2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Mikkey: Good luck on the track marathon this weekend! What is your goal/plan?

I'm jealous; I would love to run a track marathon but so far cannot find one in the US. If anyone knows of one in the US please let me know!

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm jealous; I would love to run a track marathon but so far cannot find one in the US. If anyone knows of one in the US please let me know!

If you want to come down to DC, we have one tomorrow.....  http://www.safetyandhealthfoundation.org/ (scroll down to "fast track marathon to Boston").

That same group also has an indoor track marathon on June 24.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

MommyRuns

Hi Guys! I am super late to this party. I spent the last couple days tring to creep and get "caught up".

A little background information.  I am a teacher, Xc and Track Coach, mother  and of course avid runner.  I completed boston laster year with a time of 3;01.  So obviously, that elusive sub 3 is calling my name this fall. I haven't decided on specific race yet.  I recently ran a half in 1:23 and would like to case a sub 2:50 if I get the right conditions and course.

PRs. 5k-17:50 10k-36:44 Half Marathon - 1:22:36  Marathon-3:00:59

Follow me www.runcanvas.wordpress.org

If you want to come down to DC, we have one tomorrow.....  http://www.safetyandhealthfoundation.org/ (scroll down to "fast track marathon to Boston").

That same group also has an indoor track marathon on June 24.

Thanks a lot Darkwave!  Unfortunately the timing does not work out for me to do one tomorrow. But if this is a yearly thing I may go for it next year. I like that it is USATF sanctioned, and it looks well organized.

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thanks JT and glad you’ve got a track marathon sorted for next year!  I haven’t really got any proper plan as I don’t know what to expect from sharing a track with 80 other runners for hours. The water station is by lane 6 and runners can place their own drinks table on the other side of the track, so it could get a bit cluttered. I’m going to run the first 10 laps or so by feel and see what pace is showing and take it from there. I’ve only run 214 miles in the last 10 weeks so I’m pretty sure I won’t have the legs for Sub3. I’d be very happy with 3:05, happyish with 3:10, not happy with 3:15, and very not happy with 3:20!

Welcome MommyRuns!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Swim5599

Mikkey great stuff out there today.

Weather with back to back great 5k s well done.

82 this week with some good quality

mon 10 7:50

tue 10 7:28

wed 13 with 3,2,1 threshold cut down

round 1 (6:04,5:55,5:45)

round 2 (5:45,5:36)

round 3 (5:12)

thurs 10 7:35

fri 10 7:28

sat 11 with 4x400 (73,72,72,73) 4x200 (34,34,34,33) 4x400 (72,72,70,67).

Sun hilly 18 7:12

shaping up nicely should have a real

shot to run 4:45-4:55 at altitude in the mile on July 4,  if it happens with the speed improvement I should be able to go after something really good in the marathon in December off significantly more mileage.  Onward

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thanks Swim and your speed is crazy for a 40yo! Great week!

I ended up with a 3:06:13...but didn’t hang around to find out my overall place (I’m guessing 5th or 6th). I decided to go out at Sub 3 pace and hope for the best as I had nothing to lose. I was about 1:30 at 53 laps but started to fade around mile 18...but managed to keep it together and not bonk! If you like flat courses and treadmills then you’ll most likely enjoy a track marathon. (JT!) I’m a bit gutted that I got injured as I’d have smashed it today with a proper training cycle...but there’s always next year! The splits are on my log if anyone is interested.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I ended up with a 3:06:13.

Nice work Mikkey!!!  You are a credit to senior citizens everywhere.

Sounds like you should run this one again next year with some proper training.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Nice work Mikkey!!!  You are a credit to senior citizens everywhere.

Sounds like you should run this one again next year with some proper training.

Thank you, and you’ll be pleased to know that I ran a “Garmin Sub 3” today. 😂

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey - I would love even an abbreviated race report. I just can't even fathom both the logistics of the race, and mentally what it's like compared to a normal marathon.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

finbad

Hi all,

Welcome Mommyruns, looks like <3hrs is locked down with a 3hr run in the heat last year.

