2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Swim5599

BGS: Great job gutting it out; I am surprised you could even run given the stomach bug!  You'll get the sub 3 in your next attempt.

Madison: Awesome race and thanks for the race report.  That course is very hilly, so pulling off a 2:39 is very impressive. Also 3rd place out of >1100 is amazing.

Sling: Great result, and even though not sub 3 it is a great time and effort. Sorry to hear you won't go for it again but maybe give it some time and the bug may bite you again.

MT: Nice progression of the mileage. I think you are on the right track; adding one hard workout/week will be a great stimulus. Agree with Mikey to be careful if you run fast intervals on trails; it may be safer on a good modern surfaced track.

Weather: Great week and the 4 x 2 mile was awesome! I think I kudoed that on strava before you gave it a title and did not realize what was in there. That's a great sign of what's possible for you in the half.

Swim: Wow, another huge week!  I'll ask again: what will MP be at sea level?  What is the goal for CIM?

Me: More easy mileage. I was most happy to get back to my "placeholder" long run of 16 mi today. HR is still higher than what it should be for these paces, but is gradually coming down. Just going to continue increasing mileage but keep it easy till HR is back where it should be.

Weekly Summary
    Monday, Nov 05, 2018 thru Sunday, Nov 11, 2018

Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
    Mon 4.3 9:10 Morning Run 337 strava
    Tue 10.1 8:06 Morning Run 495 strava
    Thu 10.1 7:57 Morning Run 497 strava
    Fri 5.1 8:56 Morning Run 352 strava
    Sat 10.0 8:10 Morning Run 503 strava
    Sun 16.0 8:06 Long run 866 strava

Sorry I missed your question the first time.  At 7000 ft it can be 15-21 seconds.  Everyone handles it differently though so I’m not sure.  Goal is to PR and whatever that happens to be I’ll take it.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

steve_

powered by plants

Hey everyone.

Short version:  I ran the marathon of my life.  Caught lightning (Maurten, perhaps) in a bottle.  2:54:22 (1:27:30, 1:26:520.  41:19 for the last 10k.  Passed 5 in the last 8 miles.  No one passed me.  3 min PR.  1st Place Master.  11th overall.

Very long version: 

The original plan was to run the Bucks County Marathon along the Delaware River towpath on the same day. As race day drew closer, I knew that rain in the days before was a distinct possibility. The towpath is mostly dirt and if it rains within 3 day, there's gonna be puddles. So last week I found Harrisburg which I assumed would be hilly. Turns out, it's actually a very flat marathon in central Pa. Weird.

Anyway, I booked a hotel 2 blocks from the finish and registered last week. Something you can't do for a lot of marathons. We drove out yesterday, and to be honest, the city is a dump. We walked the main drag of 2nd St. on Saturday and were shocked by the dearth of people out on a relatively nice Fall weekend. Either way, we were lucky to find a veg place and even got a pizza to share at a wine bar before heading in for the night.

Race morning. I tried to do everything by the book this time. I tapered for 3 weeks. I tapered hard the last week. I kept the quality runs in there to the end. I did strides. When I woke up on race morning I ate. I had about 500 Cal of oatmeal bars and coffee followed by a 500mL Maurten 320 drink. In fear of having a horrendous song stuck in my head for the next 3 hours, I listened to some old Eminem. (Side note here...I don't race with headphones and generally I only listen to podcasts when I run in the mornings, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had a sh*t song stuck running through their brain during a race. During my last half it was "September" by Earth, Wind and Fire. No thanks. 8 Mile it is.) Randi and I walked the 10 minutes from our hotel to the start on City Island where I hit the portapotty and jogged an easy 5 minutes.

It was cold. Probably the first cold day of the year for me. Temps were around 34F at the start with very light breeze out of the WNW. I decided to go with armwarmers and gloves, singlet, short tights, my high compression socks and a throwaway winter hat. The gun went off at 8 on the dot.

The first mile felt like I knew it would. Hard. Even though I knew I was in shape to run sub 6:40s, there is no time when running that pace from basically a dead standstill feels easy. I told myself to just be patient and stay relaxed. The first two miles were done in 13:35. We crossed back into the eastern part of Harrisburg and the race started to pick up. We had a few rollers and a big downhill that brought us to the first part of the river Greenbelt run. This is where my race almost took a tragic end. Right at the 4 mile mark I turned my left ankle between two slabs of sidewalk. I yelled out "F*CK!" and all the volunteers asked "are you okay???" I could tell that my stride wasn't affected and figured if I did something bad, I'd know soon enough. Within a mile, we headed onto a gravel path, over an old railroad bridge and back onto terra firma. There I caught up to 2 guys who had been about 20m ahead of me for the race. We ran most of the next mile together. Around 10k, one of them turned to me and said "You sound pretty congested". WTF??? What type of sh*t is that to say to someone a quarter of the way into a marathon? Immediately I decided I was going to beat this guy and hopefully make him hurt doing so.

