4 Minute PR in 5K!! (Read 557 times)

Hey all! Just had to post the good news. Everyone has been so supportive of my newbieness! I had my 3rd 5K scheduled for today and I really wasn't sure how it would go. I haven't been feeling great in my training runs in a while and I was a little worried about the race. (I almost posted last night about it.) Anyway, somewhere in my mind the last month the idea of breaking 40 minutes had formed. (previous PR 42:44) I took off at the start and TONS of people were passing me. I guess I lined up wrong. I had my Garmin set to the bike setting so I wasn't exactly sure how fast I was going. So you can imagine my shock as I got to the 1st mile marker in 12 minutes! I could NOT believe it. I knew I was pushing my comfort level a bit, but I had no idea I was going that fast. At that point I realized that the 40 minute barrier was a possibility! The 2nd mile was a slight incline, and sunny, but I maintained a good pace. Once I hit mile 3 I was hurting. But I held on for a HUGE PR of 38:48. I am still amazed that I can accomplish such a thing, and appreciate all the advice and support here! Big grin
      Congrats on the PR! (FWIW, I'm always hurting when I hit mile 3. And 2. And 1. Big grin) And for the record, I hate 5K's, and admire those that run them regularly.
      My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

A Saucy Wench

awesome job!!!! Yeah 5K's hurt!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

The second mile of a 5K is always the worst. You think you are running too fast because of all the pain and as soon as the race is done, you wish you pushed a bit more in that second mile. I'd rather do a 10 miler than a 5K. Congratulations on your huge PR. This is the time you get to enjoy taking big chunks of time off your PRs

Nice work!

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

ultramarathon/triathlete

But I held on for a HUGE PR of 38:48.
              Hey that's awesome. There is absolutly no feeling like setting such a strong PR. Now you'll have to shoot for sub 38 and so on! Keep up the good work and great progress! Eventually, it won't hear nearly as much (or at least that's what I keep telling myself!)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Can I have some of that hurting for a PR. Cool GREAT JOB!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/