new shoes for a marathon (Read 685 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

quick question. I have a marathon in 8 days and I just now realized my shoes are at 300 miles and starting to look worn on the heels. Is 8 days enough time to break in a new pair before a marathon? I plan to run 8 miles tomorrow, then 3, 4, and 2 before the race.......
    mikeymike

Plenty, especially if they are another pair of a model you know works for you. I jsut try to make sure I've done a couple of runs in a pair of shoes before I race in them--just to make sure there are no weird pressure spots and to let the midsole form to my feet a bit. OTOH, 300 miles and "starting to look worn on the heels" sounds barely broken in to me, so your current shoes are probably fine too.

Runners run

northernman

Fight The Future

Plenty, especially if they are another pair of a model you know works for you. I jsut try to make sure I've done a couple of runs in a pair of shoes before I race in them--just to make sure there are no weird pressure spots and to let the midsole form to my feet a bit. OTOH, 300 miles and "starting to look worn on the heels" sounds barely broken in to me, so your current shoes are probably fine too.
        I agree about the 300, but I am (unfortunately) hell on my shoes. I always grind down the heel, and I definitely start to notice more leg strain when that happens. I think my stride sucks and I am dragging my heels just enough to scrape off some rubber. But at age 50, I think I'm too old to re-learn how to run.. Thanks, though, for the advice!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I agree with Mikey. I managed to get 30 miles on a pair of my favorite shoe before last weekend's 25k, but probably would have been fine with even half the miles. Granted a marathon is a whole 'nother beast, but maybe toss some Blister Shield powder in your socks as added insurance (I've started to do this for longest runs in a new pair of shoes, until I have 50 miles or so on them, just to be safe)...that stuff is awesome.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay