For those who run LOOOONG runs... (Read 868 times)

Baby bean!

and I'm talking over 10 miles... do you run the whole thing or do you take walk breaks?

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I'm new to the 10+ mile territory, but I do run those straight through. I tried stopping to walk on one run and found it only made it harder to keep going. Others may have different thoughts, but that's just my experience.

Chris
      PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

and I'm talking over 10 miles... do you run the whole thing or do you take walk breaks?
        I usually run the whole thing, but I might take a walk break to drink, if I'm stopping by somewhere to pick up a water bottle. My guess is most people that do long runs usually run them straight through, but that's not based on any actual research Smile MTA: I don't think there is anything wrong with walking part of it. Also, if I stop at a drinking fountain and drink, well, that's not walking, but that is outright stopping Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I usually run most of it, although I walk when I take a drink of water and I do get stopped at some stop lights. You will find out what works best for you. Congrats on getting to the 10 mile mark. Bob http://bobrunner.blogspot.com

jfa

Don't feel that you have to run through it all. Do what's right for you Cool

Most of my runs are over 10 miles and I walk when 1) I'm taking a drink from my water bottle (1 - 2 times/hr) - otherwise I can choke on it. 2) I'm walking in/out of the restroom door when taking a potty break (sometimes needed @ 10 miles) 3) A hill gets steep enough that I can walk faster than run up it

Baby bean!

I usually run most of it, although I walk when I take a drink of water and I do get stopped at some stop lights. You will find out what works best for you. Congrats on getting to the 10 mile mark. Bob http://bobrunner.blogspot.com
                Oh, I'm soooo not at the 10 mile mark! Wink In time...in time. Big grin

Goals:
                Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I've done both, depending on how I feel and what I'm trying to accomplish. Either way is great!
                    I walk during gatorade breaks -- just a few steps. My long runs go up to 22 miles or so prior to marathons. But I usually have to walk by mile 25 of the marathons... Sad
                      I run / walk, but more run than walk. Most walk breaks are for terrain (big hills, mud, rolling rocks, stream crossings, etc) and eating, pit stops, etc. The longer the run, the walk breaks *might* increase, even as a pct of run. (my long runs are generally 4-8 hrs when training for ultra and include hills) The only time I consider run /walking on a fixed schedule is for winter runs on flat frozen swamps, and it's still easier to eat while walking than running, so I do, so I'm sure to get hydration bladder tube tucked pack under clothes so it doesn't freeze - but I usually forget the schedule by the end of an hour, if not before.
                      "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                      HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Hills and Heat are usually when I find I need them most. Nothing wrong as long as you keep it brief imo.

• Black Canyon 100k
                        • RRR
                        • Zane Grey 100k
                        • High Lonesome 100
                        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                        • The Bear 100
                        • Javelina Jundred (?)

I run the entire way, although if I'm running trails on a 25-30 miler and come to a really steep hill I'll probably walk up that.

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

jeffdonahue

I run most of it - only really take walk breaks to drink water. My walk breaks are usually about 15 seconds long or so. Then there are the lights, I usually will stretch if I hit a red light - that is if I cant just take a turn at the lights wihtout throwing off my run route much.
                              If it's more than about 10 miles, I use an 8 to 1 run/walk ratio. Eight minutes into it, I'm walking for a minute. If it's longer than 20 miles, I'll add to the minute of walking as necessary. I believe you get most of the time back, the breaks allow your running segments to be slightly faster than they would without breaks.

E.J.
                              Greater Lowell Road Runners
                              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

They don't call them long runs for nothing. Wink You shouldn't need to walk on a long run. If you do, you are either running at too fast a pace or running too far for your conditioning. If you are properly prepared and work your way up to them gradually and run them under reasonable conditions, 10 mile plus long runs are not that big a deal. Boredom will likely be the biggest issue to overcome. Tom