Jacket suggestions (Read 1085 times)

I am looking for a jacket of somekind that is lightweight, but will keep my warm during the colder winter months. I cant stand running in a hooded sweatshirt, its just too bulky. But long sleeve dryfit material doesnt seem to be enough.

Any suggestions as to a jacket/pullover that keeps me warm without the bulk/weight??

Thanks!!!!

an amazing likeness

I prefer to use just a shell for the outer layer, rather than a jacket with insulation.  Then I can adjust the layers underneath to the weather and temp. I'm partial to the Brooks outer shell, I think it's called the Esential Run Jacket.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

The Asics Storm Shelter is a great choice if you run in the rain.  Windproof, waterproof, but with some vents so you don't swim inside it.  It's not insulated, either, so you can layer as desired underneath it.  $88 shipped from RunningWarehouse.com (NFI).

Is it the temperature alone you're battling?  Wind?  Rain?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Layers are your friend. Use a soft shell for added wind protection and warmth, under that a fleece, under that a thermal shirt and a t-shirt. Add remove layers as desired.

I'm a big fan of layering and I personally will cook in a jacket and use a Brooks vest with tech shirts layered underneath depending on the temps in Minnesota. If you run warm like me consider a vest or a jacket with zip of sleeves else I'd recommend the same as the others. 

I look my best blurry!

I'm a big fan of layering and I personally will cook in a jacket and use a Brooks vest with tech shirts layered underneath depending on the temps in Minnesota. If you run warm like me consider a vest or a jacket with zip of sleeves else I'd recommend the same as the others. 

I'm coming to Minneapolis tomorrow from Pittsburgh!  I am planning on running while I'm there.   Sat morning is supposed to be 21 degrees!  Brrr...  I will be layering and layering and layering under my Brooks windbreaker type vest.  I don't like anything heavy.  Hat, earmuffs, gloves, thick socks.....  I'm fine in the cold but I don't know if I'm ready for the sudden change!

I'm coming to Minneapolis tomorrow from Pittsburgh!  I am planning on running while I'm there.   Sat morning is supposed to be 21 degrees!  Brrr...  I will be layering and layering and layering under my Brooks windbreaker type vest.  I don't like anything heavy.  Hat, earmuffs, gloves, thick socks.....  I'm fine in the cold but I don't know if I'm ready for the sudden change!

HA! We are swapping states for the weekend. I leave tomorrow for the Philly and am running the marathon on Sunday.  Have a great time here; I'm sure you've been here before and have your running spots but if not try to get to the river or the lakes if running in Mpls.  

I prefer to use just a shell for the outer layer, rather than a jacket with insulation.  Then I can adjust the layers underneath to the weather and temp. I'm partial to the Brooks outer shell, I think it's called the Esential Run Jacket.

I could have written this.     

- Anya

L Train

Take off your pants. 

Was that a Blink 182 reference?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

+1.

I've run in all imaginable winter conditions.  Except in the very coldest conditions (10-15F or lower) or when the wind is a big factor, I go with a wind-proof vest layered with various synthetic shirts underneath.  There are three advantages to this versus a jacket:  1) flexibility to conditions, 2) less bulk/flop, and 3) breathability.  In my experience, most full coverage jackets lead to accumulation of sweat and after awhile you are soaked.

Where I live now the winter often yields high sustained winds with severe windchill, and I go to layers under a thin, uninsulated windproof shell.  Sure, I have some jackets with insulation and use them on the worst days, but it's not pleasant.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

+1.

I've run in all imaginable winter conditions.  Except in the very coldest conditions (10-15F or lower) or when the wind is a big factor, I go with a wind-proof vest layered with various synthetic shirts underneath.  There are three advantages to this versus a jacket:  1) flexibility to conditions, 2) less bulk/flop, and 3) breathability.  In my experience, most full coverage jackets lead to accumulation of sweat and after awhile you are soaked.

Where I live now the winter often yields high sustained winds with severe windchill, and I go to layers under a thin, uninsulated windproof shell.  Sure, I have some jackets with insulation and use them on the worst days, but it's not pleasant.

So you peeps who run with a vest and shirts, I hear you on the not wanting to overheat.  I often do overheat when I'm wearing a jacket, so I'm considering whether to buy a water/wind resistant jacket (like the OP) or a vest after reading through this.

Do you wash all your shirts before you run in them again? 

*muttering to self, imagining the extra piles of laundry to do a week*

"We are not talking about gorse-bushes," said Owl crossly. "I am," said Pooh.
                          obiebyke

Do you wash all your shirts before you run in them again? 

Nah. I figure I'm just going to stink them up again right away.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Nah. I figure I'm just going to stink them up again right away.

Extend that philosophy to other areas of your life and you can really save time and money.  Like on toilet paper, as but one example.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Extend that philosophy to other areas of your life and you can really save time and money.  Like on toilet paper, as but one example.

Big grin 

"We are not talking about gorse-bushes," said Owl crossly. "I am," said Pooh.