During mile 9 we caught up to Chuck Engle and another dude. And then there were 4. This proved to be the best move I made in the race. I hit the 9 mile mark at 59:57. A smidge under 6:40 pace. I didn't feel exactly great, I felt like I had just run 9 miles in the last hour. We crossed back over to City Is. and did a lap before hitting mile 10 on the bridge back to the river Greenbelt. Randi was waiting on the other side of the bridge with a bottle for me. I had never done this before, but I knew that fueling (or, more specifically, lack of) has been what has kept me from nailing my marathon potential. I grabbed the bottle and immediately started swigging my Maurten 320. Look, if it works for Kipchoge, it's gotta work for me.

The race took a little loop-de-loop and headed northward into a slight headwind. There were 4 of us. We were chatting. I tried to keep in the back out of the wind. Around mile 12 I moved into the front and we picked up another guy who was ahead of us.

You spend a good amount of time on that pathway and you can see what you're gonna be running on coming home. It is a bit daunting to be at mile 12 and see the 22 mile mark, but I just kept telling myself that there'd be a tailwind coming back.

Finally during the 14th mile we turned into a residential area (probably just to add mileage?) for a mile before heading north again at the 15 mile mark. At this point we dropped 3 of the group and it was just me and "Congestion Guy". Miles were clicking off. We hit that magical 16 mile mark. 10 to go. I had this. Soon we saw the leader pass us coming back. Then second...and third. They all looked strong. Then we started seeing the others.

There's nothing like looking at someone's eyes who's almost a mile ahead of you and knowing that you're gonna get them. We hit the turnaround at 17.8 or so and immediately picked off another guy.

We now had a tailwind but also a wicked sunglare. Even with my shades it was rough. I kept sipping my bottle every few minutes. We hit mile 19 and "Congestion Guy" said "6:18!! What are we doing???". I said, "okay...let's ease up". I relaxed for the next mile but still started to pull away. At the 20 mark, I hit the lap button on my Garmin. This is where the race begins. 2:13:01.

I tossed my bottle as we turned back away from the river. I remembered seeing the 21 mile mark was on a big downhill. Hitting that I knew I had about 5 to go. Or the same distance as from the end of Breezy Point to my house. A run I've done hundreds of times. During mile 22 I picked off 3 more guys.

The race then turned back onto Front Street running parallel to the Greenbelt that we'd run on heading out. As I passed the next water stop (with no runners in sight ahead of me) I heard one of them say "whoa...he looks strong". I kept checking my lap pace to see that I had in fact picked it up. The tailwind stayed and the road dipped down a bit. I could start to see someone up the road. Just past mile 24, we dropped down again to the water. I knew in the last mile we'd have to go back up to the road from the river. I continued to close on what was 11th place. When we hit the hairpin that brought us up he basically walked. I passed him at the top and realized the next guy was just ahead. WTF??? These guys must have absolutely died in the late miles. With a kilometer to go you get back onto the streets and zigzag into town to the finish. I was closing on the next guy. I looked at the time and knew sub 2:54 wasn't happening but maybe I could catch this last dude. I gave everything I had left that final 150m stretch to the finish. I was gonna get him. He was practically walking. As I got closer the crowd was going apesh*t. He had headphones on. My hamstrings, my calves all started to lock up. My form went to sh*t. As I pulled within a step of him, he realized what was happening and sprinted to the finish a step ahead of me. Damn.

I hit the half in 1:27:30. I ran the back half in 1:26:52. I didn't know that I won the Masters until I got a text from my dad at the hotel. I couldn't be happier. I would have liked to get under 2:54. Somehow I feel like 2:53:XX looks a lot faster than 2:54:XX, but I'll take it. I honestly don't know how much faster I can get at this distance. Everything went right today and the course was great. The temps peaked at about 44F for the race and to be honest, that's about as warm as I want. Maybe I'll try Philly one more time. Maybe just keep running NYC. Boston for fun in two years. Who knows.

Hiring a coach made all the difference this year. I ran fewer miles than any other marathon prep but I blew away my old PR. And I'm 5 years older. Hard to argue with that.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

finbad

BGS - terrible luck with the illness but amazing result considering.

