Back of the packers??? (Read 1143 times)

Cause I CAN

I have heard people whine that they run a 10 minute mile or a 4:30 marathon or whatnot and I laugh....I rarely see anyone on these boreds where I'm at...12/13 minute miles, I could pull off an 11 minute mile maybe by itself but that still kills me.
    Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
    http://terri7291.blogspot.com/

undue monkey

I think some of it is false modesty, people who are really just fishing for a pat on the back. Not that I've ever done it Roll eyes You'll even see more talented people carping (e.g., mid 2:30's male complaining about being barely as good as national class female.) It can be tough to swallow that even with a crapload of work and sacrifice that there's always a raft of faster folks.

Cause I CAN

It'd be nice just to hear from anyone who runs my pace....
          Hey Peach....From your caption I'm assuming you've completed at least one marathon. After I finish my first marathon we can talk about pace! I bet we can also talk about perserverance, determination, toughness (both physical and mental), strength, endurance, guts and joy! I'm bettin' you've experienced all that and more. Thanks for posting and thanks for sharing that you're proud of 6:06...I'm proud for you! That's something that I've yet to accomplish. At the end of April, if I got the perserverance, determination, toughness (both physical and mental), strength, endurance, guts and joy (I've always got plenty of that)...we'll talk about it.
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
          Wingz

Professional Noob

I run your pace. Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

I have been lurking for a while- so this is my first post. I just HAD to answer you. My normal pace tends to be about 12 mn miles although I just started trying low heart rate training so today I ran 5 miles at a whopping 14+ miles a minute (but I do have to say if was my best feeling run so far). So no you are not the slowest, I might be competing with you for that title! Wink

Prophet!

I have been lurking for a while- so this is my first post. I just HAD to answer you. My normal pace tends to be about 12 mn miles although I just started trying low heart rate training so today I ran 5 miles at a whopping 14+ miles a minute (but I do have to say if was my best feeling run so far). So no you are not the slowest, I might be competing with you for that title! Wink
                uh oh...look out RA...more Hawaii people around Smile aloha christy.. MTA - oh..and i'm a 4:40 marathoner and proud of it Smile .

Big Chicken!

Peach~I read your RR over at CR when you finished your marathon. I think I might have even posted a congrats (or I meant to). I remember feeling like I had a chance to finish my marathon (Jan 13) and be proud of what I did. I am slow as well. My LR training pace has been about 12-13 minute miles. I am following a run/walk program (Bingham's Marathoning for Mortals). I am hoping to get to 10mm for a 15K in May (primary goal to run the entire distance). I'll adjust this as necessary. I think sometimes people get too concrete in their goals and become upset when they miss by even the slightest bit. I had high goals for this marathon training but everything seemed to be working against me; sometimes it felt as though DH was against me. He gets upset when he misses his goal pace for the day by 2 seconds. I make do having to miss training days because of his job. So I learned to readjust goals constantly. And it has translated to all my goals, not just running goals. I don't get too upset when I hear people complain about not making their sub-2:45 marathon goal. If I worked that hard and everything went perfectly (weather, hydration, etc) I would get upset as well. But then it's time to pick up, dust off and set a new goal. If they want to be pissy for the day over something relatively small and ruin someone else's day because they can't get over it, fine. Just stay away from me till your pout-fest is over.
                  Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!

Dog-Love

It doesn't matter what others are doing as much as it matters what you want to do. No way am I going to break a 3 hour marathon (I am a 4:45:00 myself) but I sure like running as fast as I can. Sometimes its an 11 minute mile and sometimes its an 8 min mile. Sometime I like to (gasp) walk while I watch sea lions in the water. Brings my time down though! Wink
                    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                      Peach, back in the mid 90's we had a guy on our Compuserve Running & Racing forum who missed being eligible for the Olympic Marathon Trials by less than 2 minutes. Naturally we all hailed him as a hero. One day he put up a tear jerker of a post identifying the 4, 5, and 6 hour marathoners as the true heros. He said "I run as hard as I can for 2 hours and 25 minutes but YOU people go as hard as you can for over twice that long. I could never do it" He's right ..... always think of yourself as a hero, and a marathoner. Wink

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

If you run a 4:30 marathon at the ING NYC Marathon there will be about 600 people crossing the finish within a minute of you and maybe 9 crossing at the same second. It's hard to feel abnormally slow when you are surrounded by people at the same speed. I agree with noonan, some of them are fishing for a pat on the back.
                        I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock

Cause I CAN

Thanks! It doesn't upset me, just think its funny for some reason. I'm happy with my time as it is but people tend to assume I walked part of it. There is nothing wrong with walking but I didn't. I think like some I started out too fast, had a 12 minute pace going till mile 15 and gradually slowed down from there. At the end of mile 22, clock said 5:00 hrs, I picked up the pace and kept it going for about 2 miles and legs started cramping real bad so I slowed down again....so I guess I did the run/jog method Clowning around I think my over all pace was 13:58 pace.
                            I have heard people whine that they run a 10 minute mile or a 4:30 marathon or whatnot and I laugh....I rarely see anyone on these boreds where I'm at...12/13 minute miles, I could pull off an 11 minute mile maybe by itself but that still kills me.
                            Hey Girl! Proud back of the pack(er) here! My pace runs anywhere from 11:45 to 12:30, sometimes 12:45(especially when those dang hills pop up!). Background--About 10 years ago, when I started to train for my first marathon, I could run a 9:30 to 10:00 pace. Of course, I was 10 years younger, and10 (20?...25) lbs lighter. I won't go into my story about how I fell off the running wagon...only to say...I took a running break (and got older, and heavier, and slower!! Blush Cry Hubby and I started running again late this summer. We joined a local running/training group that we had ben a part of before. The first few weeks out there...it was rough (esp since I thought I could make a 4 0 minute run easy while on Atkins No Carb). But even so, I had to have a talk with myself (which I do on long runs or training runs anyway)...a little pep talk...that I shouldn't expect myself to be able to run the same pace as I had 9-10 years ago, for obvious reasons What was important was that I was out there, again. I found that, while I would like to be faster, I enjoyed being at the back. There is a group of us who are the back of the pack folks for our running club...but we have a good time. It doesn't matter (to me) what pace I have right now. I'm going to cross the finish line anyway...and that's what it is all about!
                            Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
                              My fast pace is about 13:30 mpm. My easy pace is just under 15 mpm. You've heard the comment 'you could walk faster' haven't you? Well, I timed myself walking at a very brisk pace over my running course. I actually walk a 17 mpm, so, NO I couldn't walk it faster. Just needed to prove it to myself. I look at my pace as my gift to mid and back-of-the pack runners everywhere - no matter how bad a day you are having or how slow you feel, remember that there is someone out there (me) a LOT slower. Then smile. Yes and keep running because I'm getting faster with each pound lost and each mile run. In another year, I might be running a fast 13:25 mpm Big grin
                              Have you got a flag?
                              Wingz

Professional Noob

Yeah, it's taken me two years to get up to a 13 minute mile training pace... My super-fast dream-goal is to beat 1 hour in the 10K. I don't think I'll make it this year either. Wink Just one more reason to keep running, though. Smile

Roads were made for journeys...