Long Run as % of Weekly Miles (Read 1676 times)

What would you say is the correct ratio of the weekly long run in proportion to weekly miles. In other words, if I do 30 MPW and as part of that my long run is 15 miles, is that a bad ratio? It looks like it. Seems as though the long run should not be 50% of your weekly mileage. Maybe 30% of the total??? Any input??
    Pammie

Depends From what i've read. It depends how often you run each week Generally speaking your long run should be no more than 25% of your weekly miles. This though is if you run most/all days However if you only run 3 days a week anything up to a third is good. 50% sounds a lot
      xor

Wade into the fray over here. Tis a point of great contention. I like the "30%, give or take" answer myself.

My Hero

What would you say is the correct ratio of the weekly long run in proportion to weekly miles. In other words, if I do 30 MPW and as part of that my long run is 15 miles, is that a bad ratio? It looks like it. Seems as though the long run should not be 50% of your weekly mileage. Maybe 30% of the total??? Any input??
          Guidlines are guidlines. One size (formula) doesn't fit all. When preparing for my first marathon my long run at one point was up to 70% of my weekly mileage. I slowly increased the distance of one run per week and because of my light running on other days of the week, was completely recovered when I did a 24 miler and logged only 35 miles for the week.
          Go Daddy

Sounds like running by feel.
              My long runs are generally limited to a about a third of my weekly mileage. I have stretched them to as much as 50%, but only for short periods of time (marathon training). You'll find that as your long runs increase as a percentage of your weekly mileage, muscle soreness and recovery time will increase as well. The best way to figure out what works is to try it and see how you make out. Just pay attention and don't be afraid to adjust your schedule to stay healthy. Tom
              PDoe

FWIW,mine are usually about 50%.I usually run 4 days/week.
                  I'll second (third?) the 1/3 of mileage answer. Like figbash, I also will stretch that for some of the longest runs in my marathon training. When I trained for my first marathon, the percentage was often more like 50% of my mileage. Keeping them at a lower percentage seems to have helped with my recovery. Rather than crash for the rest of the day and be sore for the next few, I find that I feel well recovered within a couple of hours.

-------------------------------------
                  5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                  10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                  1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                  Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

It'll vary with what you can handle and how long you've been at your present training level as well as whether you do long runs weekly or every 2-3 wks, like some. Just because of simple arithmetic, people with low mileage may do long runs at higher percentage of their weekly (or other microcycle time span) volume. If doing long runs on a weekly basis, then 30-40% is probably more common percentage than 50% - for many people and road running for marathon and shorter races. (when get into trails and ultras, things can be different) My anecdotal data. I tend to run on something near a 2-wk microcycle (long run plus 3 workouts, sometimes more, sometimes less depending upon what legs say to me; about 5 easier days; in a 2 days on/ 1 off pattern). My long run is 100% of my volume on the day I do it, about 2/3 of the 7-day period in which its done, about 40% of microcycle volume (2 wk), about 40% of monthly volume. These days, I tend to be medium volume, low mileage but lots of hills of various sizes, shapes, and intensities. I did reach a point where I didn't feel my volume was enough to support the longer runs (even as a percentage of 2-wk basis) I needed for race goals, bumped my volume that winter (more than I usually do), and was able to sustain longer runs. They've gotten easier as I've maintained a certain volume for longer period of time. That is, last year I struggled with volume and long runs. But after maintaining close to that level for a year, they've both gotten easier as my body has adapted. (note: my interests are in longer trail races, so I'm running on softer, more varied surfaces and long runs are more of an adventure for me than if I were doing them completely on roads) So to me, it's a function of volume and how you've been training as well as how long you've been training with that volume and intensity.
                    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Ham & Egger

Mine are 20-25%, but I'm a higher mileage guy. But I've found when my LR are at this percent, it usually indicates my training is going well...again, just me.
                      www.tuscaloosarunner.blogspot.com

Feeling the growl again

If it's over a third of your weekly mileage, you probably aren't doing enough running to tackle whatever you are preparing for. Of course, I'm notorious for recommending that anyone doing under 35 mpw hold off on doing a marathon and some don't like to be told that. But if your long run is 50% of your miles, you're just not running enough to prepare for it properly. I could train with beers substituting miles for a year and still finish a marathon but that doesn't make it a good way to go about it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

My Hero

mikeymike

20 - 25% works for me.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?