2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Hey guys with all this friendly banter  I guess its as good as time as any for me to join in here as I have signed up to an April marathon.

This will be my 3rd but I havent run one since my first in 2013 ( 2.59 ) and my 2nd in 2014 ( 2.54).

Im now 50 and sub 3 will require alot of hard work. Since 2014 Ive done little racing and my strava log shows a pattern of 10 weeks at 15 mpw followed by 10 weeks at 50 mpw. As soon as I just start getting some fitness back I go back to low volume as my motivation goes up and down. Anyway this marathon should keep me focused.

Best of all its the Brighton Marathon in the UK, yes Mikkeys hometown marathon !

I chose this one not because Im stalking Mikkey, but after not getting into London it is a good alternative and I have 2 brothers who live in and near Brighton. Bonus that Mikkey can give me all the intel on the course etc and hopefully we may run together if he can wait for me 

My experience with the positive/negative split thing is what Cal suggests works well for him. My first marathon 1.27/1.32 and felt terrible in the last 5kms and after the finish.

2nd marathon 1.27/1.27 and felt really strong after.

The top guys go for tiny positive splits.

Jmac I had that metatarsalgia in my last marathon cycle. a bruised feeling at the base of the toes underneath the foot. From memory it made runs a little miserable but did not impact pace etc so dont stress too much.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

That’s great news Piwi, I’ve been a 3:15/3:30 pacer at Brighton marathon 5 or 6 times since the race started in 2010, but the running group I occasionally help out at don’t organise the pacers anymore so I’ve entered it next year to race!...the pencilled in plan is to shoot for a Sub 2:53 Moose Mug at Brighton and then go for broke at London 2 weeks later. Btw, Brighton is my adopted hometown and Belfast is my real hometown....at sporting events I’ll always support Northern Ireland over England. 😉

JMac - You’ll be fine. 👍

My week...

Mon - 13.1 on TM w/4@6:26, 3@6:21, 2@6:16 (1 mile easy recovery)

Tue - 12 @ 7:56

Wed - 7 @ 6:57 (6x1200 - 400rec)

Fri - 5 @ 8:02

Sat - 3.1 @ 6.00 - 5k Parkrun in 18:42

Total - 40

My 5k was 13 seconds slower then last week but still pleased with the effort as it was a bit windy compared to last weeks perfect conditions. I’m still hoping to go Sub 38 10k in 3 weeks time and will be doing another Parkrun on the 1st or 8th December (hopefully a PR) After that I’ll be training for my goal half in February.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Piwi - great to see you here! And great you signed for a marathon - it's always fun to observe your training where you not only run, but also surf and fish! Smile

Mikey - great you have energy for 5K runs - and nice time - congrats! Moose Mug - yes! But it will not be easy! Btw, when I hear word Belfast, I only have one association from my young years:

_____ Belfast ______

My week was experimental, was trying to see how much my body can handle these days and if it can handle mileage as in good old days. Turned out to be OK. Might try to introduce strides next week, maybe lesser mileage and a little bit speedier runs? Will see. Monday is off for sure.

Mon - 13.5 @ 9:31

Tue - 13.5 @ 8:35

Wed - 15.3 @ 8:32

Thu - 13.5 @ 8:51

Fri - 13.5 @ 8:26

Sat - 13.5 @ 8:43

Sun - 27.2 @ 8:09

===

Total: 110.4 mi

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

BigGuySkinny

Interesting discussion on pacing.  As one who is still trying to figure all this out it is helpful to see the different approaches.

JMac hope the pain goes away with another week of taper.  Looking forward to seeing your NYC result!

Calbears wow, that is a huge mileage week!

Mikkey great 5k and lots of fast running this week!

My week was rough.  My body feels like it is on the brink of breakdown.  Left hamstring/glute are really bothering me to the point it hurts to sit for long periods.  Sometimes the pain radiates down my leg.  Possibly piriformis?  Right shin has some minor shin splint symptoms.  And I pulled a muscle in my neck throwing one of my kids into bed (playing).  I'm going real easy from here on in but think I've blown this shot at sub 3.  I will eye a spring race and decide after my 11/10 race what I do next.   At this point it is all damage control and just trying to get to the start line relatively healthy.

