Long run percentage (Read 1101 times)

invisible

What percentage of your total weekly mileage, is your long run? I read that according to Jack Daniels, 40% is supposed to be the highest. Anyone see any danger in 50%? I'd like to increase my long run distance while keeping my weekly mileage the same, by of course, reducing the distance of the other runs.
    90 percent of the game is not giving up.

A Saucy Wench

I'd like to increase my long run distance while keeping my weekly mileage the same, by of course, reducing the distance of the other runs.
      Why do you want to do that? I'm not being snarky here, truly curious as to why. I have run as high as 50%, but that was usually because I didnt have the weekly mileage to support the long run I thought I needed to run. I wouldnt go that high again on a consistant basis. imo - I can't see that it would provide you with any benefit to reduce your support miles in pursuit of the long run. To answer your question I dont usually calculate but looking back mine tends to be around 30-40% during peak marathon training and maybe 20-30% during base building.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Spencer Davis

One run being half your weekly miles? Doesn't Sound like a good idea to me, you might be able to run long distance, but you'll be really slow without lots of fartlek, intervals, ect.
          You do do know this is one of the most hotly debated subjects there is? If you only run 4 days or less per week I suppose 40-45% might be okay. If you are running 5 or more days you probably should cap it around 30-35% Also you should be able to tell how much recovery your body needs. If your long runs are significantly harming your weekday runs they are probably to long. It is understandable if you are sore the day after your long run, however you should be able to run somewhat comfortably at least for a moderate distance two days after the run.

A Saucy Wench

I think what I am driving at is not the question of "what is the right %" that depends a lot on your goals. But typically when the % is on the higher end it is because someone is trying to ramp long run miles faster than they are capable of ramping midweek miles and keep the % low. Like training for a marathon with a lower base. Depending on your goals, 50% might be ok. I dont get the desire to reduce midweek mileage and increase long run to keep the miles static. What is the goal?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I think it partly depends on wether you train by weeks or not. That is, would you be doing that every week - or every other week? I typically use microcycles near 2 wks. My long runs are about 40% of that 2-wk volume, but may be 50% of a 7-day period. IOW, if my long run is 50% of a week's volume, then I only do it every 2-3 wks. But they're on trails at easy effort. Part of my enjoyment of running is running for many hours over hill and dale. Would I use that distribution for training competitively for shorter distances once I had a base above, say, 8 hr,- probably not.
              "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                I have a special thing for AKTrail so pretty much whatever she says, I agree! ;o) The percentage of "long run" actually depends on the other part of week or whatever your mile stone is. If, say, you are a pretty much a beginner, and let's say your long run is 5 miles; at that level, let's say you'd run 2 miles on Tuesday, skip, skip, another 2 miles on Thursday, skip...maybe throw another mile on Saturday because there's nothing better to do or no football game in the afternoon... There, long run 50%. On the other hand, if you truly like to run and you actually RUN; then you'll do a mile on Monday, 2 miles on Tuesday, another mile on Wednesday, 2 on Thursday, a mile on Friday and a mile or two on Saturday... That's not much at all for even a beginner's standard, but the long run now becomes 35+%... I think very many people who actually don't really care too much for running today are running. They want shortcut. They want what they can do with very minimum. 3 days a week for actual training? I think a question actually is; Do you actually like to run? Or do you want to run a marathon, or a half marathon, in 3 months by following some cookie-cutter program just to say "I did one!" and forget about it after that? If former, do what you feel happy about; as you get fitter, you'll be able to figure out how far you can do without hurting yourself and, after the fact, calculate what % that long run was and say, okay, this is the safe % for the long run. If latter, well, there are lots of programs on-line. You'll probably end up skipping 3 or 4 days a week of "training" anyways and it'll probably end up long run being 50% or so. It's manageable. I wouldn't quite recommend it; but you can survive it.
                mikeymike

This again? Sweet. In general I say the lower % the better--achieved not by reducing the length of your long run but by increasing your non-long-run mileage.

Runners run

I agree that this depends on your goals and your total weekly milage. Personal anecdote: I ran my first marathon last year doing probably an average of 4.5 days a week of running. I did full blown 20 miler runs that were anywhere from 40-60% of my weekly mileage. Could I do them? Sure. But I was always feeling worn out. When I got to the marathon I did fine up till mile 20 and then my pace, mind, and body crashed (apparently that happens to marathoners these days!) Last month I ran the same marathon a year later. I was running 5-6 days a week this time and had a strong weekly base in addittion to my long runs. My long runs this time represented about 33% of my weekly mileage. I ran a negative split, never crashed, and felt great at the end (as much as one can). I believe this is in large part due to the extra weekly mileage, not coming from the long run. So... you could do 50% LR's... I did. Is it smart? Probably not. Is it efficient? Probably not.... but it all depends on your goals and what you want to do with your running. Even for simple weight loss and fitness though, I believe it is still better to do consistent running throughout the week rather than binging on the weekends. So really, consistency is the better benefit no matter what the goals are! ... oh yeah... and what does everyone think about ipods while running...? Clowning around
                    Eustace Tierney

YoYo

... oh yeah... and what does everyone think about ipods while running...? Clowning around
                      Not for me thanks! I dont like hats either!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

invisible

I love to run. I run 3 times a week. In miles, at the moment, I run 10, 8 and 6. I have no interest in racing. As the Chinese proverb states: It has already been proven that one horse can run faster than another horse. Smile Why do I want to try this hair brained scheme? My body handles 25 to 30 miles a week, very nicely and when I stay in that range I NEVER have injuries. So, I want to play in that range.
                        xor

If you love running and want to stay near 30, instead of adding to that long run, why don't you consider a 4th day? Something like 5-8-5-10.

invisible

I only want 3 days of running per week. I have too much other stuff on my plate.
                            mikeymike

I have no interest in racing.
                              Then why are you reading Jack Daniels and worrying about your long run? Just run how much you feel like running.

Runners run

BeeRunB

What percentage of your total weekly mileage, is your long run? I read that according to Jack Daniels, 40% is supposed to be the highest. Anyone see any danger in 50%? I'd like to increase my long run distance while keeping my weekly mileage the same, by of course, reducing the distance of the other runs.
                                Experiment. If it works, you'll know. If it doesn't, you'll know. --Jimmy