[facebook] Runs not showing up in news feed? (Read 1817 times)

ymmv

I should add that all of my nun-running FB friends are probably the most thankful for this.
      Eric, have you considered adding a "Post to Facebook Wall" (or similar) button/link on each activity page? I have seen other sites that take this approach and the security might be easier since you are required to enter your Facebook username and password as part of the post. Not sure about that though. All activities could still be synced with the RA app, but this would give users control over which runs show up on their wall. Just a thought.
      eric :)

I've thought about this briefly. It's a clunky mechanism that I rather not add. Let's wait a little and see when FB will complete their beta testing on the permissions the app needs. If that doesn't happen within a reasonable time or doesn't work the way I expect it to, then I'll consider adding this button.
        quagga

Eric, thanks so much for the time and energy you've put into this. It would be fun to have RA update the newsfeed on Facebook, but it hardly seems worth it for you. Thanks for the update.
          I second this opinion!! Especially since FB gets ad revenue that you as a developer do not. Thank you for all that you do.

Facebook seem to have released their new API that allows an external site to upload feeds to Facebook users' profiles.  Before, you (the user) can simply grant RA the right to access your profile.  No more.  Facebook now requires me to apply for this privilege, along with explanations of why I need to publish the feed as well as screen shots of what the feeds look like. 

I understand their reasoning, but why must they make developers jump through hoops in order to improve their site?  I am getting more annoyed by Facebook each day.  They have yet to explain to me how Facebook applications benefit their creators.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Facebook changes stuff all the time in ways that pisses off users too, without ever giving any warning.  I can no longer easily find out what my friends are doing; this was very easy in the prior version.

They have yet to explain to me how Facebook applications benefit their creators.

Facebook will drive users to your application, I have no doubt that this site will take off as soon as you get this working due to the viral nature of this.  Friends like to keep tabs on each other when running (running is a very social sport IMO).

The fact you don't have a revenue model makes it difficult for you to montize these additional users however; so I understand your reluctance. 

cheers

b

Goals: 20:00 5K, 3:30 Marathon, Finish Marathon, 4:00 Marathon, Finish IronMan, 45:00 10K

martinstoetzel

Hi guys,

let's keep the good energy and try to get it working. I would appreciate having RA publishing automatically to my FB news feed, especially when I always see my pals Nike+ running monitor stuff in their status updates, grmpf!

Cheers, Martin

I finally got hold of Facebook support and they supposedly fixed it such that RA can publish your data to your profile.  However, it only seems to work on the test version of the app.  I just sent them another email hoping to sort things out.  So, more waiting.

Update: I think I fixed the feed problem.  If your settings are correct, your workouts will be published to your Facebook profile.  Note that the workouts will also be included in your friends' feeds.  I can see all kinds of havoc this will cause.  After enough people complain about it, I'll switch it back to being a news feed instead, which will appear only in your profile.

If you're not seeing them, here are some things you should check:

Preference settings

1. in Facebook, go to the RA app's preferences tab
                      2. in the news feed section, if you see a Publish button, click it

If that doesn't work, you may need to reset some internal data:

1. click on the Applications button on the Facebook toolbar (bottom of the browser window)
                      2. click "Edit Applications"
                      3. click "Edit Settings" to the right of "RunningAHEAD Training Log"
                      4. click the "Additional Permissions" tab
                      5. uncheck the two permissions you see in the tab
                      6. follow the Preferences settings instructions above

If that still doesn't work, then post it here with a detailed description of your problem and I'll look into it.

eric :-)

martinstoetzel

Hi Eric,

sorry, but it is still not working...

I have set the settings are you defined

http://tinyurl.com/mj5gzq

In the summary page, all my runs appear nicely - this is how I expected to see it in my news feed...

http://tinyurl.com/kpjkz4

When I click on my facebook Profile page, I see my runs in the box on the left

http://tinyurl.com/mjxyxw

Unfortunately, my runs do not appear on my wall (= my news feed)

http://tinyurl.com/ny8bn8

Even more weired, when I add a RunningAHEAD Tab, it does not show any runs at all

http://tinyurl.com/l7mfmj

Now, do you have an idea what's wrong? I really can't understand this, you say it should be working, but I only get the workout infos in my RA box, not in the News Feed.

Martin

Ringmaster

Eric, your constant work making this site a working and useful network for us is more than we can ask for.

I mention this because it is a new glitch and might help you diagnose it--if it is indeed a glitch. As of this morning, my FB tab shows no activities or totals--until the second or third click. It hasn't published this morning's run to my wall--yet. I set my permissions as you outlined.

My friends might be thankful for me to talk less about running, though.

Thanks again for your hard work.

MTA: the first time, it worked when I went to my Boxes tab and then came back, now I have to click the "add the RA application" tab, and then all my data magically appears. Interestingly, all my data shows up in my Boxes RA thingie.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                          Mile by Mile

Martin,

Did you try to unlink your RA and FB accounts and then reconnect them?  Also, after you unlink, delete the RA app from your applications list before you reconnect.  I'm thinking that your profile has stale data or something.

VixiDu,

That was a bug and I've fixed it.

Ringmaster

Thanks, Eric.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                                Mile by Mile