14 min 5k , is that good enough. (Read 1139 times)

I've taken a few years off from running , and just got back into it last week. I started out running a mile, then 2, so yesterday i was like what the hell. Lets try a 5k, was running down by the water in my town. I timed myself at 14 min flat, was wondering if that would be good enough to join a race.

You'll probably need to break 13 minutes or at least run low-13's to make the Olympic 5000m final, so keep training.

Runners run

PDoe

Probably want to get that closer to 10:00-11:00. That'll make people pay attention too.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

You're still a good minute and a half slower than the world record, so obviously those few years off took a toll on your fitness. I wouldn't enter any races if I were you.

L Train

You guys are assuming manfromnantucket is a man.  If she's a woman, she could probably be semicompetitive at local races.

xhristopher

There once was a man from Nantucket...

Wouldn't she be called womanfromnantucket in that case?

Runners run

I've heard that there one was a man from nantucket but didn't here about there being a woman...

joescott

yeah, "woman from nantucket" just doesn't result in very good limericks.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

yeah, "woman from nantucket" just doesn't result in very good limericks.

There once was a woman from Nantucket
                      Who was annoyed by that man and his bucket

so she wrote countless lines
                          and limericked so many times
                      But eventually gave up and said f*$k it.

Yeah, I’m not good at limericks to start with and a woman from Nantucket just doesn’t seem to work as well.

Anyone else got a "Woman from Nantucket"?

ultramarathon/triathlete

I dunno, probably not fast around here.  I regularly post 9 minute 5ks when I'm pushing a double jogging stroller.  But that's on a hilly course and in 2 feet of snow.  Plus, I don't wear shoes when I run and the wheels on the stroller are kinda low, in fact, the front wheel is missing so I constantly have to push down in the back, kind of like a permanent wheely.  I don't think my kids will like it but so far I've only run with the stroller with my wife in it, since the kids are too young.  She's a bit beyond the recommended weight limit, but I figure, she's really thin, especially having just given birth to twins a few months ago, so it's probably ok.

So, you might want to reconsider next time you take a few years off.  Maybe you'll get it back in a few more years but you might want to train with my stroller to get faster.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team

Water-aided PR. Weak.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

the woman from nantucket

did not know why she got a ticket

gets advice that was conflicted

lets wait and see what resulted

from the advice she got on the internet

Modified to follow the rule

I think there's a sub-5 5K thread around here somewhere.  They can help you out so you don't embarrass yourself.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                              Emil Zatopek

....Is it Friday ?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