Trail shoes - what do you recommend/like? (Read 1192 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

But, for trail shoes...I assume I want some stability?  I mean, otherwise, I would just wear my Triumphs, right? 

Not necessarily. Trail shoes add loads of other attributes, including being waterproof, having extra grippy bottoms, including toe protection and different paterns of support.

Not necessarily. Trail shoes add loads of other attributes, including being waterproof, having extra grippy bottoms, including toe protection and different paterns of support.

Thanks...I get that now after visiting the running shoe place today...some were giant though!  I'm not 100% sure I made the right choice...they might be too little of shoe-though for as flexible as they are they have a lot of cushion...I don't know...all I know is they fit amazing and felt great to run in.

jfa

I lucked out and haphazardly picked up a pair of Aviva trail shoes (not sure of the model) at Kohl's for a price of $42. Feels like a nice solid bottom and beefy upfront for when the toes are going downhill into the toe box. Very heavy when filled with water but I suppose that's a given. Plan on getting into some trails runs up north where they have something called rocks. Yikes.

bhearn

I use Saucony Fastwitch 4s (racing flats) for my trail shoes. Sometimes I get some looks.

Oh, and I have a normal to high arch, I like a neutral shoe, and I don't like a lot of stability.

I use Saucony Fastwitch 4s (racing flats) for my trail shoes. Sometimes I get some looks.

Oh, and I have a normal to high arch, I like a neutral shoe, and I don't like a lot of stability.

I've never worn a flat...but I am a lemming and just bought the Kinvara.  I've rotated the Triumph and Nimbus for years...and with every "upgrade" the manufacture makes to a new model, more weight and a higher heel seem to come with it.  I do like cushion but I can't stand all the heft and the high heel...but I may be a tad heavy for such a minimal shoe...we'll see.  I'm anxious to try them though.

bhearn

I tried the Kinvara for a few months. Unfortunately I did not adapt well to the lower heel. I start getting nasty AT problems. The Fastwitch 4 has the more conventional high-heel Saucony fit, which is perfect for me. But I am going to have to find something new. Saucony is moving to lowered heels on all their performance shoes.

xor

Interestingly, since this a trail shoe thread, that's a popular thing in trail shoes these days... much lower heel in newer models than they used to have in general.  The Mizuno Cabrakan is like this for sure.

Apologies for not coming back after I mentioned Cascadias and structure/stability.  Yes, in general, trail shoes don't have as much stability gizmo-tation as road shoes.  I don't know of any motion control trail shoes for example (perhaps they exist).  But as was pointed out, trail shoes have other aspects which set them apart from road shoes.  I like the extra tread. Except in super clay-muddy races where this tread attracts so much mud that they add pounds of extra mud weight.  The rock plate protection is nice I suppose, but they still can be hurty.  I like that most trail shoes drain and dry quickly.  Dunno about the waterproof-ness, unless you get goretex shoes.  I only have one pair, and I don't like them.

bhearn

That's one thing about the Fastwitches -- they drain very quickly. But then they are the opposite of waterproof. Using them for a trail marathon on snow and slush a week ago was an interesting experience. Biggest problem with them as trail shoes is that the drainage holes suck up gravel bits.

I tried the Kinvara for a few months. Unfortunately I did not adapt well to the lower heel. I start getting nasty AT problems. The Fastwitch 4 has the more conventional high-heel Saucony fit, which is perfect for me. But I am going to have to find something new. Saucony is moving to lowered heels on all their performance shoes.

I'm slightly concerned about AT...it was never a problem before, but as heels on shoes have gotten higher and higher I am a little concerned about switching to a lower heeled shoe.  I did notice Trent wears both Triumph and Kinvara...Trent...any AT problems??

Queen of 3rd Place

I had the same problem with the Fastwitch gathering sand and small rocks through the vents. Amazing how the tiniest pebble can feel like a big rock!

Took the Cascadias through some streams this weekend and was surprised that my feet felt dry right away...worried about being wet and blisters or chafing but went on to run another 10 mi. no problem.

Ex runner

Trainrunner1966

Amen brutha.  Those shoes are shite for me.

I love Inov-8 and LaSportiva, they work well for my feet.   Though I'm risking a public stoning for saying this outloud: my new Hokas are pretty sweet too.

I use Inov as well the only issue i have had is with stitching pulling out i have had this issue with 3 pairs. But the trails are rough, i wish they would use glue rather than so much stitching.....

Right on Hereford...

Amen brutha.  Those shoes are shite for me.

I love Inov-8 and LaSportiva, they work well for my feet.   Though I'm risking a public stoning for saying this outloud: my new Hokas are pretty sweet too.

La Sportiva trail shoes rock.

Hokas are a BLAST on trails, but unfortunately after 2 runs I developed plantar fasciitis for the first time in 5 years. I am giving them away (Wrigley Girl, I will get to the post office soon, I promise). I say, use with caution...

La Sportiva trail shoes rock.

Hokas are a BLAST on trails, but unfortunately after 2 runs I developed plantar fasciitis for the first time in 5 years. I am giving them away (Wrigley Girl, I will get to the post office soon, I promise). I say, use with caution...

Interesting... I've had PF in the past (about 5 years ago)... so I'll keep a head's up for any signs of returning.  I'm near 400 miles in mine, so guessing it's not going to be an issue...but good to know, thanks!

Right on Hereford...

Interesting... I've had PF in the past (about 5 years ago)... so I'll keep a head's up for any signs of returning.  I'm near 400 miles in mine, so guessing it's not going to be an issue...but good to know, thanks!

I'd say you're in the clear. And of course, I have no assurance that the Hokas had anything to do with my PF. Just the fact that I wore them for 2 runs and suddenly felt twinges. And now, several weeks after shelving the Hokas, the PF seems to be getting a little better.

Makes sense... plus they have a very small heel to midfoot drop which could increase stress on the achilles and PF, at least in theory. 

PS: If you can get outside today, it's sweet out there! 

- Chris (another Boulderite)