How much can I improve? (aka. is qualifying for the Boston Marathon in 2008 a reality, or a pipedream?) (Read 771 times)

Mr R

Honestly, I think you'll be disappointed...because you'll reach your goal too easily. Just work the mileage up, and be careful to avoid injury. Alternate your long runs between 90 minutes hard, and 150 minutes easy. (Work up to this) Don't bother with intervals, just run hard when you're feeling strong. Take it easy when you're feeling beat-up, but be sure to get your miles in, even if it means running really slow.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Honestly, I think you'll be disappointed...because you'll reach your goal too easily.
      Very much agreed. If you trained hard, properly, and injury free over 7 months starting from a 3:26 PR, youll probably whip out a sub 3:00 marathon. My best advise: don't listen to any of us. Go consult the "World's Best Running Coach": Dr Jack Daniels. Go buy his book Daniel's Running Formula and strictly follow his training program. Don't run faster than your VDOT.
        Thank you again everyone for the tips, encouragement, etc! I just have to whip this annoying cold in my respiratory system and I'm good to go! A new sense of motivation has come over me. Thank you again everyone!