Adventures in Driving. AKA: RA Car Talk. (Read 895 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Driving from Nashville to Lake Nebagamon, Wisconsin (54849).

Night one, just north of Indy, the car started vibrating and making a high-tempo clicking noise.  The tempo did not change with the car speed.  After 20 miles, we got to our destination and I looked into it, under the hood.  It turns out that the vibration stopped when the A/C fan was off, and was louder and faster when it was high.

Fine, the AC fan rotor or belt or blade was broken.  No big deal.  We'd fix it when we had a chance.

Day two.  A warm drive to Chicago with the A/C fan on low.  No big deal.  Early to Chicago to spend the day and the next morning there.

Day three. Got in the car just after noon, turned it on.

Ewwwwwwwwwwww.  What a horrible terrible stench.  Like. Um.  Roadkill.

Dead animal in the A/C?!?

Day four.  The stench is worse.  And the weather has been hot.

Criminy.

Anybody with experience with this one?  Toyota Sienna 2003.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ooh, ychh!  No, my only adventure in driving this week has been for DS (the fast runner who does great in school) to fail his driver's test for the THIRD TIME!!  Sigh.  That stinks, too, lol.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Good thing we're having a cool Summer in these parts.  It does sound like maybe a critter got tangled in the A/C...kamikaze flying monkey, perhaps?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ooh, ychh!  No, my only adventure in driving this week has been for DS (the fast runner who does great in school) to fail his driver's test for the THIRD TIME!!  Sigh.  That stinks, too, lol.

Well, look on the bright side: at least he can run most anywhere.

Menace to Sobriety

Might be fungi/mold growing in the foam insulation in the  evaporator. Its porous and collects moisture. It happens sometimes when the AC stops working. Why the AC quit, I can't say, but this might be what is causing the smell.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Craig.  I wish.  The A/C and fan still work.  The fan just makes a load of noise.  When it is on high, it makes more noise and more stink.  When it is on low it makes less noise and less stink.

And that is dead critter smell, to be sure.  If I could get it out, I could make me some burgoo.

Wingz

Professional Noob

I think you're probably right about a critter being caught inside the engine.  A recently run engine is a nice, snuggly, warm spot to some animals.  At least it wasn't a skunk? 

Hope nothing else was damaged!

Roads were made for journeys...

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

If you call up the Car Talk guys, they'll tell you a mouse has crawled into the vents and died there.  I don't remember what they say about how to get rid of it though.

Best Present Ever

The only thing that sounds worse than a car that smells like old roadkill is a car full of kids kvetching about a car that smells like roadkill. Maybe get.a rental car and hope the smell has worked itself out by the time you get back to the car?
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Three kids and a dog in this car with us.

4 days.

Just sayin'

ymmv

Three kids and a dog in this car with us.

4 days.

Just sayin'

You inadvertently  stopped near a panera bread. A resident rodent climbed into your car, looking for food (not 'food'), found none and collapsed.

Let the car cool off. Open the hood. Let the dog into the engine compartment. Whatever part of the engine he rubs himself on is where the critter is. Once found, you can get to work determining the best treatment or cause of death.

sluggo

John

I would love to hear you talk to the Car Talk guys about this. They might even have a good idea on what to check.

In the meantime, I hope you can get home and get the car to a good repair shop that can root out the real problem.

The whole thing sounds pretty gross. At least you will be able to laugh about this is a year or so.

Personally, I like the mold thought. There could be a water leak somewhere that collected and promoted unwanted mold that is now decaying.

John
                          www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Mouse family in the AC/ heat blower motor.  The Dad was having a hard time at work and had a little too much to drink.  It should be behind the glove compartment.

Prince of Fatness

I agree with the little critter theory.  There's no mistaking that road kill smell, so if that is what you are saying you smelled then there you go.

I really don't have any suggestions other than maybe try to find instructions online for replacing the cabin filter (most cars have them these days).  Trace from the area of the filter is (as said before usually behind the glove box) and see if you can find the critter.

If you get the critter out then maybe spray lysol or something similar through there while the fan is blowing in order to disinfect and get some of the stench out.

Not at it at all. 

It takes a while for the animal to decay.  We had mice several years ago in our old house under the enclosed porch.  I decided to poison them to get rid of the problem.  However, the mice climbed up into the wall and died.  They showed me - it stunk.  There was no way to get to them without ripping apart the wall because we didn't know exactly where they were.  We had to have an exterminator come out, locate the problem and inject some solution into the wall cavity to speed up the decomposition process.
                                "If I control myself, I control my destiny."