2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Kram finished in 2:57:40!  Nice negative split and well under 3, great job!

Straub: 2:50:36

Aussie: 2:52:25

Struggler: 2:53:47

Looks like the tables have been turned in the epic Aussie/Struggler battle; congrats Aussie on the victory and PR!

2:52:16 (2018)

slingrunner

Nice job Kram! Hope the other guys are happy with their times, although pretty far off 2:45.

Following up here, I saw my doctor, who is actually running the Philly marathon for his marathon in 20 years.  I think more of his questions for me were about his race than about my health. Smile  Anyway he put me on some steroids that should be out of my system by race time.  The research I saw said that I"m borderline as far as supercompensation happening in time for my race with a vo2 max workout, so I may do a few tempo as part of my long run, and then just focus on getting healthy.  Early forecasts for Harrisburg show mid30s at start with minimal wind...some chances of rain or snow in surrounding days, but overall pretty decent.  It's pretty windy today in Philly, so hope it dies down for tomorrows runners in NYC.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

SubDood

Congrats kram! Nice negative split, too.

JT - Thanks for tracking!

jmac - Good luck tomorrow!

sling - Get well!

me - whatever upper respiratory thing I had, it seems to have cleared up this week and I feel great! About 5 weeks total of feeling like crap. But now I'm thinking about a December marathon to give it another try ...

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Kram - Very good result!...and I see you dropped the hammer in the final mile! 👍   No idea who Straub is, Strugglr had a dodgy knee, but I was expecting a lot more from Aussie (at least Sub 2:50)

Sling - I hope you get better for next weekend, I’d play it by ear regarding the next 8 days, but don’t push it, maybe some strides to keep the legs fresh.

SubDood - Glad you’re feeling better and if you can find a suitable marathon in December then go for it. 👍

JMac and Andres - Have a good one tomorrow!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Kram - great work getting that sub 3 in on such limited training!

JT - thanks for tracking folks. I wish they would come back here, I was more of a lurker when the two of them were really battling but I always enjoyed reading their antics.

Mikkey - Pretty surprised how off 2:45 they were given their split at the half. Weather wasn’t a factor. As I said to JT, wish they kept posting here, would love to know what happened

Sling - really happy you got it checked out, hopefully you feel better soon! Wind should be negligible tomorrow, we lucked out.

Sub - Same thing, happy you’re feeling better!

Me - excited to get out there tomorrow! Best of luck to Andres as well. Foot still hurts, but I’d say it’s probably half the pain it was when I first felt it last week, so should just be more annoying than a hindrance in performance. We hit the weather jackpot, and legs felt much better in my shakeout today than they have all week. Looking to come through the half around 1:23-1:24 and then go from there! The professional race should be good too, especially on the women’s side. Not sure any of the American women have a great chance at winning, but would be amazing if we could see 3 of the top 5 spots locked up by them.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Sling the steroids should help. Ben Johnson used them in the 1988 Olympics and he ran really fast 

Kram excellent pacing and comfortable sub 3.

I follow Strugglr and Aussie. Sounds like a battle for Strugglr with knee issues but not sure about Aussie. 2.52 isnt shabby but hes in better form.

My left calf/hammy is sore again after 2 stupid days of big elevation.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac: Glad the foot is better and I like the plan for the half split! The weather does indeed look great for it. Best of luck to you and to Andres.

I agree regarding the women's elite race. It would be great to see Shalane pull off an upset but that will be really difficult. Keitany will not have the issue she did last year and will be tough to beat. Even if she's off Vivian C is really strong as well. And Desi is a wild card. Should be a good one!

For the men's elite I think Kamworor will absolutely crush it.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - Pretty surprised how off 2:45 they were given their split at the half. Weather wasn’t a factor. As I said to JT, wish they kept posting here, would love to know what happened

I joined Strava this year and from my observation they both love attention and praise...and they have a lot of followers to give them what they want and nobody is ever going to ask why they were so off goal time!  I’ll try and persuade them to participate next year and keep it real. We don’t allow sandbaggers on this thread. 😜

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

slingrunner

OK, this is freaky, but I have the exact same problem JMac had last week with his right foot.  Even looked back to his post to confirm.

Everything was normal, just walking to the store to pick up my meds, and suddenly I'm limping.  My last few days had been 0,4 (w/ 1 mile@5K),  so it definitely wasn't overuse (5 was on treadmill).  I also did some intense calf massaging in the morning, and some work on the heels of my foot, and I did wake up to a leg cramp this morning if those are clues.  Today was supposed to be 6, but my form was so off due to pain I stopped it at 3.  I'm taking my own advice and hoping it's nothing.   I actually have a similar random pain in my right wrist too??  Going to try to drink a lot of fluids and ice it, and not sure about tomorrow's 13.

Well, hit a homerun tomorrow JMac, so I can continue to copycat you....

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Sling - Having the same problems as JMac is probably a good sign....and I refuse to say anything crude about your random right wrist pain. 😯

My week...

Mon - 12.2 @ 7:43

Tue - 4.2 @ 7:19,  6.5 @ 6:58 (6x800 in 2:55 average - 400 easy recovery 2min)

Thur - 14.2 @ 7:13 (4@6:28 average, 1 easy then 2 @ 6:25/6:20)

Sat - 10 @ 7:12 (treadmill progression run from 8:02 to 6:26)

Total - 47

slingrunner

Sling - Having the same problems as JMac is probably a good sign....and I refuse to say anything crude about your random right wrist pain. 😯

Haha!  I've decided the wrist is probably from the heavy rubbing work... on my calves. If he could do 13 miles the day after, I shall give it a go too...all taped up but still hurts like a...

Edit- Continuing just like JMac... pain lessened dramatically as the run went on, and had to alter landing less and less.  Now to watch NYC.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Quick flyby to wish Jmac good luck (I'm guessing he won't see this).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Cyberic

Great job to yesterday's racers and hopefully today will be just as good!

I don't post much, as you all "know" each other from a few years, so I just read and will throw a random post here and there.

Today is two weeks post marathon. Legs were sore the first week, but they're much better now. Ran every day this week.

Mon-Fri: Run commute to work = 7-8 miles per day

Sat: 11 miles on the small mountain in town

Sun: 15.7 chatty miles with my buddy

Total of 68, all easy miles.

Back to NYCM coverage...

Beautiful weather here in the Northeast this morning, great day for a marathon!

JMac: 5k in 20:01, 6:27 pace

Andres: 5k in 22:20, 7:12 pace

JMac: 10k in 39:05, 6:18 pace. 19:04 for last 5k, he's going for it!