Weatherboy - it's perhaps too far to travel but if you fancy running a Scottish 5k I can practically guarantee you 16:low. Those are good times even without the weather.

Swim - you look fiiit, cranking down those last set of 400's  makes me want to see a race.

Mikkey -  80 people on a track sounds complicated but it would be cool to get to leave out your own drinks. Solid result of off sod all serious training in the last 2 months.

On a side note I recommend the Inside Running Podcast if you're into that kind of thing. Three quality Australian marathoners chatting, discussing their training, covering running news and a big interview at the end, it's slanted towards Aussie people but I like it.

Glasgow heat wave! (20 degrees). Been lovely getting some nice weather runs in here. Had to visit the north of England for work this week so did a fell race in Yorkshire and got totally schooled by the locals. It's a whole other world to road racing, I ended up running about half a mile further than the leaders just due to route finding.

Monday, May 07, 2018 thru Sunday, May 13, 2018

​

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Description Link
                        Mon 12.7 7:14 It's taps aff up the wind farm strava
                        Tue 0.9 10:14 Evening Run strava
                        Tue 6.1 8:22 Jack Bloor fell race, amateur route finding by me strava
                        Wed 3.8 7:56 Morning Run strava
                        Thu 7.3 7:13 Lunch Runners 12x 1 minute strava
                        Fri 6.1 7:29 Toilet seat's coming down strava
                        Sat 4.4 7:25 Morning Run with bounding hill strides strava
                        Sun 0.7 15:49 Run with Nova strava
                        Sun 9.9 7:13 Dung dodging strava
                          51.9 7:39  

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - I would love even an abbreviated race report. I just can't even fathom both the logistics of the race, and mentally what it's like compared to a normal marathon.

I thought it was easier than a road marathon with the softer surface and no hills and don’t feel as sore either! The 3 training runs I did on the track really helped and knew that 6:30 on the Garmin was about 3 hour pace on the track. The constant overtaking wasn’t that bad and spent most of the race in lane 1 and 2. Looking at the results only 47 runners finished and think some might have DNF’d. It was chip timing, but we were responsible for counting our own laps (we were instructed not to ask/hassle the timers and they would tell us when we had 1 lap to go). I used a lap counter which fitted onto my index finger. I accidentally reset it at lap 25, but it was easy enough to click it back up to 25 again! I must’ve missed a lap because the timer shouted that I had 2 laps to go when I thought it was 3....that was a great boost! Being able to set up your own aid station was good...I didn’t bother bringing a table and just left my drinks/gels on the ground (off the track of course)

I registered for the race thinking it would be a fun thing to do after London and assumed that I’d still be in great shape. I can definitely see why some people wouldn’t enjoy it, but I’m going to sign up for next year again when registration opens Smile  I’m just wondering if I should buy some spikes and if they’d be suitable for that distance? I wore my Hoka Tracers and they seemed ok.

Laura

Checking in, been crazy busy with both of us working  overtime the last few weeks. Not ideal but make it work! Glad to check in and see everyone doing well, some awesome times and workouts being thrown down!

Welcome Mommy Runs! Definitely have sub-3 and beyond capabilities with those times you're running. Any thoughts on timeframe or region you might look at for fall full?

Swim- those short intervals will really bode well for summer of speed and mile race etc. But then awesome transition time come fall for a full- any thoughts which one you will target?

Mikkey- Kudos on the track marathon especially with the less than ideal buildup. I feel like track spikes with that many laps and sharp curves would shred your calves but I could be wrong. A fair of distance or XC flats (without metal) might be a good alternative?  I'd definitely love to tackle a track full one day, I'm not big on time trial style full courses (I'm more of a technical racer than all out speed), but I love the mill and having track background from high school and college would be cool to combine that past with current marathon love.

Fin- thanks for podcast recommendation, my morning commute needs a boost and I'll throw that on the list.

