2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Weather: My sympathies to you and your wife; it is always tough to lose a grandparent. Hope the travel up north goes smoothly. As JMac said it is definitely getting cold up here so be sure to pack some warm clothes.

2:52:16 (2018)

weatherboy80

Thanks guys!  She lived a nice long life (90 years), and was hurting towards the end so it was time.  Agreed I'm going to need some layers and will feel quite a bit colder than anything I've seen since Boston.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

mattw4jc

Lurking and loving the training talk. I used Pfitz 18/70 for my one sub-3 marathon three years ago. It was the first time I did mileage over 55mpw for a cycle. The miles and his workouts got me there. I failed twice to repeat that same result after similar, though shorter and perhaps less motivated cycles.

I like the idea of more easy miles, but the time commitment is tough. So then I lean toward a few less miles on the weekday runs, but throwing in LT and/or some repeats of sorts. I'm 47 years old and seem to handle LT well enough when I do it. I also bike commute which gives me a decent amount of cross training (100+ miles / ~8-9 hours per week).

This summer I had little motivation and averaged about 40 mpw, but the recent cool weather has made me want to train again. I'm considering a spring half and a possible PR attempt (1:23xx). Running a low 6 minute pace seems foreign and quite difficult to me right now, but maybe with enough miles and a sprinkling of LT, I could get there again.

Just noticed while looking at the photos from my marathon that the barefoot guy I saw early on did run the whole race, and finished in 2:48:00!  Pretty impressive especially shoeless. He ran nearly even splits.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - I checked the barefoot world record: 2:15 at the 1960 Olympics. Somehow, I didn't know about this whole story, but I'm sure some (most?) of you do

https://www.olympic.org/videos/abebe-bikila-barefoot-to-olympic-gold

Matt - If you do decide to run a marathon targeting sub 3, stop lurking and join for real 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Bikila was something special, I always love the footage from his 1964 win when he finishes (in a WR time I think), and goes directly to the infield of the track to do all kinds of funny exercises and stretches. It was like he was just getting warmed up and not just finishing a WR marathon!

Anyone know if Swim is still running CIM?  Since he went off the radar here and on Strava I have no idea how his running is going, but if like his usual marathon prep it must be incredible and something I would love to follow. Cal maybe you can draw him out of his exile and get him back here, aren't you and Mikey kind of like his mentors?

weatherboy80

Looking like I may be able to jump into a local area Buffalo 5K on Sunday afternoon while I'm there!  Weather looks like low 40's with some rain or drizzle around so I'll likely freeze trying, but thinking of giving it a go Smile  Figure a long slow warmup, strip off some clothes, and then try to hammer the 3.1+ miles.  Course is not perfectly flat as there is fairly good drop-off at around mile 1, then a good hard couple climbs in mile 2-3 which will might make it hard to potentially go sub 17, but we shall see.  Good thing I've run a few bridge workouts recently.  I'll try to do a shakeout sometime Saturday to get used (somewhat) to the cold weather.

BTW - hard enough to run a 2:48 marathon in cushioned shoes, but can't imagine running a road race at the pace barefoot!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

CalBears

Anyone know if Swim is still running CIM?  Since he went off the radar here and on Strava I have no idea how his running is going, but if like his usual marathon prep it must be incredible and something I would love to follow. Cal maybe you can draw him out of his exile and get him back here, aren't you and Mikey kind of like his mentors?

As far as I've read from some recent words exchange between Mikey and Swim, Swim was still planning to run CIM. And no, I don't have any influence on Swim - he actually thinks I do not like him (which is obviously a BS) but his training is totally structured (Pfitz or Daniels or some custom plan I am not sure) which is total opposite of me Smile. He is fast, definitely - he just have some race execution problems sometimes as far as I remember.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ve always liked Swim, because he’s a good guy and a talented runner....I’m looking forward to tracking him at CIM!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

slingrunner

I feel so cursed.  Looks like weather is going to interfere with another race of mine.  My last warmup 10K is supposed to be this Saturday, but it is showing heavy rain and winds at 15mph, 40mph gusts.  It's small enough I'd expect to be running the whole thing alone.  They posted on facebook they might cancel if the weather gets worse.  I'd like to check in on my fitness 2 weeks out from my marathon, but not sure what I'd learn from racing in those conditions, especially since I'm back to being sick again.  I'm just waiting to see what weather Mother Nature dials up for 11/11.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

finbad

Weatherboy - sorry to here about your loss. That seems like a sound race plan for the 5k. I've got my money on sub 17 for sure.

Sling - I wouldn't racein the rain if you're sick again.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey/Cal - Can you get Swim back on here? I do miss his presence, he just ghosted after his failed mile attempt

Sling - Not sure where you're racing, but if it's in the Northeast, I would bail. That storm looks nasty, it's going to be very similar to the one that struck Boston this year. I wouldn't race in it as Fin said if you're dealing with illness.

Weather - I can't wait to see what fitness you have in cool weather! Definitely in sub 17 shape.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Sling: I would not bother with the 10k. To me a big part of a tune up race is to give self confidence, and if you run in crappy weather you are not likely to get a good time and it will not give you a positive outlook for the final weeks. Add on to that that you are sick and it makes no sense to run it. I would wait till you are healthy again and pick a good weather day and do a 10k time trial on the track.

madisonrunner

sling - If the weather does end up being as bad as you describe I agree with others to skip.  But I think people (myself included) get too worked up about the weather.  If it's a 15 mph wind and a light to medium rain then race it; those conditions sound worse than they are when racing.  If it's 40 mph and pouring rain then skip it.  If you do end up skipping perhaps you can do a time trial at a different time on Saturday or Sunday.

This morning I did a VO2 max workout as a test to see if I should prep for an attempt at another marathon PR in a few weeks or start a base building phase in prep for a Spring marathon.  The workout was 5x1/2 mile w/ 2:00 rest.  I felt great and my pace was faster than my VO2 max workouts during my training for my marathon PR a few weeks ago.  I'll do a 16 mile long run this weekend and a 3x1 mile VO2 max workout next week.  If both go well I'll sign up for the Madison Marathon on 11/11.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Madison - sounds Ike a good sign, would love to see you race again! Just FYI: forecast looks like Boston 2018, at least in NY. 25 mph winds gusting to over 40, 41 degrees, and heavy rain. That’s about the worst weather you can possibly get.