Fm AND Am radio wanted (Read 677 times)

tomatolover

I'm a total NPR junkie who is fortunate to live within listening distance to WNYC's AM and FM stations.    Finding a headphoned radio for FM AND AM reception that works well, doesn't break easily and is compact has been a total drag...I've gone through 4 radios in the last year and am on my second Sony Megabase Walkman which works but has headphone pullout issues.    The guy at Radioshack told me "nobody listens to AM anymore except old people" and "goodluck" with my search...so, aside from strapping an old Am/FM transistor radio to my waist, does anyone have a more feasible alternative?

The shirtless wonder

Perhaps satellite radio?

Sirius Stilleto II

Imminent Catastrophe

A lot of NPR programming is available via podcast. Listen on your schedule.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Another NPR junkie here. My Sony Ericsson Walkman cell phone has a radio built in (can listen to it only through the headphones). It works great and on my runs I can have news, music and a phone all in one. Oh, of course there is a camera built in so if there is a pretty sunrise I can take pics also.

Ewa

I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

+1

As a side comment, I will say this -- I hate sports broadcasts on FM.  I know the sound quality and reception is markedly inferior, but football on AM is just the way it's supposed to sound.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep, I have logged many a run with Saturday NPR programming on days other than Saturday. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Yep, I have logged many a run with Saturday NPR programming on days other than Saturday. Smile

Me too!

TRUST THE PROCESS

xor

<tangent>

The thing I miss most about AM radio is listening to it in the car when I was a kid... during a thunderstorm.  Any lightning strike nearby would augment the broadcast with the coolest ZOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! noise.  I can't believe that wasn't recorded and used as a sound effect in something like Star Wars (where the effects/foley people used all kinds of things you wouldn't expect)

</tangent>

tomatolover

I used to listen to music, but that was before I was doing any distance over 4 miles...now, the radio keeps me company far better than my own playlists might...I  do download podcasts, but i prefer live radio (i wanna know what's happening NOW, not the lasttime I downloaded) and the best of that radio locally is on the AM dial.

an amazing likeness

Due to some programs being only on AM, I recently was on the same quest, Lex and was never able to find anything with the AM.  I had to give up and just go with FM radio as the only radio band.

Post back if you hit on a small, AM/FM, MP3 player.  I went with the Sansa Clip (which is FM only).

[I like how you titled this, it reminds me of "We've got both kinds of music here son, Country and Western..."]

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

<tangent>

The thing I miss most about AM radio is listening to it in the car when I was a kid... during a thunderstorm.  Any lightning strike nearby would augment the broadcast with the coolest ZOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! noise.  I can't believe that wasn't recorded and used as a sound effect in something like Star Wars (where the effects/foley people used all kinds of things you wouldn't expect)

</tangent>

You get the same awesome sounds listening to shortwave, too.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Joe618

I have had the same issue.  I like NPR and can get that on FM just fine.  But the Cubs' broadcasts are only on AM, as are a lot of basketball and football games and I like to listen to that.

The technical problem is that an AM radio requires a much larger antenna, made of a ferrite core with a lot of windings.  That antenna is, by itself, the size of many MP3 players. 

The marketing problem is that very few people listen to AM radio...as the Radio Shack guy said to someone here "only old people listen to AM". 

I guess I'm old.

I do have a small AM "transistor radio" size unit I got at Wal Mart for about $5, which has a belt clip.  A little clunky but it works. 

Good luck!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have had the same issue.  I like NPR and can get that on FM just fine.  But the Cubs' broadcasts are only on AM, as are a lot of basketball and football games and I like to listen to that.

WGN, baby!  But what is with them getting rid of Kathy & Judy!?

SRL, when I listen to AM radio out of Chicago I can still hear that lightning sound you referenced.  It's really cool, since the lightning is striking over Lake MI--between me and the broadcast tower.  As it gets closer the noise gets more intense.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

will run for popsicles

i remember reading a review of satellite radio once and the guy said the best thing about it was that he was able to drive through a violent storm in the midwest and the signal was perfectly clear. he also said the WORST thing about it was that he was able to drive through a violent storm in the midwest and the signal was perfectly clear. he missed that noise, too.

i'm still able to get little sony radios that have am and fm. i tend to burn about one a year from sweat issues. AM definitely essential for dan patrick in the morning and to hear my beloved diamondbacks sink even further into the cellar in the evening. and for FM, i definitely find myself timing weekend runs to catch scott and leeann from start to finish. young whippersnappers and their ipods don't know what they're missing ...

Margarine,

you should listen to Arnie Spanier in the am on am1060 The guy is killing the Dbacks LOL