2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Andres - last year, I only got off the bus in time to speed walk to my corral before it closed. I only say that to say it can be hard to meet up early given how slow the bus unload is.. Are you actually going to run out of Orange Corral A? If so, I plan on being in that same corral. We may find each other in the corral if that's the case. May be easier for you to find me because I'll be one of the only Blue colored bibs in the entire corral.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Vaporflys + CIM = Jackpot!

Weatherboy - Big congrats on the win and Sub17....I’m surprised that you don’t race more as you’ve been in such great shape for so long now....don’t take that for granted so make the most of it!

JT - Good to see you back running and hope you’re recovering well. 👍

JMac - Hey I politely said that I thought you’d be fine! I’m glad the weather is looking good and the foot is manageable. 👍

Andres - Good luck and looking forward to your return next year! I might be on the move during the race so probably won’t be able to do the tracking. And that would be great if you can get to Brighton as well. 😀

Kram - I don’t think you should push it....maybe go for Sub3 and move on with less recovery.

Cal - Damn hopefully a day or 2 rest is enough....you’ve done this build up before with success, so I know you’re not crazy. 😜

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Andres good luck at NYC. It will be nice to run with no time expectation and just soak up atmosphere. Im exactly where you are with 5 weeks at 50 mpw and very low mileage for a few months prior to that.

Unfortunately NYC is on around 1am here so Im going to miss the live tracking which is always so exciting.

Mikey you need to update your 5k in your sig. Whats the plan for your recovery between Brighton and London ? How will you choose which to jog and which to race ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

slingrunner

Hope your race goes well NYC runners!

My cold has come back worse again (been off and on again for about 5 weeks now), and I was unable to complete my final vo2 max workout 3x1600 10 days out from my race.  I got one rep in at the right pace and under control at the track, but when I slowed down I was coughing too much and could do nothing beyond walking.  I'm seeing a doc this weekend to maybe get on some meds before my race.  I'd like to finish this workout... any ideas on how long I can wait and my body will still be able to apply the gains in time for my race?

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Andres: Nice to see you here again and good luck on Sunday! I should be able to track if I get my arse out and do my pathetic slow run early enough.

Cal: That mileage/month increase: from 0 to 372 in 2 months, not many people could pull that off!  I would say you earned a couple days off and I hope that helps solve the foot issue.

Sling: 10 days out from the race there is nothing to be gained; I would say just run easy and rest a lot, try to get over your cold. Don't worry about getting in any hard workouts. Maybe next week, 3 or 4 days out from your race, you can do a fast mile in the middle of an easy run.

2:52:16 (2018)

kramrunner

Cal: Stay safe, looks like you've caught it nice and early. I gave up doing flat strides for exactly this reason... too easy to end up going too fast when you get nice and loose. I try and restrict myself to hill strides now.

Andres: Good luck Sunday. Sounds like you'll have great weather and be really able to enjoy the NYC experience.

Madison: You are looking in really good shape. I guess the only way to find out if you've fully recovered will be somewhere around mile 22/23... an enviable position to be in!

I plan to head out at something sub3 and see what happens. I can be tracked at bib #5149. A number of likely lads are also running...

Gabby Triboy #2769
              Cajun Straub #5835
              Aussie Chap #1769

They're all likely chasing something sub2:45. Weather forecast is friendly Smile

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

madisonrunner

JMac - Prior to the vaporflys I raced in Asics Gel Hyperspeed 4 and then Zoot Ultra Kiawe 2.  They are both lightweight.  The Hyperspeeds had almost no cushioning while the Kiawes were a bit more structured.

One more comment about the vaporflys - I envision they will last as long or longer than my other marathon racing flats (~500 miles).  I have 275 on my first pair already, including 3 marathon races.  I'll race in my new pair now that I have them (maybe the foam is a bit better brand new??) but I plan to continue to do workouts and long runs in the old pair.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Madison - I’m still racing in the HyperSpeed! This is my last pair of them though (v6). I bought about 5 pairs of them when I knew they were going out of stock. So I’m in the market for something to replace them. As you said, seems like the market has gotten significantly more cushioned, but also back to a 10MM drop, so it’s going to be a bit of transition for me. I had a really hard time finding many racing shoes below 8 mm drop that were meant for marathons.

Kram - best of luck. Sub 3 would be so impressive from you. Looks like you’ve got a great crew running in Indy. Don’t get drawn in trying to run something crazy!

Sling - I said this before, but you really should get that checked out. I’ve never heard of a cold lasting 5 weeks. Maybe just a lingering cough.

Piwi - he probably wants to race London, but he can’t let you beat him, so that’s going to be a tough choice.

Cal - as others have said, this buildup is normal for you so can’t really comment, most people would have solicited a “of course you got injured, you went from 0 to 100 in a couple of months”

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Piwi - he probably wants to race London, but he can’t let you beat him, so that’s going to be a tough choice.

No I’ll be racing Brighton and of course I don’t want Piwi to beat me!  2 weeks is plenty of time to recover for London. 😯

Kram - Good luck Saturday! Who is the Straub guy you mentioned? I assume he used to post on RWOL.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

weatherboy80

Good luck Jmac, Andres, Kram!

Cal: Rest up.  That was a huge last few weeks!

Sling: nothing to be gained at this point.  Run EZ for now ...

Madison: Damn you are in good shape!

Mikkey: Agree that I should be racing a bit more often, especially more in the 5K to 10K Smile

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

BigGuySkinny

Good luck Jmac, Andres, Kram!

+1  Looking forward to seeing how your races go!

And congrats Weatherboy on your win, that's pretty cool!

Cal hope you are feeling better.  I don't know how you do it...

Sling a woman I work with has had a cold/hacking cough for over a month now.  She has been to the doctor and they just told her to use over the counter stuff but it's not going away.  Sounds like what you have.  Seems pretty miserable.

Weather damn your sig line looks good now with that sub 17.

Mikey last night i watched youtube videos and Vlogs on Brighton Marathon to get a feel for the course, I know Im sad but prepared 

Jmac stop trying to build up a rivalry between me and Mikey, we all know if he doesnt beat me by 10 mins he is a complete failure 

Sling what JT said. The hay is in the barn. Rest up and that cold will go by raceday I promise 

Ok good luck to all racers, Jmac, Kram, Maddison, Andres ( enjoy your jogging marathon  Wink,

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Good luck tomorrow Kram!  Don't stay out too late drinking with Aussie and Strugglr. 

I got a late start but here is the latest from Indy:

Kram through 10k in 42:34 and the half in 1:29:30, looking good for a sub 3.

Straub through 10k in 38:52, and the half in 1:22:02

Struggler through 10k in 39:48 and the half in 1:23:56

Aussie through 10k in 40:00 and the half in 1:24:37

Kram through 30k in 2:07:14, on track for 2:59 or so.

Straub though 30k in 1:58:18

Struggler through 30k in 2:00:00

Aussie through 30k in 2:00:35; can he close the gap on Struggler?