Am I insane or abnormal? (Read 688 times)

a.wesolowski

Okay so I run all the time- I've become addicted to it. Average days consist of A LEAST 6 miles. I've been keeping this up for the last two and a half years and I haven't lost any weight or seen any noticeable muscle gain at all. Then, I recently hurt my TFL (across hip) and I haven't ran in nearly 4 weeks. Over the past 4 weeks I've noticed I lost 6 pounds and my abdominal muscles are strangely becoming stronger. I haven't changed my diet whatsoever, and it's pretty average to begin with. I haven't done any random exercises and I'm curious as if this happens to anyone else? I just want to know if there is a logical explanation as to why I can't lose weight while in top shape running, and I seem healthier and stronger while I stop running. Any thoughts/suggestions??
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Weight loss is calories in and calories out. Possibly when you are running, you aren't eating enough calories for the activity you are doing so you body holds onto the weight and resists loss. It slows your metabolism down.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Are you certain your diet has changed? You track it closely? Running makes you hungry, and many people either eat too much in response to the hunger, or overestimate how many times they can 'cheat' when running ("I can eat this piece of pie with no worries. After all, I ran 6 miles today."). The other option is what Meg suggests. The body can go into 'starvation mode' when it isn't getting what it perceives as enough calories. This is one of the reasons that sudden diets can work for a short period and then stop. You're better off consuming just a little under what your body needs for a long period of time, than you are cutting your supply drastically. In your case, lets say you normally eat 300 calories less than what your body takes to maintain itself at rest. That is fine, and you would gradually lose weight. Say, a pound every couple weeks. But you start running 6 miles every day, and now you are 900 calories below what you'd need. Your body will rebel a bit, and start slowing down your metabolism to try to hang onto everything you can. If it lowers your metabolism too far, you'd end up with the scenario you describe. Also, lack of sleep can cause you to hang on to weight. Do you sleep more now that you aren't fitting all that running into your schedule? When you get healthy again, keep an eye on your diet, and make sure you are eating enough and sleeping enough.
          It's also possible that: -You didn't need to lose weight in the first place. -You aren't varying your workouts enough and so your body got used to the same thing over and over and nothing ever really changes. -Your body grew muscle while you lost weight and so you never noticed a difference. Now that you aren't running for a month, you may be losing muscle and so it's appearing as weight loss. How can you prove your "abdominal mucles are strangely becoming stronger" anyway? -You aren't allowing enough rest between your exercise, so now that you've actually taken a few weeks, your muscles have recovered nicely and feel quite strong. Those are generic thoughts. Each person is different. How fast do you run when you do? Too slow and you aren't getting as much benefit; too fast and you're body is begging for recovery. How much do you weigh? Too little and there is no room for weight loss. Are you averaging 6 miles per day for for two and a half years or has that varied? Are you varying that with speedwork and long runs? Perhaps more importantly, why does your weight matter so much? If you focus on improving your running and improving your health, most everyone reading this forum would agree that your weight will do what it should to make both of those things happen. Most people reading this forum will also agree that we all judge ourselves rather harshly when it comes to weight.

#artbydmcbride

I vote abnormal...but it seems like a false dichotomy. Big grin

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

Oh wait...I just read..you are still in high school. Weight gains and losses, while growing into your full height, while running track for your school, can be very unpredictable. Don't worry, be happy! Smile

Runners run