Running Two Marathons Back to Back, Update should I do it? (Read 1269 times)

Roses Revenge

I ended up with 3 in 65 days this spring because I wanted to be a Maniac (#991). Before the first one, I was only averaging about 25 to 30 miles a week, but I knew I could finish because I'd already done more than one marathon and knew what to expect of my body. Mentally, I was looking at each one as just a long training run for the next one. I did the race, took an easy week, did a long run the next weekend, and then a two week taper before the next one. Ideally, I think I could handle a marathon every three weeks judging by how I've felt after the last three. Although now that I'm working with a coach to get faster (i.e. run more, walk less) I may need a little more recovery time. Next up - Portland on 10/5. Then I'll look to see what else I can fit into the schedule before the end of the year. Rose

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Several times I have raced marathons from 2 to 6 weeks apart. I prefer them 4-6 weks apart....two weeks apart made the second one especially tough. But, in all cases, the second one was better than the first. For more comments, see: Back To Back Marathons Marathons 3-Weeks Apart Training Between Close Marathons
        I too have always ran better my second one then I did the first. I liked 2 weeks between but that race was one of my favorite courses I have ran (Suntrust Richmond) and was on a special day with awesome running weather. 4-6 weeks allows me too much time to train harder then I need to between events. Whatever races you decide to run just enjoy both and enjoy the ride!

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

Best Present Ever

Several times I have raced marathons from 2 to 6 weeks apart. I prefer them 4-6 weks apart....two weeks apart made the second one especially tough. But, in all cases, the second one was better than the first. For more comments, see: Back To Back Marathons Marathons 3-Weeks Apart Training Between Close Marathons
          that's interesting, because it flies in the face of the conventional wisdom that the benefits of a 26-mile marathon training aren't worth the potential injuries. So, can we save the $100 race entry and just run a 26 mile training run a month or so before a marathon?
          xor

that's interesting, because it flies in the face of the conventional wisdom that the benefits of a 26-mile marathon training aren't worth the potential injuries. So, can we save the $100 race entry and just run a 26 mile training run a month or so before a marathon?
            Sure. If you've trained for it, you "can" run 26.2 miles (paid or unpaid) the day before a marathon. Should you run one the day before or 4 weeks before? It depends on your goals and your body. The potential for injury by running too far (past 18? 19? 20?) sure comes up a lot. But is it a fact? I dunno. Most of the stuff I've seen has been anecdotal and/or fed to us from people who are used to running Very Fast Marathons in an attempt to win them. Meanwhile, I've got anecdotal info and stuff from people who are used to running Pretty Fast Marathons that seems to show that, no, 26.2 miles is not "too far" for training. Yes, people get injured by running "too far". But that point is different for each of us. If 26 miles was too far, people would have a heck of a hard time training for 50 milers and beyond. Incidentally, there are a few marathon training plans that DO factor in long runs of 26-28 miles. So it isn't unknown. Who's right? Both. Neither. It depends. On your body and your goals. As for skipping the $100 race to run a 26.2 mile training run, yes, you can do that too. Not all marathons are 100 bucks, thankfully. We are blessed in the Pacific Northwest to have lots of smaller races and ultras that are anywhere from "free" to 30-40 bucks. I'll pop down 30 for the benefits of 1) company, 2) a marked course, and 3) aid stations.

So, can we save the $100 race entry and just run a 26 mile training run a month or so before a marathon?
              I've run three in my buildup for my upcoming Marathon. Actually should have run 4 but I'm bailing on this Sunday's long run and plan to go only 35k instead of the 42.2 . It has caught up with me and I feel beat, I just hope it wasn't too much.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

No. It isn't 26-mile training. It's 26-mile racing followed by adequate recovery before the second one. There is a difference. Does the risk of injury go up? Sure. But, it's trade-off between pushing the envelope vs. staying more conservative for less injury risk is another consideration.

Best Present Ever

hmmm, I bagged the marathon I was going to run this fall because I was injured and have missed too many weeks of running, so I'm targeting a spring marathon ... plenty of time to work in several marathon-length long runs. Sadly, we don't seem to have any low cost marathons around here.

Gotta TRI

Some would say you can do anything you put your mind to. Case in point, I've got a very good friend who is running Ultraman this year. This is a three day event consisting of 6.2 mile open water ocean swim followed by a 90 mile bike. Day two is 171 mile bike. Day three is runningtwo back to back full marathons for 52.4 miles. Granted not everyone can or should do something like this, and this guy is extremely conditioned having already run this year Ironman China, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island, Timberman Half, LA triathlon, Ironman Louisville and a handful of other races and will be runnning Ironman Austrailia a week after Ultraman.
                    2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                      Good luck with whatever you decide. Don't forget to let us know what you decide and how well you do!

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Bugs

Good luck with whatever you decide. Don't forget to let us know what you decide and how well you do!
                        First One is Done. You can read all about it. It didn't go as planned (virtually a 2.5 hour ice bath) but I didn't walk 6 miles either. I feel like I had a tough long run, but not marathon tired. My legs are a little banged up. I've done yoga, massage, and will run today. I'm hungry for a marathon re-take. The most convienent marathon would be in Des Moines on October 19th. I would use Hal 2 week plan to get me there. I will run 2 today. Is there any way to guage whether a second marathon so close would be do able? MTA: I have FF miles so maybe I could find a different race but flying seems crazier than my current plan.

Bugs

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Criminy. I am 10 days away from 2 in 2 days. Good luck Bugs!

Another Passion

I think you're conditioned well enough for it, Bugs. How do you feel? If you are feeling physically well and like you are not at risk for injury, I say go for it. I think srlopez was spot on and, it really depends on you, your level of fitness (which your's is very good at this point), and if you feel your body can withstand it without injury.

Rick
                            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Bugs

How do you feel? If you are feeling physically well and like you are not at risk for injury, I say go for it.
                              This is the best I've felt post-marthon. My legs are not sore but my achilles is stiffer than normal. I did my massage tricks on it. I'm glad I'm not signed up right now though, my as well see how my legs feel, but I should book a hotel. If I could forget I ran a marathon and pretend it was a hard 22 mile run I would not hesitate to run a marathon on the 19th.

Bugs

Bugs

Criminy. I am 10 days away from 2 in 2 days. Good luck Bugs!
                                10 days probably well spent! I'll probably be logging this as stupid.

Bugs