Life Expectancy of the FR 305? (Read 1448 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...so I've been reading around re: Garmin's out-of-warranty repair process and it sounds like they don't send a replacement unit until after they have assessed the defective unit and determined whether to repair or replace...looks like this takes a few weeks.

So I got to thinking.  I still have my completely unused original HRM strap from my Garmin.  These appear to be fetching $25-30 on eBay.  I could pay the extra <$50 to buy an entirely new 305 on eBay with a full warranty, instead of just 90 days...sell one of the HRMs and be out no more than maybe $25 more than the price of the $79 repair option.  I think I'm going to go that route.  Plus I will have extra wrist straps, an extra charging base, etc.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, rock ON!!!  I have an Amazon Visa that I use for Amazon purchases (and at those random places that don't take Discover--my primary CC).  Every so often I get a random bonus/GC applied to my account.  Apparently I had one of these, so even with 2 day shipping I purchased a new 305 for just over $103.  TGIF! Big grin

Order Summary

Items: $127.99
      Shipping & Handling: $10.98

Total Before Tax: $138.97
      Estimated Tax To Be Collected: $0.00
      Total: $138.97
      Gift Certificate/Card: -$35.60

Order Total: $103.37

~ Sarah Kay

Woohoo!  Nice!!! Can't beat that deal.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Woohoo!  Nice!!! Can't beat that deal.

My Dutch hubby even sounds impressed! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

ShockedNice!  About 40 bucks less then what I paid for my 305 less than 12 mounts ago.

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

MrH

ShockedNice!  About 40 bucks less then what I paid for my 305 less than 12 mounts ago.

If you return it you only have to pay $79. Smile

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

If you return it you only have to pay $79. Smile

SHHHHH....I'm trying to get Denise to send me her broken 305.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

SHHHHH....I'm trying to get Denise to send me her broken 305.

I'd send you mine...except DH is an engineer and a tinkerer and I think he's hoping I'll let him disassemble it. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

I'd send you mine...except DH is an engineer and a tinkerer and I think he's hoping I'll let him disassemble it. Tongue

If he cracks it open, Garmin will not replace it, so you should probably just send it too me. Let me know what shipping is and I'll paypal youSmile

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If he cracks it open, Garmin will not replace it, so you should probably just send it too me. Let me know what shipping is and I'll paypal youSmile

*snort*  Let me think about it.  I'll probably just end up hanging onto it as a back-up.

~ Sarah Kay

Here late, but mine lasted about 3 years. I then sent it in (with a $50 check) to get it checked out when it stopped working. They pretty much sent me a new or refurbished one for $50 that works fine. I did get the 310xt for my bday, but I like the 305 better. So the 310xt is collecting dust until tri season.

Curious as to why you like the 305 better than the 310?

Here late, but mine lasted about 3 years. I then sent it in (with a $50 check) to get it checked out when it stopped working. They pretty much sent me a new or refurbished one for $50 that works fine. I did get the 310xt for my bday, but I like the 305 better. So the 310xt is collecting dust until tri season.

small things like

1. It doesn't sync up when I want it to, I would rather have a plug and just plug it in and transfer the data. Sometimes i'll run a mile outside and run back in to go to the bathroom (sorry TMI), and it will sync. Then when I get back from my run I will place it next to my computer and go shower, when I get out it still hasn't syncd. Just inconsistent. 

2. When you pause the 310xt on a run, you can't view the run under history until the lap has cleared or it has been transferrd to the computer. Sometimes I'm curious to see my avg heart rate for a run in the middle or towards the end, and I can't do it on this one or can't do it easy.

3. And lastly sometimes after it has "transferred," the watch data is gone. The total length of the run will be deleted on the watch history, but the total time will be there. So it will say 0Miles in 30 min. Really weird, not sure if its just mine or happens to other people too.Garmin support was useless with this, as they said just re-install all the software and update which I did. 

I do like that I can swim with it for the triathlons, just think they rushed it out though. 

Ah, k, gotcha.  Mine doesn't really have problems syncing, but mine has similar behavior if I don't put the run in history and it does a transfer.  The run will sometimes just be gone off of the watch.  I think you are right that they lost a few things between the 305 functionality and the 310.  Thanks for the info.  Was just curious.