval days with long tempo runs to try to get ready for the half.  Today, for example, I did 6 @ 7:06 pace after a 2 mile warmup, which felt fine.  I average only about 37 MPW.

I'm pretty sure I could run 13.1 at 7:25 reasonably comfortably.  However, I tend to race conservatively, and I'm trying to change that and push a little closer to the edge.  I'm tempted to try for something more like 7:00  and just accept that I may well blow up (which I've never done in a race).

What do you guys think?   

Hope I am not butting in here as 1:30 is much too fast for me!

Mark, your 5k time is more than 2:30 faster than mine, so your half time should be at least 10 minutes faster.....a couple of years ago I broke 1:38, so my suggestion is don't be afraid to take a chance, run like its the last time in your life you will have a chance to set a lifetime PB at the half, aim for 1:28.

Go for it!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Run Asics, nice Murrayism, didn't know you were an F1 fan.

Timing a pitstop-

"I'm going to stop the startwatch."

Damon Hill builds up a lead-

"Damon has built up a nice cushion, actually it's more like the whole couch!"

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

What do you guys think?   

Based solely on what you wrote above, and assuming the course isn't particularly difficult, I'd think going out at 7:00 pace would not be overly aggressive. Bank steady 7's for the first 10 miles, which sounds like it shouldn't be too far outside your comfort zone. From there it's just (heh) a 5k. Drop the hammer if you feel good, fight like hell to hold pace if you don't. You might be more ready than you think.