2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

weatherboy80

Thanks guys.  As for the hills, it was only one stretch right at mile 2 that made the course difficult, at least by my "flat" standards Smile  As for the conditions, don't think they were that detrimental to running a fast time assuming one was warmed up sufficiently Wink

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi I love your new suck it up attitude. I can use that with your calf right? 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac calf all healed...i know amazing 

Sorry not trying to belittle your injury but I have had that one although I didnt run a marathon with it 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Jmac remember dont try anything new on raceday....that includes meds. Put up with that bruised feeling. It wont impact your perfomance.

a) this above is truth.

b) if you do take something, I would take Tylenol rather than an NSAID like Ibuprofen.  NSAIDs can cause gastric distress, and there's also a documented risk of kidney problems when you combine NSAIDS and long distance running races.  (https://www.irunfar.com/2010/07/ibuprofen-and-its-effects-during-ultramarathons.html).  Granted, there's a difference between the NYC marathon and the Hard Rock 100, but still...I'd be very cautious here.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Dark wave thank you for your wisdom as always, that is an excellent point and as someone who's number one limiting factor in most races is unbearable nausea and stitches, I have to be extra careful.

Piwi - did my final tune up today on it and it actually felt better when I sped up to tempo pace than just easy pace, so I think you're right: I can suck this one up. You tend to say it more as banter: mikkey would tell me to STFU and run.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

madisonrunner

weather - congrats on the win and sub 17 - that's awesome.

JMac - I take acetaminophen before marathons (in pamprin), the goal being to reduce inflammation during the race and dull the pain a little bit.  Not sure how much it helps (if at all) but it doesn't hurt.  I agree with not taking ibuprofin as darkwave mentions.  Good luck!

Re:  Vaporflys

I have run my last 3 marathons in the 'original' model.  I really like them as they are extremely light and very cushioned.  The stack is so high that stability can be an issue.  Making sharp turns or even going down steep hills feels a bit unstable.  But otherwise they are light and fast.  Make sure they are tied tight - should feel like a part of your foot.  Also, you really need to be going fast in them.  There's a rhythm to hit where they work really well.  If you go slower than that they just feel too cushioned.  I think the real revolution here is the foam.  The plate is just necessary to make sure the foam has a bit of structure to work with.  Lots of shoes have had plates (think track spikes, for example).  I also bought a pair of the new flyknit version and like them a bit better as the upper is kind of sock-like so fits on your foot even better.  In terms of performance improvement, I feel they are the best marathon racing shoes out there, but not significantly better than other shoes.  In 2016 I ran 2:39 with normal racing flats on the same course I ran 2:37 on earlier this month.  Conditions were slightly better this year and I was in better shape as well, so I don't see the shoes really making a difference.  In 2017 on the same course (I was in similar shape to 2016 but conditions were worse) I ran 2:41 in the vaporflys.  Don't expect them to make a big difference - putting in the work is the key, as always.

I crushed my two recent workouts.  On Sunday I did 16 miles starting at ~20% slower than MP with the last 5 down to ~10% slower.  Then yesterday was a tough VO2 max workout of 3x1 miles.  I ran these miles faster than the last time I did the workout (1.5 weeks before my last marathon).  So I think I'll be signing up for the Madison marathon on 11/14.  I'll watch the weather, but right now it looks very good (30s with a chance of snow).  I like it in the 30s much more than in the 50s so should be good for me.  Since I've bagged my PR I will likely be a bit more aggressive at Madison.  Right now I'm thinking to go out in 1:16:XX.  The course is hilly with the second half much more challenging so a few minute positive split is probably the fastest way to run it.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Madison - great work, going back to back would be very impressive. 3x1 mile for V02 max is super intense. What shoes have you raced in the past that you like just as much? I'm in the market for new marathon flats.

finbad

Kram - that amount of ping does look nuts. Going to try that with my zoomfly this evening and see what it's like. I wonder if the stiffness shown in that video can be directly transferred to augment your running effort (guess that World Records say yes), I remember trying on a pair of the Adidas Springblade shoes and they were a joke despite being very bouncy.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

Cyberic

No expert here madison but actetaminophen does not reduce inflammation. That is what NSAID is for (ibuprofen), and there is a risk, as Darkwave mentioned. The risk is actually NSAID + dehydration, and I don't think I'd be dehydrayed enough running a marathon in NYC in November to have any problem. But I'd also play it on the safe side and not take ibuprofen, just in case, even if plenty of runners use it without known problems for marathons.

finbad

Just realised I missed a whole tranche of messages

Weatherboy - great result. If you'd had someone chasing you or a bunch to work with I'd bet on further lump coming off that time.

Madison - be really cool to see you going again soon.

I don't take painkillers, certainly not as a prophylactic pain dampener. I know it's not directly equivalent but I see quite a few damaged kidneys and stomachs coming in through my work (pathology) so I don't touch them.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Fin - I agree on painkillers in general, I tend to avoid them even if after injury a doctor will tell me to take an anti-inflammatory.

Cyber - good point on the tylenol.

Shoes - I'm going to hold off on getting new ones for a month or so. I did about 4 hours of research the past two days and still haven't reached a conclusion. If you were to race in the Vaporflies, it seems odd to me that you wouldn't train in them either (I've always trained in my racing flats when doing long MP or LT work). I guess you would get a shoe close to the Vaporfly to train in?

CalBears

JMac - I don't know how serious the problem is, but if I start thinking about taking ibuprofen, I would first think about not running the race. Of course, a capsule or two should not make any damage, but I still would be careful.

Vaporflys - yeah, I still not comfortable to spend $250 (plus tax) for a pair of shoes - that's just crazy - one of the reasons I like this sport is because you don't need much. But I would also be lying if I say I would not want to try them one day. Will see. For now I guess as many of us here as I see I will start from little brother - Zoom Fly Smile or maybe Zoom Flyknit when they go on sale ( hopefully).

I guess it was just a matter of time to become "mortal" again Smile . Almost every cycle you do something that lands your hopes for at least awhile. My mistake, probably, was doing strides at the end of MLR for two days in a row - after first day it was totally fine, but last night I started to have really unpleasant pain in a lower inside part of my left foot - feels like a bruise. It's actually feels more or less OK in a shoe but pretty painful to step on without a shoe. Obviously (after some hesitation, of course Smile ) I took a day off, I suspect I will take another day off running tomorrow too - and then will go from there. Good news - I hope it's nothing serious as I hopefully caught it at the very beginning. Second - there is still plenty of time till the race. And third - maybe it's even good I take few days off running - should not be very detrimental - of course, if the issue is not more serious then I think it is.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Cal bugger on the injury. You are human at least 

I watched the Frankfurt Marathon last night and alot of the Elites were in the Vaporflys. It seems they only come in red....

I cant afford a shoe like that which only lasts a small amount of miles. I think the novelty will wear off somewhat but we will see similar technologies from the other shoe companies.

My calf injury has passed or maybe I passed it on to Cal 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Andres1045

JMac - Thanks for the info! I hadn't realized that they had such an early cutoff for the corrals.  I assume all of that info will be with the packet pick up stuff??? As I mentioned on Strava, I get in on Saturday around midday, and will get to the expo rather soon after that. I'm scheduled on a 6:45 ferry, and last I remember, it still took about an hour to get to the village using the ferry (back in 2006).  Assuming that's the same, I should still have some time at the village before it's go time if you want to meet up.  Totally understand if you're going to be in absolute focus mode and rather not have the stress of trying to track someone down.  If I was in shape, I probably would be.

Piwi - I love the commitment to run another marathon, and that it's in Brighton makes it awesome! If I could make some other plans around it (doubtful), I'd come join you guys.

Cal - that sucks about the injury, but sounds minor.  My guess it's only a blip on your way to CIM.

My bib is 2195, if anyone was looking to track - there's another guy with my same name from Houston running NYC, and he's only one year older.  My time won't be anywhere close to sub3, but totally good with me. I'm actually feeling quite good about my running, even though I don't have much objective data to point to in support of the idea that I'm back on track. I'll do the best I can Sunday, but it's going to be a struggle no matter what after 20.  I haven't even run anything over 18 since Boston, and my 7 week average has been about 50 or just under.  Before that, I was running some zero weeks with some in the 15-30 range.

I'll try to join the forum back up in the new year. Hopefully at that point I'll be running some decent times again. I plan to train hard for the half in January, then find a spring marathon to ramp up for.

Great running all!

Upcoming races: Boston

CalBears

I cant afford a shoe like that which only lasts a small amount of miles. I think the novelty will wear off somewhat but we will see similar technologies from the other shoe companies.

Yeah, the price tag for vaporflys is kind of crazy when I compare it to other things I can buy for the same amount - for example, I can buy two round-trip plane tickets from San Francisco to Los Angeles. It's just mind boggling - I guess I will wait and see if I need them at all - I still hope to be faster than most of those "nouveau riche" runners in vaporflys at CIM in December Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile