Can anyone suggest a sport watch for a 13 y.o. girl? (Read 920 times)

jeffdonahue

My daughter is 13 and did XC for the first time this Fall... and she loved it. She wants to do runs with me all year to improve for next year. She has asked for a sport watch for Christmas, but I am afraid that the women's watches will be too big for her wrist. She is really tiny - maybe 73 pounds. Her wrist is so small that I am afraid that even those small womens watches will be huge on her. But since it's for Christmas I cant take her to try one on. Can someone recommend a sports watch for a small girl? I am looking for one that has both a chronograph (with a decent number of laps) and also one that has at least one countdown timer. Thanks Jeff
      you may be better off just buying the Timex Ironman of your choice and then putting a girls band on it. Also a velcro band can go really small although may get smelly from the sweat.

I'd just suggest it not have too many features, stats or anything that might take the fun out of it for her. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Teresadfp

One day at a time

If she's like my 12-year-old daughter (who also runs XC), she'll probably lose it fairly quickly, so don't spend too much money on it. Wink

mikeymike

I have on of those (13 y.o. daughter, ran a little xc, wants to run on her own sometimes) I told her to look at the clock when she leaves the house and look at it again when she gets back and that's good enough for now.  She seemed okay with that.

Runners run

C-R

you may be better off just buying the Timex Ironman of your choice and then putting a girls band on it. Also a velcro band can go really small although may get smelly from the sweat.

Ding.

That's what I did with my two boys. $15 ea and good to go.

Curiously enough they forget to use them for nearly all runs but they like the fact that they have them.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

xhristopher

Jeff, I know this isn't what you are looking for, but recently I noticed this watch at City Sports. Very minimal.

xor

deuce?

xhristopher

deuce?

I know. There's a lot you can do with that, especially after Trent's thread yesterday. I'm going to take the high road and say Duces Wild.

xor

>> Duces Wild.

That makes me il.

xhristopher

>> Duces Wild.

That makes me il.

OK, Here you go. This is the last duce I'm gonna drop.

(sorry, Jeff)

I use the one I got at Target for $12.  It's got stopwatch; lap-time; light-up...  What more do you need?  McMillan gave me really nice $50 adidas watch but they are a bit too heavy to run with, it's got a lot of functions I rarely use, so I only wear them to impress people.

Until Santa brought me a Garmin for Christmas last year all i ever used was a walmart Timex or Casio-----and they usually cost between $7 and $15 and had a timer, lap timer and back light.......

They are fine -- dont cost much......for a youngster -- they are perfect.........

Champions are made when no one is watching

Julia1971

I've got pretty small wrists - not 13 y.o. girl small, though - and wear a women's Timex Ironman sportswatch.  It's got lap features and a timer.  I measured it and at its tightest, the inside of the watch is a little over 4 1/2" around.  If her wrists are at least that big, it should fit fine.

ETA: I have the women's model.

hokiemamba

I too use a Timex Ironman and so does my DD.  We both have small wrists and the women's version fits well.   A word of caution....some of them do splits, but no RECALL, which makes it pretty useless.  For a bit more money, you can get the one that has splits and recall.  Also, I tried one of the cheapo ones you can get at Walmart (can't find it to tell you the brand) and it worked okay.  Probably good enough for a kid and it did both splits and recall.  I quit using it because the battery died and it was just easier to get a new watch, especially since it didn't go over an hour for timing....it started over.