Spartans 5k (Read 305 times)

hairshirt knitter

Welcome to Caledonia, Nova Scotia (www.discovercaledonia.ca) which today hosted the 4th Spartans 5k run/walk, an early season livener for Nova Scotia runners. Over 100 entrants showed up on an overcast and cool afternoon for the out and back flat, fast course. The event is a fundraiser for the sports teams at North Queens Rural High School and was well organised and hosted by the school. The event has grown in each of it's years; it started off as a locals event, but is now listed at runnovascotia.ca and is attracting club runners from further afield. For my own part, this was my first race in 7 years, the furthest I have run in at least 2 years and only my sixth run in a year! My only goal really was not to injure myself as I have struggled to get back into running without pulling calf muscles. From that point of view it was a success, 24:39 and reasonably pain free! According to the log here, that makes it 7:57 miling which is fine by me :-) From my family's point of view, the race was a greater success though - my 10yo son came in not very far behind me, and my 12 yo daughter and wife came in together around 29 minutes - wow, son got a bronze and daughter got gold in their age groups! Given that the wife was in intensive care last Fall after a horse accident, I think we all did a great job. So, first step towards a comeback for me, and my first post at runningahead.com. Thanks for listening!
      Congrats and welcome to the boards!
        Congratulations! That is a great race. Welcome to RA. Keep logging your runs and posting here. It has done me a world of good!