Is kickball speedwork? (Read 524 times)

Do sports like softball, baseball or my favorite, kickball, serve in any way as speedwork? A player runs all out between bases, an when fielding they run hard after a fly ball or to back up another player. The brief runs are definitely high intensity, but are they frequent enough to provide any running benefit? Would they need to have a longer duration or more consistency? Whatever the answer is, it won't change my routine, it'll just satisfy my curiosity.

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

When is the last time you've seen a baseball player or softball player do well in a long distance race? They usually bonk about 100 yards into the race. Soccer is a different story. between the short sprints is jogging. The problem with the other sports is that between the jogging, there's no activity. Moreover, the athlete isn't performing at that high intensity long enough.
      SR1947

No....It does not... And I know the first couple weeks of softball I am sore in muscles that I don't use in running, so, unless you are used to it, it could be a detrement to your running...For a few weeks at least...
          No....It does not... And I know the first couple weeks of softball I am sore in muscles that I don't use in running, so, unless you are used to it, it could be a detrement to your running...For a few weeks at least...
          Yeah, it usually is a bit detrimental. I had a practice on Sunday and it is still affecting my running today. I usually keep up an 8:30ish pace fairly easily, but it's been a major effort to even stay close to that since.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

What about when someone put the keg kinda far away and you've sloshed some of your beverage rounding second base and you have to run back to the keg for a refill and then run back to second before the next play? Seriously, I'd say you're probably not engaging your fast twitch muscles for a long enough period of time,
            Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
            celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Do sports like softball, baseball or my favorite, kickball, serve in any way as speedwork? A player runs all out between bases, an when fielding they run hard after a fly ball or to back up another player. The brief runs are definitely high intensity, but are they frequent enough to provide any running benefit? Would they need to have a longer duration or more consistency? Whatever the answer is, it won't change my routine, it'll just satisfy my curiosity.
              How timely. I'm on my company's kickball team, and our games start Tuesday. We have no idea what we are doing and will shame the sport. We have nifty tee shirts, though.

Chris
              PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

On My Horse

CP work! Raw sprint speed. You are working on the 12 seconds of free energy all our bodies have to take advantage of. The problem is that has almost no practical advantage in a race longer than 400m Sad

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So why do we do strides again?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

We have no idea what we are doing and will shame the sport.
                    This could probably be the motto for our whole league.