Day Miles Pace
          Tue 7.2 7:45
          Wed 12 7:50
          Thu 7.2 7:54
          Sat 10.1 7:34
            36.5 7:46
          BigGuySkinny

Also Sling that sounds like a great workout and based on your cycle it sounds to me like sub 3 is happening.  Good luck!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - most of us know you but if you're going to join the thread, please follow the rules and post your full bio! Also thanks for the foot advice, gave me some encouragement

Mikkey - nice race again. I definitely think for your goal half that your speed is going to be your limiting factor. I can't wait to see you blasting 1k repeats for training.

Cal - i just don't understand how someone goes from 0 to 110 in 2 months, really absurd. You know, I don't think you ever posted your full bio, so it would be great if you did for those of us who don't know.

BGS - you should feel better after this down week. Doesn't hit you right away though.

Me - thanks for the advice guys. I do think there's something to be said for things that just pop up out of nowhere. I've had something similar in my glutes last year, where the pain was horrible but was gone within 5 days. I hope this is similar because right now I'm walking with a lump. Andres recommended a good foot pad for me that I'll try, as I think it may be my work shoes. I was able to get 13 done today and although it was painful throughout, it didn't necessarily get worse which is a good sign. One more week of taper may help but I'll nurse this all the way through race day.

In other news, forecast looks pretty good! Low 50s as of now. It's been quite chilly in New York this month so its pretty funny that this week has highs in the uppers 60s, but should cool back down by race day. Wind is a little up there at 10 mph but nothing crazy. Let's see how this evolves over the week but no major storms in the 24 hours around race time so that's good.

You can track me, Andres, and Jayluf (I think that was his handle) at liveresults.nyrr.org by just typing in our names. Goal is sub 2:50 if the foot cooperates. Will decide around mile 20 if I can pick it up for a negative split.

Weekly Summary
              Monday, Oct 22, 2018 thru Sunday, Oct 28, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description Link
              Tue 8.7 7:36 Evening Run strava
              Wed 8.0 7:11 Evening Run strava
              Thu 11.0 6:41 3E + 1T + 2M + 1T + 2M + 2E strava
              Sat 8.0 7:10 Dreadmill Part 1 strava
              Sun 13.0 7:11 Dreadmill Part 2 strava
                48.7 7:08    

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Piwi: Great to have you posting here and going for a marathon, and very cool you are running in Mikey's neighborhood! You've had some great tempo runs lately as I recall so the engine is there for sub 3, probably just a matter of long runs and mileage.

JMac: I hope that foot issue is just a transient thing. Sounds like Andres gave you some good advice on strava. I had a strange foot pain the last week of taper of my last marathon, but did not even mention it here as I felt that would grant it more legitimacy! It lingered until race day but I felt nothing during the race. I hope yours is a similar or even better outcome.

Mikey: Great 5k result especially in the cold and wind. This work on speed and strength should pay off big as you move towards marathon training. Once I get my arse back into decent shape I will be doing the same type of approach.

Cal: Outstanding week!  Amazing that you can jump to that kind of mileage without issues. You are definitely a mileage monster!

BGS: I really hope the injuries fade away. You've put in a solid cycle so at this point taking it easy will not hurt.

Me: I started running again yesterday, 8 days post-surgery, with an easy 5 miles on the mill. Everything felt fine, other than I felt way out of shape. It was exactly 2 weeks since the last run, my marathon. Amazing how quickly fitness is lost! I did 7 miles today outside and also felt fine. Just slow and easy running for me for the next several weeks.

Just for fun I looked back at folks on this thread and their PR races, and whether they were positive of negative splits. The magnitude of the split is listed. Apologies for people I left out of this, I was just thinking off the top of my head, mostly from people I follow on strava, and not being exhaustive. Also for Swim and Lela those are just estimations of the exact split.

Positive split PRs

Madison: +0.54

Weather: +0:58

Andres: +1:18

Finbad: +2:08

Kram: +3:10

JT: +3:16

Negative split PRs

JMac: -1:30

Lela: about 1:00

Swim: less than 1:00

2:52:16 (2018)

Cyberic

Hi, I'm Eric, from Montreal. I'm a French Canadian, so that explains the occasional weird English. Started running at 42 yo (summer 2012) to pass time during my son's soccer practices. Self coached, do not belong to a club. I ran 3 marathons in 12 months in September 2015 (Montreal), April 2016 (Boston) and September 2016 (Montreal again). Did 3:14, 3:18 and 3:13. Did not run a marathon in 2017, and am going to run one in October 2018.

I will most probably not go under 3 this year, so why am I writing this? Because I'll be lurking, I might ask a question here and there, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I do not handle speed work so well, but volume is ok, so I want to see how everybody is training to go sub 3, as I think I can do it maybe next year or the next. Ran about 2750 miles in 2015 and in 2016. In 2017 I ran 3100 (5000+ km). As of now, I ran 90 miles first week of January, and 68 miles this week.

October has come, and I won't feel like a fraud posting here anymore. A picture is worth a thousand words

JMac: Saw your post after I posted mine. That sounds good for the weather, and 1 week out you should be safe for no major changes. Thanks for posting the tracking info. I was a bit surprised Jayluf is doing this since he just ran Chicago!

Cyberic: Congrats on the sub 3!  And nice finishing photo. Looks like you are a Maiden fan?  I have my fingers crossed that the Legacy of the Beast tour extends to North America next year.

2:52:16 (2018)

slingrunner

Congrats Cyberic.  Awesome finishing photo.

Calbears- Love the passion. Perhaps if you considered my approach you could move up to top 99% of runners?

Tried googling around, and there is obviously a lot of stuff with negative/positive splits, and some using data from major races (I couldn't find anything where I didn't think the methodology was flawed) but I've found nothing more convincing than Pfitzinger's take, since it's based on straightforward science.  His explanation for why it doesn't apply to (all) world record holders is solid too.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

slingrunner

By the way, this is an interesting article on treadmill running vs outdoors that suggests treadmill racing is slower (even at 0% incline). Note it doe not dispute heart rate on a treadmill is slower.  Also includes input from a previous treadmill marathon record holder who estimated he would have performed 3 minutes better outdoors when he set his record (and you'd think a 2:21 runner would have a very good idea of what their current fitness was).

https://www.active.com/running/articles/equating-treadmill-and-outdoor-running?page=2

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Cheers for the welcome. Good to see all the old dogs in here 😀

Mikey how will you recover with 2 weeks between marathons ?

Cyberic that photo is gold. Nothing beats that 1st sub 3. Especially if its near your potential.

Cal excellent week I dont know how you handle such big miles so comfortably.

Jmac hope that niggle improves. The dropoff in miles during taper will help alot. I thought I did do a wee bio without been boring 

Reeves good to get that surgery done and i bet you bounce back fast.

Bigskinnyguy us long distance runners are fragile ! My nephews kids were climbing all over me the other day. Felt like id been beaten up after lol.

Slingrunner ive never run on a treadmill but would the no wind thing be a factor. When we run outside we create our own apparent wind just by moving into still air. So if you run at 15 km/hr on a still day you have the feeling of 15 km/hr wind. Or am I overthinking this 

Quick bio for those who dont know me.

Married 4 kids live in New Zealand

Started running at 42 in 2010.

1st marathon 2013 2.59 off pfitz 18/70 age 45

2nd marathon 2014 2.54 off pfitz 18/70-18/85 age46

Then lost my way a bit with up and down mileage.

kramrunner

Indy 2018: Taper I/II
                              M     00 54 13         6.50
                              T      01 30 36        11.13 tm w/ 3wu + 6x1@5:56 + 2cd, 0.5%, rec: 60-90s static
                              W     00 37 47        4.37
                              Th     -- -- --            URD feeling lazy
                              F      01 18 46        9.59
                              S      01 29 48       12.0 tm w/ 2wu + 3.1/1.5/1.5@(6:53/6:27/6:18) + cd, 0.5%, rec: 4min jog
                              S      01 20 14         9.97 o/b hines
                                                           ====

Solid week for me. I got a good T session in on Tue morning and a good session in on Sat too, although my HR got a little on the high side as I got pretty dehydrated. I took a day off on Thur out of nothing more than pure laziness. Nothing about my race is gonna change at this late stage. As of now, I'm still uncertain as to what I'll do on race day. My primary option is to simply run the thing and try bring home a sub3. This would hopefully not require me going to the well and then I can use this as something to immediately build on as opposed to burying myself. However, there's also the what the hell option and just seeing where my pace settles in and if that's 6:50 so be it but if it's 6:30 then so be it too. This would pretty much guarantee a death march of some form as my cycle has been messy and I've only averaged a little over 50mpw, but I must admit to having a certain what the hell attitude come raceday. So, let's see.

Swim: Great to have you back around and good to hear training is going well. It would be great if you could get back to posting weeklies sometime in the future as your workouts were always something to aspire to.

Nice pacing discussion Cal/Sling! I'm on the positive split side of the argument. I think in an ideal race execution, then hitting an even split would be the goal; however, in practice PRing pretty much requires that you cross the line as a dead man, which means a positive split of some form imho. Now, if you cross the line PRing and it's been fun. Then time was left on the course relative to your current fitness. Though, see the guy who broke the HM WR today and negative split in a suspicious as fook way. See, him at the finish too. Fresh as a daisy. Whatever juice he's on is good. Another WR falls to those ridiculous 4% shoes Sad

Sling: I do all my running alone, so I find the tm invaluable for keeping me accountable when a hard Q session is required. Sure, it's not exactly the same as running outside, but I think that the difference is much less than people typically let on. Great job on the 10k and if you had to work hard, you'll benefit regardless of the exact value of the run. My feeling is that the effects of almost zero airflow and whatever effort you lose to the tm suspension is not taken fully into consideration in these discussions.

JMAC: Yikes, well if you are going to do taper madness, do it right! I really hope that foot pain responds positively to the reduced mileage. Btw, what are your easy run shoes?

PK: Aha, welcome back! bah, I had it pictured as you having Mikkey on hand to meet you at various points and provide fluids/new dry hat/loving words, like Rupp and Salazar! Seems like you 2 will have to duel to the death instead... or at least beer it up after. It'll be interesting  seeing how that huge timezone difference will affect you.

Mikkey: Nice work on the 5k. Weekly ish racing sounds like fun. As with much else, all the runs here want $$ and that can add up quick. You might be able to sneak under 18 if your legs take to all this racing.

Cal: Diesel power. You know yourself, so know when a cutback week will be needed to avoid all that injury bs that hangs around us like a bad smell.

BGS: That's rough. Heal up. I hope you are rolling, especially for your calf with the potential onset of shin splints. I've found a tennis ball to hit the balance between hardness and getting into the muscle when chasing after piriformis ghosts or showing my calves/feet some love.

JT: Good that you are back running. Remember to forget your very recent excellent fitness and to work back up cautiously. Yup, positive split for me, but I happy with going for it and learning along the way.

Cyber: Congrats on sub3. Please consider posting. Getting below 3hrs isn't easy and we all learn from the work and mistakes each of us are required to make to get there.

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

finbad

late to most of these threads but here goes

Sling - nice treadmill workout, especially as you seem to be judging it against other treadmill workouts, a nice confidence boost.

JMac - sounds like your in the right frame of mind, bullshit timing but could just evaporate before the weekend

Piwi - good to see you back, stick around

Cal - way to gently ramp up the mileage!

BGS - I have a chronic right piriformis thing going on, need to do a bit of lying on my back pulling my knee across my body every day or I get a dull ache that can build up to a weak feeling as far down as the calf (perhaps tightening muscle impinging a nerve or something?)

JT - interesting split information from this group. I think my pacing strategy is to negative split a 23 mile race then hang on for dear life.

Cyberic - congratulations, what are you racing next?

Kram - nice week. I hesitate to bring up the most boring topic in marathoning but - do you actually think the 4% shoes are working? I think nike are just good about using their money to put the dopiest/fastest folk into their shoes. That said, I've got a pair of the cheaper non4% ones and do like them (raced from 5k to marathon in them but only PB was marathon) maybe my marathon PB needs an *

my week was 40 miles, one day off and one sort-of workout. On the up. Had a few club mates running Frankfurt this weekend and am now extra motivated as one of the women in my pacing group got 2:40

Good racing this weekend folks.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k