Madison - impressive time on the course but most impressive is that you seem to be pretty dialled in to your race craft. You've got to feel good about building on that, cool to see.

Sling - Not much of a consolation but that was a great race report. Sounds like you got everything out of yourself and ran a quality time anyway. If you're going to cut back your mileage and run Boston perhaps you could be the control to test the lower mileage and higher quality for a marathon?

The Steve - Brilliant feeling when it all goes right. Great result.

Me - couple of crap weeks, bit of plantar that is refusing to shift. Also ran the Scottish short course cross county race (4k) on Saturday afternoon with a blazing hangover and was nearly sick.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

steve - wow. Big congrats!!!  For me, it's cool to see someone breakthrough to a new level when they've been training for many years.

Give your coach a raise!

weatherboy80

Awesome race Steve!  Enjoyed your race recap.  Sounds like a perfectly executed race to me and how fun is it to pass so many people in the last 10K!

JT:  Very solid week.  You'll be back very soon!

Swim: Monster week!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Steve that was a very enjoyable race report and well executed race. So congestion guy got you huh 

Maddison fantastic race and time so soon after your last marathon. You must be made of steel.

Sling wow that was so close. Probably one shoe lace tying effort from sub 3. Sounds rough at the finish. You may forget and come back for another 

BGS you did a great job considering your stomach issues.

I ran a 10k on saturday but re pulled my calf 1km in. I carried onto 5.5kms but was getting very sore and altering my gait. This is the 3rd week in a row I have just got it back to feeling ok on runs and then I do something stupid and over exert it.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

AceHarris

Hey all, I'm new to this forum, but have been on RA for a little while. Spend most of my time in the 3:20 group! (and will continue to do so, dwave)

I ran my first sub-3 marathon last weekend in Indianapolis! Race report here if you're bored (https://tnrun.blogspot.com/)

Just introducing myself as I may be lurking around here from time to time. I go by Ace and live in East TN. I've been running most of my life, but just focused on marathons the last couple years. Gradually progressed form 3:29 to 2:57 over the last 2 years. Not sure what to do next with running goals, but want to keep running 26.2.

I'll try to go back through the forum and "get to know" the group and then realize how slow I am in comparison.

As you were.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CalBears

BGS - 10 minutes positive split is no fun. But you finished the race and I am pretty sure learned something from it and from the training cycle. I think the cycle was not too good, too many non-desired "events" happened. Just try to get a good uneventful cycle and you should get there.

madison - great time, great report, congrats on 3rd OA. Though I was under impression you wanted to capitalize on your fitness and go for another PR? At the same time, per your description the course was pretty tough, seems like more difficult than the one you ran your PR on. Did you run this course before?

slingrunner - 10 seconds off... that's tough. Still - congrats on great time! I enjoyed reading your report - though I am not sure I agree with some of your conclusions there - but hey, we all live our own lives Smile  Two things I would mention though - totally based on your report: 1) double knot - very easy and eliminates laces issue 100%; 2) it seems like you had a perfect pacer for your service and didn't use him - the guy definitely knew what is coming at the end of the race and he ran 2:59 pace - which is exactly what you need to come under 3 hours. Other than that - seems you gave it all. I would say one more cycle and you will have it. If you have a good Boston cycle and Boston gives you a good weather (it's about time I think), it's totally realistic to run sub 3 Boston - it's a great course and not slow by all means.

weatherboy - that's a great week, I would probably be able run the mileage but not with the workouts you had! What is the target race and when?

swim - that is one sick week!

JTReeves - slow and steady, no need to hurry Smile

the steve - one of the most entertaining report I've read lately! Congrats on a great time and PR! It must be a great feeling  to break your 5 years PR!

finbad - take care of that darn plantar!

piwi - not sure what you could do about pulled calf but you should be definitely cut it short and stop running at that point.

ace - welcome! It's a nice progress in two years from 3:29 to 2:57. It took me about the same (18 months and 5 marathons) to get from 3:31 to 2:58. Not sure what you meant by saying you are slow comparing to other people here - of course you are not - just look  at Mikkey's or my training and you will see you are blazing fast!

