my definition for "Junk Miles" (Read 1107 times)

I know this is a very controversial subject. How can any miles be considered junk? Lately I have been running more frequently. To aid me in my goal I have been making an attempt to run easier. The other day I found a run to be very uncomfortable. I decided to pick up my pace just a bit. All of a sudden everything felt great! So for me Junk miles is this... You are running so slow that you actually increase the stress on your body by running so slow. I think everybody has a certain pace that is natural for them and it isn't good to go much slower than that.
      My definitin for 'junk miles' - Often people are so into running every day that they refuse a day off. so my definition is the day after a really long run and your tired, a little sore and need to be off, but you run 2 or 3 anyway (just so you can say you did it), but hate it and it feels bad....you should have simply rested. To me these are junk miles because you are better off on those days just bagging it and recovering...

Champions are made when no one is watching

mikeymike

Junk miles are the miles you thought about running but didn't.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I agree with Mikey and John. On a day when I have no excuse not to run and sit on my ass instead of running--those are lost miles and junk. But running when my body really NEEDS the rest (most of the time a few super-easy miles make me feel better, but not always) and risking injury...yeah, that's junk, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

If we want to keep the concept around, I'd want to redefine it completely. For me "junk miles" are those miles that I run too hard to recover adequately from, but not hard enough to push the envelope. Those are the miles that make me feel like junk.

A Saucy Wench

So far I agree with Jeff's definition the most. Chris - I've had what you are feeling. Running slow day after day and it just seems getting harder and harder. If you pick it up for a little bit and then let the body relax and drift back to the same effort you felt you were giving before and it stays faster, then faster is probably good. but if it drifts back to slow, slow is probably good. When it is more the HABIT of slow, then the need to recover.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

My definition....miles that hamper your progress by inviting injury (too much) or compromising the quality of hard workouts (either too much or too fast). (See Junk Miles). I also like Hillrunner's take on the subject....junk pace is a more common problem than is junk miles.
                  Junk miles are the miles you thought about running but didn't.
                  bingo.

Jennifer mm#1231

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Miles that I run with my junk hanging out. I do a lot of those.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh no...not another one of "those" threads... Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dave

This thread only meaningful without pictures.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Junk miles do not exist.
                          DoppleBock

If we want to keep the concept around, I'd want to redefine it completely. For me "junk miles" are those miles that I run too hard to recover adequately from, but not hard enough to push the envelope. Those are the miles that make me feel like junk.
                            I am in general agreement with this definition. But there are times I have a planned 2nd or 3rd run of the day and I am still physically spent. I ask myself what the purpose of the planned run will be and if the only purpose is to hit a mileage total and running it will be detrimental to my training - I consider that junk and do not run. If my legs are sluggish and getting the blood flowing will help me recover then run #2 or run #3 would not be junk. Also When I do any run and my body is telling me that I am significantly tearing muscle down to continue - Even though I could continue with a heroic effort - That is junk mileage. I try and save the heroic efforts for races. (Although not much lately)

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

JimR

Either you're training /running properly or you're not. If you're doing something in a run where the losses outweight the benefits, then it's not that these are 'junk miles', it's that you're not doing the workout properly, you're doing the wrong workout or you're just doing something plain wrong. I don't quite get the notion of running so slow you're increasing the stress on your body. If you're making some peculiar adjustment in stride or mechanics that you have to force in order to go that slowly and it's uncomfortable or it hurts, then you're doing it wrong...it's not the going slow part that's the problem. Running slowly a-la recovery run should be pretty comfortable. An easy run should feel like more of an effort but neither of these should be stressful. It really sounds like you're forcing an unnatural stride pattern. When I do a recovery run, I don't try for anything in particular like a short stride or slow turnover, I just slow it way down so it's very easy and very comfortable. To run easy I just move it up a little into an easy breathing pattern but again I'm making no conscious adjustment to stride or pace or turnover, it's all about feeling the effort and being comfortable. And, yes, there's no junk miles, but there sure is junk training.

#artbydmcbride

Where do you run again?

Runners run