Officially a "Master" today (Read 727 times)

Well now the youngster in the 40 -45 AG instead of the oldest in 35 - 39 AG I guess should be better racing against guys 5 years older instead of guys 5 years younger, but there goes my main excuse for not placing higher Wink by the way who came up with "Master" division, sort of like changing Senior PGA to "Champions" Tour. I guess trying to make the process of getting old better. Actually 40 today and feel better than I did at 30... So its all good Big grin Actually counting down to 45 as not sure if i could ever pull a 3:20:59, but 3:30:59 may be doable some day.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Prince of Fatness

Happy birthday. I can tell you from experience that it doesn't get any easier in the masters age groups. I'm finding that my percentile ranking within my age group is actually worse than overall males. Lot's of hard core masters runners out there. Speaking of masters, there is a masters user group here at RA. Masters Group

Not at it at all. 

jeffdonahue

Happy Birthday!! And remember - 40 is the new 35.
        KMB

Happy Birthday! 40 has been great - way better than 39. "People are about as happy as they make their minds up to be." - Abraham Lincoln as somebody else once said "Birthdays are great - you should try to have one every year."
            Happy birthday! Big grin
              Happy Birthday!! And remember - 40 is the new 35.
              35 ... thats it! I was thinking 30 maybe 28 Wink

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Third place (the only placing I ever have a cahnce at) in the 35-39 age group at small races is often a slower time than third place for the 40-44 age group. I think a lot of guys (like me) had kids in their early thirties and forgot to take care of themselves for 5 years only to wake up one day and say "holy shit I better start working out". Then 3 or 4 years later they become good runners. I still have 2 years to go on that plan. In bigger races there is probably not much difference because the heavyweights turn out and those guys kept themselves in good shape no matter what the distractions. But I could never race with those guys anyway.

mikeymike

This year is base training for my entry into the masters ranks at the end of the year. My plan is to run all of my lifetime PR's in my 40's. And as MrPH said, those 40 year olds are fast. I generally get beat in races by as many or more guys over 40 as under 40. Happy birthday,

Runners run

Go Pre!

ya, I was let down when I turned 40, got faster and finished lower in AG results! MTA: HAPPY 40th!
                    Slo

Welcome to the ranks Buckeye......Happy Birthday It's true.....the 40-44 AG is tough. Somebody said once there's no competitor more dangerous than one 40 or over.
                      Jill_B

I fly.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Bring it on.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This year is base training for my entry into the masters ranks at the end of the year. My plan is to run all of my lifetime PR's in my 40's. And as MrPH said, those 40 year olds are fast. I generally get beat in races by as many or more guys over 40 as under 40. Happy birthday,
                          Ditto on all counts. I see the times of the women in the next AG above mine and realize that I have my work cut out for me if I don't want to be dead-last at some races in 4 years. Tongue Happy Birthday, Robert! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

redleaf

Happy birthday!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Happy Birthday Buckeye from someone who's been 40 for all of about 4 months. However in that time, I've run PRs in the four races I've run so far this year (ok one race was a half-marathon shortened to 10.25km so maybe that doesn't count), so 40 isn't a death knell!! Good running!
                              JimR

I won't consider myself a 'master' until next year, when I turn five-oh. H.B.