Treadmill v outside (Read 1999 times)

Freerunner

I don't really like running on a treadmill, but I have too, because I have two little ones ( 3 and 5)and I can't take them running with me yet!(single parent here) PLus I get embarrassed because they do out run me! Shocked I had a terrific run the the treadmill last night though and it does seem that it takes longer to run a mile by a minute or so then it does outside. I ran for 41 mins for a 5K on Sunday and it took me 38 mins last night on the treadmill to run 2 1/4 mile! Confused There is something wrong with that! PLus after last night I was exhausted as where sunday I had some energy left in me! I feel that I am getting a better, and more boring workout on the treadmill!
    gl22

Many People think that because the belt is moving, running on a treadmill is easier so they should be able to run faster but anyone that has done some AB tests for time will find that you can run faster outside (if it is a reasonable temp and you don't have to content with hills and wind). The biggest reason for this is inertia. Once you are moving in relation to the ground your body builds a momentum that actually decreases the amount of energy needed to continue forward. (if you don't believe me try running at top speed and then stop moving your legs!) On the treadmill since you never build momentum, there is no inertia moving you forward so every step requires more effort so that you don't get shot off the back. This is the reason that you can just jump off the mill at anytime without any problems. If you find yourself a nice flat running area on a day that is 65 degrees with no wind, test it out. You will have better time onthe ground. Remember, left foot, right foot GL
      evtish

I run faster on the TM...for now. I ran exclusively on a TM for my first month (0 incline) and got down to 7 mm for 3 miles...then I ran outside and couldn't come close to keeping that pace. Road running was alot harder for me, maybe bc I trained my running style efficiency for the TM. Anyway, you sweat way more on the TM bc it's pretty hot in the gym and you're not getting the convection effect of the surrounding air. I read that setting the incline to ~1.5 on the TM simulates the same leaning forward body angle that you need when running outside, so I do that now. It's also more effort running with the incline. One thing I don't like about the TM is that if I go at a pace faster than 6:30, it feels really unstable like it's about to fall apart. One thing I like about the TM is it's lower impact.
          Personally, I can't stand the treadmill. I can go outside and drop 5mi without terrible difficulty, but even 2 on a Dreadmill can make me exhausted and, frankly, a little insane. I just can't take it. Something about the fact that they run at a consistent pace and the human body isn't really designed to do that. I make too many minute changes for something like that when I run. They work for some people though. My coach in college really loved to get on the treadmill once in a while. "I love doing the occasional workout on one, you can really hammer on those things and get a good sense of where you're at." Really hammer? Ok so that might be true, it's just not really for me.

~J

I'm not a huge fan of the treadmill...but we just got one for my wife and I and it's better than running outside when it's cold, dark and slushy. Plus I get to watch Sports Center while running. I do make sure though that I get at least one outside run in each week because the fresh air is great and I can't be a weather wimp all the time. I'll be excited when the weather warms up and it gets lighter earlier. It does feel good to run out in the elements...treadmills just can't replace the sights, sounds and smells of Mother Nature.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I've run on my 'mill a few times lately and noticed that I felt like I was running much faster than it was saying -- treadmill at 9:00/mi felt like about 8:15/mi to me. At first, I thought it might be a calibration issue. However, my heart rate was actually consistent with the 9:00 pace. So a lot of the differences in perceived effort can be an illusion, which I intend to counter by parking a TV in front of my treadmill and distracting myself from the running. Smile

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

A Saucy Wench

treadmill for me is punishment for not getting up early enough to run. I have to be done running by 6:45 am if I want to run outside, otherwise I have to go to the gym and suffer the dreadmill. Actually the only way I can do more than about 20 minutes on the tread is to do intervals or progressions, something where I can stay focused. TV is just not that distracting.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's 7 degrees Ferenheit here in Central Canada. In this weather, I really only have 3 options. Treadmill, Track, or not running in the Winter. I'm not willing to give up running in the winter. I will tolerate a Treadmill. I also run on the track an my local pool. The best way to eliminate boredom on the Treadmill is to play a game while running. I listen to my MP3 Player while I run, and increase the speed every 3rd song. My challenge is to see how much speed I can handle.
                  HTFU! Wink Personally, I can deal with cold (tomorrow is supposed to be windchills in the negatives and I am still planning to get out for at least 3-4 miles...today it's windchill of ~9) and heat better than I can deal with boredom...but I also have an ADHD kid and share a lot of his traits (he has a favorite shirt that says "I tried to be good, but I got bored" Wink), so that's probably got a lot to do with it. I can understand the not running in the dark thing better than the cold thing. I fear creeps and inattentive drivers FAR more than I fear frostbite. That's what balaclavas and layers are for. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Life is Good

Do to a knee injury I was forced to walk on a treadmill for almost a year, I eased my way back into running on it as well and actually burned the machine up ( health rider) so I invested in another one, I use it for cross training mainly; a quick walk or Jog in the morning just to get the blood flowing, and an occasional long run(5 miles or so) if the weather is crap..I don't believe it is real accurate in fact I see major differences in the mileage between my old Tm and the newer one ( same type of work out set the same way brings different results) I try to change things up alot to keep down the redundancy but this basic setting works for me: incline set at 4% and a speed of about 7 or 8 works well and I know that I can run and average 9 min mile so I just calculate my run that way. as far as boredom, it's hard to change that, my mp3 player serves me well,I have my TM near a window so I can a at least look outside Big grin Photobucket

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

Yesterday it was raining and 36 degrees out. I made it 1 minute 28 seconds on the TM. Then I went out side to run. I made it 31 minuets once on my tread mill..... Mentally I just can't take it.

...And I do.

I definitely prefer to run outside but I am grateful to have my TM on days that I can't run outside. My gait is definitely different on the TM and so I don't run as fast on it and I have given up on tracking my time on it. I just use it to keep up my mileage and don't stress about it. It is a tool --- that's all.
                          Yep, me too (my fear is stray dogs, not people). I've been too scared since then to go back out in the dark (not sure why it bothers me less in the daylight, I guess the security of more people being around or driving by or something makes me feel safer) so I am back to doing my weekday early AM runs at the gym.
                          Reminds me about a night, I went out for a run with my 3 children, age, 21, 20 and 18. We run trails along a river which winds through the city. Well most of the trail is heavily wooded and you are at least five hundred of yards away from any houses or streets for most of the trail. The trees are so thick in parts that you can't even see the sky. I suggested to the kids that it is pretty dangerous down here for a number of reasons, like not be able to see 10 feet and that we should just cut the run short and go back. They scoffed and made fun of my fears, even trying to psyche me out by running ahead and then jumping out from behind the trees as I'd pass. Needless to say we didn't see anyone for the hour we were down there. We did make it back without any problem. The next day my son and I are running the same trai, this time in the afternoon. We hear a loud pow, startled I said to my son "what was that?" His reply "I don't know but don't you wish it was dark right now?" I said "Yes" he replies "Exactly it is safer down here at night, nobody comes down here."............HMMMMMMM

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

At least the mill has given me a better appreciation for my outdoor runs ... today was FANTASTIC Big grin Oh, and I can outside again TOMORROW and one more time on MONDAY (no work) before I have to go back to the mill until Friday. C'mon light ... or, perhaps, I could convince J that I need to quit my job so I can stay at home and run.
                            2009: BQ?
                              Wow, glad to see I'm not the only one who has issues with the treadmill! I really feel as though I am running a greater distance than what the treadmill mileage is telling me, it drives me crazy. Everything I have researched so far about this states the opposite and that it is easier to run on a treadmill, etc. I did 7.5 miles yesterday at the gym and was soooo bored, ugh, but I didn't want to run in 7 degree weather. Day off from training today but plan on getting back outside for my run tomorrow!
                              pitrunner

Ha! I was just complaining about this not even a half hour ago to my fiance! It's so discouraging to feel like you're really pushing it and then when you look down you're almost a mile off from where you thought Sad I also agree with you on the "not feeling like you ran" part. I did 5 miles yesterday on the TM and today I kept finding myself getting upset for taking a Sunday off...it would take a few seconds for me to be like, "wait a minute, I DID run yesterday..." How wierd!