Shoes that drain (Read 1280 times)

The bottom of my feet are getting ruined [swamp foot] on longer runs due to the sweat "pooling" into the shoes.  Does anyone run in shoes that drain?  What do you think?

2012= under-goaled

The shirtless wonder

Have you tried different socks?
      dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Most minimalist shoes drain really well if you are into that sorta thing.  Also I find avoid nike and other shoe designed to add gadgets because the insole is designed to be easily removable and the water sits between the insole and the sole of the shoe. 

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Zoot triathlon shoes have drainage ports in the soles.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

The shirtless wonder

Zoot triathlon shoes have drainage ports in the soles.

A friend of mine bought a pair of those.  The carbon fiber in them cracked on both shoes after just a few miles.  But they do have drain holes and the drainage, I believe, worked.

Have you tried different socks?

I use Balega socks ... i have been using that brand for a couple of years ... after about 50 minutes when it's hot / humid you can literally hear the "squishing" on every footfall.  I run in NB mainly through trial and error on various brands -- they also are easy to find my size [15] -- which you can not get in every mfg. 

2012= under-goaled

I am a beginning triathlete and bought a pair of the Zoot Ultra TT 2.0 shoes. I have about 12 miles on them and plan on using them for some brick runs and racing. They are very minimalist and you can really feel the road.

I bought them mainly for the elastic laces, snug fit and to run barefoot in them. That could save you some time in transition. I have yet to run barefoot in them because I tried to run barefoot in a new pair of Pegasus shoes right before I bought the Zoots and ended up tearing the shit out of the heela of both feet on a simple three mile run. My heels are still tender so I haven;t tried running barefoot in the Zoots yet. 

I'll have to keep an eye on the carbon in the soles.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Another thing to consider is running sock-less. I spent the last 10 days running and backpacking without socks. We had rain on some days and dozens of creek crossings up to waist deep on other days - so our shoes stayed wet. My feet didn't fall off, not a single blister, and my shoes seemed to dry faster than if I had been wearing socks.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

The bottom of my feet are getting ruined [swamp foot] on longer runs due to the sweat "pooling" into the shoes.  Does anyone run in shoes that drain?  What do you think?

Unless you're running a steeplechase race, I really seriously doubt you need "drainage" from sweating but you need "better ventilation".  Either way, you will produce so much heat in your shoes, from body heat as well as pounding, it's most likely a losing battle anyways--I really don't know how much those "ventilation" of racing flats work; it may, but I kind of feel it's mostly a gimmick...  The only time I feel them is when I run in them in the MN winter and cold slush comes in through those holes.  But then again, they may be working just fine and I just don't feel them.

I'd suggest you look for shoes with rough mesh on the upper.  I think (and I don't know for sure; I'm saying this purely from looking at the images on-line) those Zoot shoes or some triathlon shoes, as someone else had already suggested, seem to have "rough" mesh for good ventilation.  I know I have a few pairs that they are so "thin" you can literally see through the material--that's the kind of upper you want.  The old ASICS Ohana Racer would be very good--I know they've change the name and the model a bit so I don't know how they are now; I'm talking about the model a few years back (the blue one).  They got just mesh material and no inner layer.  I would never wear them in the winter!  But that's the kind of shoes you should be looking for.  Good luck!

Maybe there are socks that would wick the moisture away better? Every running shoe I can remember owning drains pretty quickly for me. If I run through deep water and soak everything it is just a matter of a few minutes until things dry out again.
                      henryc

I am a beginning triathlete and bought a pair of the Zoot Ultra TT 2.0 shoes. I have about 12 miles on them and plan on using them for some brick runs and racing. They are very minimalist and you can really feel the road.

I have a pair of these with 500+ miles on them and they do indeed drain rather well.  Sometimes I swear that it sucks up the water too through the holes.  Whatever it is, I always wear nice socks that seem to keep my feet nice and dry-ish, so I guess that's a recommendation.

Menace to Sobriety

I get squishy feet after about an hour in the summer, maybe 90 minutes in the cooler months. For me its not that my feet sweat, but the sweat runs off my legs. Wicking socks won't help much in high humidity. When the air is already laden with that much moisture, there is no where for any additional water to go, besides just slinging off. More open mesh uppers might be the best you can do, unless its practical to change socks at some point during your long runs. I guess you could try sweatbands around the ankles if it was a run off issue. At least they would be easier to change.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

K-Swiss makes a pair that drain. Perhaps not as much as you'd like though.
                               sweatbands around the ankles 

That's just wrong. 

Actually the word "sweatbands" seems out of place on runners, maybe its OK on tennis players or something. 

ultramarathon/triathlete

+ 1 on the Zoots

+1 on the Balega

(though not together).

I race Rhode Island IM70.3 a weekend or so ago.  So hot I was pouring water on my head at every mile, ice down the trishirt and shorts.  My Nike Lunar Trainers didn't drain a drop. ug.

Squish Squish squish for 13.1 miles. 

NASTY looking feet after (though they were fine once they dried).

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team