Error 500 (Read 259 times)

Eric - will runs from this morning show up eventually, or will we need to load manually?

Dave

eric :)

Hi Dave,

They'll probably appear in a few hours.

Eric - will runs from this morning show up eventually, or will we need to load manually?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hi all,

RA was inaccessible earlier today because the database was too busy. I'm not sure how that happened yet, but I suspect it might be related to an upgrade that I was trying to apply. The upgrade might have put a strain on the database that it backed everything. I had to stop the web servers to stop additional requests. Even then, it took a while before the database cleared up. At that point, with no traffic to the database, I decided to finish the upgrade since the site is already down. Anyway, everything is back to normal.

eric Smile

Thank you as always for your work on the site.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Hi Dave,

They'll probably appear in a few hours about 40 minutes.

FYP.  Thanks Eric!

Dave

need2tri

Thank you Eric!

Hi all,

RA was inaccessible earlier today because the database was too busy. I'm not sure how that happened yet, but I suspect it might be related to an upgrade that I was trying to apply. The upgrade might have put a strain on the database that it backed everything. I had to stop the web servers to stop additional requests. Even then, it took a while before the database cleared up. At that point, with no traffic to the database, I decided to finish the upgrade since the site is already down. Anyway, everything is back to normal.

eric Smile

"run" "2" "eat"

thanks, eric!!!

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks…and hi!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Looks like the problem stemmed from all the site scrapers and script kiddies pounding the website. The current biggest offender is making multiple requests per second, every second, with the highest burst of 22. 22 alone is only a fraction of the total traffic per second. When combined with all the other bots, it adds up.

These bots don't add value to RunningAHEAD.com, even if they're legitimate search engines. Therefore, I am imposing a 2,000 requests daily limit for each IP address.I don't think it would affect any legitimate users. Interestingly, Google only searches about 2,000 pages a day, far fewer than all these inferior search engines.

In the time it took me to type this, the biggest offender is halfway to its daily quota.

mikeymike

Hi, Eric. I thought perhaps you had finally, mercifully, pulled the plug on us.

Me, pulling up to RA yesterday to get a Error 500:

Runners run

Eric -

I amazed that you are both ABLE and WILLING to deal with this stutf.

thanks!!!

- rovatti

I'm still here, still working on the site, although putting in much less time these days because of the kid. I'm working on converting the entire site to be API based in a piece meal way, except that the work is like a rabbit hole so it's taking forever. Now I am distracted by a Garmin Connect service deprecation so I have to make the switch before December to avoid interruptions.

kevinmacsr

I am not getting a 500 but the streak numbers aren't updating...

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I got an error 500 yesterday...and being a Brit it’s always a case of stiff upper lip, keep calm and carry on.  I never panicked once.

Thanks Eric Smile

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

lagwagon

lol my first thought as well.

second thought was darker...server overload error: was someone from a recently decommissioned thread embittered and sophisticated enough to launch a ddos attack?

I'm continuing to look into the 500 errors. The load balancer is reporting the web server is returning 500, but the web server for the corresponding request is returning 200. Very weird.