2014 Sub-18 5K (Read 544 times)

Congrats xhristopher. Always nice to have hard work pay off. I started my last race at 5:30 pace and blew up so no new prs for me yet.  need to get my weight down for now . Going to try again next month

Got it done today with 17:49.06 and negitive split each mile.

I'm not really a surprised considering the work I've been doing but I also know this doesn't happen without putting in that work so I'm happy to get this little reward.

Woa, how did I miss this? Congrat's Capt'n!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Nice tune-up score, xchristopher! Getting ready for Boston?

Add me to the list. I'll race a 5k as a tune-up on 4/19...

Admittedly, I've not specifically trained for the 5k but typically race one as a marathon tune-up one or two weeks out. This time, it is 8 days prior to a 4/27 marathon.

Quick background: 42 yo, my best times were 3-4 years ago in 2010-11 when I was running 2500-3000 miles a year. Sparsely racing over the past couple years...5k last summer in 18:45 and 15k last month in 61 minutes.  I've cobbled together enough training to survive a marathon in three weeks time...got a couple interval workouts (this week and next) before trying the 5k in 12 days time.

Not sure sub-18 speed is there right now but its still too early to tell.

xhristopher

Thanks folks. Yeah, it's a combo of getting ready for Boston, a good course, and a good field. I did not break the top 100. Best way to run fast is to crowd surf.

Roots, I'll add you to the list later when I'm at a computer.

I'll throw my name in the hat, as I'm pretty confident I'm in at least mid 18s shape coming back off 20 months of injury bullshit. Maybe I can break 19 and 18 in the same race !

First race is 4/27, next is 5/11. Not sure when the next crack will be, but I think I have an outside shot on the 27th if everything comes together, and feel really good about getting there on the 11th.

PR is technically 17:51, though two years ago...but I have my doubts about the course.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Nice tune-up score, xchristopher! Getting ready for Boston?

Add me to the list. I'll race a 5k as a tune-up on 4/19...

Admittedly, I've not specifically trained for the 5k but typically race one as a marathon tune-up one or two weeks out. This time, it is 8 days prior to a 4/27 marathon.

Quick background: 42 yo, my best times were 3-4 years ago in 2010-11 when I was running 2500-3000 miles a year. Sparsely racing over the past couple years...5k last summer in 18:45 and 15k last month in 61 minutes.  I've cobbled together enough training to survive a marathon in three weeks time...got a couple interval workouts (this week and next) before trying the 5k in 12 days time.

Not sure sub-18 speed is there right now but its still too early to tell.

18:17 today, bar is set.

Course was a little long...but still don't think I'd broke 18 today. Ran the same course in 2011, 40 seconds faster...gives me a marker of fitness.

xhristopher

Bump.

We've got a long list. It's spring racing season. What's going on?

Lagz, you can jog yourself a sub 18 later this month if you want to.

some call me Tim

Now that you mention it, I've got one coming up on the 10th ;-) Just a week into the marathon taper. Also, I ran a relay race (Seneca 7) last weekend and the first leg ran 18:41 for 3.2, 120' climb in the last quarter mile. Could've gone harder. Sooooo.. A little rest and I think it's a done deal - we'll see.

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

My first attempt will be on Memorial day towards the end of my build for Grandma's Marathon. We have The Brian Kraft Memorial 5k in Minneapolis that weekend and there are plenty of fast people to help pull you along. A 17:59 at last year's race would have gotten me exactly 100th place among men (+ 12 women). It is a really nice event considering there are no elite invites or prize money.

http://raceberryjam.com/2013/kraft5kmen.html

Tweeeked

Got a 5000m on May 17th and then again on June 28th, but I won't be going for sub-18 yet. I don't think I'll be ready for that until the fall. I may be diving into the Summer of Malmo for my summer training, so we'll see how that goes 

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
                      • 10k: sub-36
                      • Half: sub-76
                      • Full: 2:45 in Boston

Running mid/lwr 19's last couple of months (3 races). Racing tomorrow. With some luck, hoping to be anywhere in the 18's right about now.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Kcoates1223

I'm in. I'm 26 this year, current PR is 18:35.  I've been struggling with some injuries following the marathon last year, but I'm in shape, going to start pounding the pavement, and get moving towards my goals!

Post High School PRs

5k - 18:35 10k - 40:07 Half Marathon - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:14:23

2015 Goals

5k - 18:32(HS PR) 10k - Sub 39 Half Marathon - Sub 1:30

17:55 (my watch), 17:56 official, 5/3/14

Nice.

Oh I ran a 20:40 a week ago. No worries. It's still that time of the season where every 8th-slotter and his uncle is hitting .350.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Tweeeked

Nice work!

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
                                • 10k: sub-36
                                • Half: sub-76
                                • Full: 2:45 in Boston