Well last two weeks were not quite what I planned but made the best of it. Two weeks ago did 15 mile workout on Wednesday, fartlek style with tempo and interval work but most ended up around tempo pace (effort was there, but 80 degrees and 20mph wind presented some challenges). I did the workout on a million neighborhood loops to prep for tangents and turns for race day so at least that was good. Then that weekend I knocked out a hilly 23.7 miler (7:19 avg) with 10 x 1 mile MP (6:42 avg)/1 mile easy. Was a 65 mile week but about 60 hours of work as well.

Last week was really tough outside of running so it just took a backseat. A good amount of missed miles, but was right call. I think the 65 mile week + 60 hours of work the week before did me in more than I'd like to admit. I finished this week with less than 50 miles, but had a great 20 mile long run to boost the confidence. 1st 10 miles were 8:30 down to 7:02 and last 10 were 6:36-56 with 6:42 avg. Was a great morning for a run and the rest of the day with walking and family time for mothers day.

One more big workout this week and then really wind down. Weather can really be a factor for this race like many this time of year. I've had at least a few warmer runs so not totally unprepared. Just gonna have to sit back and wait and see- focus on what I can control.

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}

weatherboy80

Mikkey: First off congrats on the track marathon.  That has to take alot of mental toughness.  Well done even in tough conditions!

Mommy:  Welcome!  Looks like the potential is there especially with a blazing time at Boston where those conditions were worth a good 5-10 min in my book.

Swim: Nice big week - you are rolling right now!

Fin: Solid week especially coming off a warm London.  Thanks for the offer on a cooler weather race Smile

Lela: In case I forget - good luck in a few weeks.  Enjoy the taper.

Had my 2nd warm/humid 5K in a six day span on Saturday and placed fairly well even though we are all convinced the course was long by ~100m or so.  Lots of runners were complaining and I even accidently started my watch a good 7-8 sec after the start and had 3.14 miles on the watch.  Others had anywhere from 3.19 to 3.22 so it looks like it was a bit long Sad  Anyways, ran the race at a more even pacing this time around even though I felt a bit slower/sluggish than the previous week's race (which was quite a bit hotter and therefore a better effort)  Ran with a group of guys for about 1.5 miles before they fell off and really didn't get passed by anyone coming in.  Even though my time slightly faded on the last mile I almost caught up to the winning female, but she got me by about 2 seconds.  Still good enough for 3rd overall (male) and a time of 17:15.5 officially on the course so not too bad for a small long local race.  So with a properly marked course it would have been really close for a sub 17 - at least a few seconds on either side.  Having said that don't think I want to try again right away as I'm feeling a bit burned out and ready for reduced volume for a few weeks.  Plus summer has arrived in full force.  Going to take 1-2 weeks of all EZ mileage with no workouts planned to sort of reboot the system - think its a necessary step at this point!

Weekly Summary
                              Monday, May 07, 2018 thru Sunday, May 13, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description Link
                              Mon 8.1 7:23 Figures feels much nicer than yesterday 😂 strava
                              Mon 4.1 7:20 Finding more nails on my street 😡 strava
                              Tue 12.0 7:43 Breezy 90E strava
                              Wed 2.1 8:04 Warm up strava
                              Wed 4.2 6:56 16 X 200 @32-34s strava
                              Wed 2.6 8:01 Cool down strava
                              Thu 7.1 8:21 Easy mixed surface strava
                              Fri 5.2 7:23 EZ + strides strava
                              Sat 2.1 7:53 Warm up strava
                              Sat 3.1 5:26 Started my watch 7s late and the course was still long 😟 strava
                              Sat 2.0 8:39 Cool down strava
                              Sun 10.1 7:11 Orange Park sunrise! strava
                                62.7 7:30    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

BigGuySkinny

Hi all, can anyone help with target training paces for a sub 3 attempt?  I'm going to do a Pfitzinger plan which includes runs at "15k to half marathon" pace and 5k pace.  Any general suggestions for any of the paces assuming I'm shooting for somewhere in the 2:55-2:59 range?

I am aware that paces should generally be based on fitness, not goal, but my last marathon was pretty close so I'd just like to better understand where the paces should be.  Thanks in advance.