My week:

Mon - 10.2 @8:58

Tue - 13.5 @8:29

Wed - 11.3 @8:32

Thu - 12.5 @7:44

Fri - 11.3 @8:50

Sat - 4.3 @8:13

Sun - 6.7 @9:18

Total: 70.1 miles

Planned to run an HM on Sunday to estimate fitness for upcoming marathon, but the race was cancelled on Saturday - Northern California (unfortunately Southern part has similar issue too Sad ) has some devastating fires and Air Quality Index is just abysmal - the recommendation is to stay inside and limit any outside physical activity. My wife was freaking out thinking I was going to run that HM. Anyway - like many of us having some issues with training, I now have mine too - had to run TM for the second day in a row - I do not like running TM much but the main reason is that running it feels totally different from outside running. I checked everything - the calibration is perfect but the effort is different - like I feel the same way running 9:30 on TM and 8:30 outside. So, I was thinking about running TT HM on my TM, but not sure it it gives me any information about my fitness.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

BGS - 3:11 is still a good time considering. But you didn’t seem to enjoy much or any of your training cycle so maybe it’s time to consider a different distance or sport/hobby.

SubDood - Glad you’re feeling healthy again and looking forward to your December marathon. 👍

Madison - $375 for a morning run is worth getting out of bed for! Great stuff!

Sling - Seems like you gave it everything and so close! Of course you aren’t going to retire from marathoning with a 3:00:10 PR.

Weatherboy - Massive training week and can’t wait to see how much you PR by in the half!

Swim - Your volume and paces are exceptional every week. You have the potential to be Top Dog on here. 😉

JT - Good to see the mileage build up again!

Squirrel - That was an entertaining RR and great run! It’s a shame your weeklies weren’t on here during the cycle as I find Strava too full on to take much in...but I did notice some impressive runs, plus I think you’ve had a more positive attitude and you knew the race was going to go well. Previously you probably thought that PRs are impossible once you hit 40. 😃

Finbad - I hope you get rid of the plantar soon. Btw, that was a blazing fast 4K with a blazing hangover!

Piwi - Damn, we’re too old for this! I felt a sudden pain in my hamstring right at the end of my Thursday workout and took 3 days off. I did a short easy run today and think I’ll be ok for the 10k on Sunday.

Ace - Welcome!

Cal - Hey!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

BigGuySkinny

Madison & Steve congrats on great races!  Sounds like you both nailed it.  Nice job!

Sling that has to sting to come so close.  It seems like you had a great race on a less than ideal course.  Maybe take another shot at it on an easier course?

Cal & Mikkey yes I am definitely cognizant of the fact that I did not really enjoy this cycle and definitely did not enjoy this race.  I very well may be done with marathons temporarily or permanently but am not in any rush to make that decision.  Marathon training is a big time commitment for something I didn't love doing this time and for which I fell short of my goal, so we'll see.  To be determined.

slingrunner

Thanks for the consolation guys.  It's the day after so I'm in a world of pain.  My foot is back to killing me again.  How is yours JMac? And Calbears I did doubleknot my shoelace.  I could actually feel it weakening around mile 16 or so.  I pretty much only wear these sneakers for racing.  When I had them tighter at the start they were uncomfortable.

I think I would have been more inclined to work the 2:59 pacer longer if I realized he was going to do something like a 1:29/1:30 split. But basically I just blew it.  I misjudged my fitness and thought I could safely target 2:58.  Without the wind I would have been safe, but instead of checking the weather forecast 100 times and smiling about the 4mph winds in Harrisburg, I should have used some common sense and realized there would be extra wind along the water.

The steve- Fun to read your race report of how things might have gone for me at HarrisburgSmile  Excellent job picking people off... Funny I noticed the wind, but didn't realize it was a tailwind coming back Smile.  I don't know how it didn't effect you, but that hairpin uphill turn at the end was brutal.  For most of us mere mortals it completely killed our legs...I wasn't walking, but had I not been fighting for my marathon life for my time I might have been!

This is also my first non philly marathon.  Due to philly's profile, I often struggle the most from miles 18-22, and then rebound a bit.  This marathon I was holding reasonably steady until mile 24, and then things really broke.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hey all, I'm new to this forum, but have been on RA for a little while. Spend most of my time in the 3:20 group! (and will continue to do so, dwave)

TRAITOR!  SHAME!

Also delurking to congrat Steve/Squirrel - dunno if you remember me, but I was a very new runner during the time you were most active on RWOL.  Good to see you back here!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Cal bummer about that race. Is there another you can jump into ? Or maybe a time trial outside.

Mikey our old man muscles are like cold chewing gum  Good luck on the 10k. Dont run the first km at 3.38 like I did when I was aiming for 3.50 to 3.55.

I did manage 3kms at 10 min/mile pace today so the sub 3 dream is still alive 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

steve_