How many miles would you still run in a week if there were no races to go to? (Read 970 times)

jingchunyu

How many miles would you still run in a week if there were no races to go to? and How long would your lobgest run be in that case?

Gotta TRI

Certainly not many Big grin It's precisely why I book the races, to give me the kick in the pants I need to get out there.
      2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

How many miles would you still run in a week if there were no races to go to? and How long would your lobgest run be in that case?
        No races right now, or no races ever? I have no races planned for the rest of the year, and I'm probably going to run 70+ miles per week for the rest of the year with 2 to 3 runs of 15-25 miles per week. Normally, I'd say that I average 40-60 miles per week in a base building phase with a couple runs over 10 miles and 1 run over 15 miles. During race season, it depends upon what I am training for, but that's when there are races so isn't relevant to your question. Wink

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

jingchunyu

No races right now, or no races ever?
          I meant "what if no races ever"

A Saucy Wench

I'm not sure I would have ever started running. If racing didnt exist and I had taken up running purely from a fitness/stress standpoint. 15-25 mpw probably. Probably more in the 15-20 mpw range.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A MUCH better question would be... How many miles would you do if injury and extreme fatigue where not a factor. I could see about 40-50 miles a week if that was the case. (I am still a relative newbe in the 20-30mpw range)
              C-R

Ideally the same as now; honestly probably about 30% less. Good question - seems like racing brings out the best in us all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Why is it sideways?

I meant "what if no races ever"
                  I would invent races and then run 100 miles a week.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm not sure I would have ever started running. If racing didnt exist and I had taken up running purely from a fitness/stress standpoint. 15-25 mpw probably. Probably more in the 15-20 mpw range.
                    Ditto.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

Interesting you would run more for races you invented than current ones.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

If there were no races I wouldn't have to do any of that annoying tapering or recovery crap!
                        mikeymike

POD.

Runners run

goat

Finder of good newts

pretty much the same as now...20-30. I pretty much only use races as excuses to run new places... Mostly running I like to all by my lonesome.

It's hard to look down if you don't go up

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I did that once.
                                About a third of what I do now, if that much. Races are defnitely what motivate me to run as much as I do. The other benefits of running are gravy.
                                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33