is running on treadmill only for pussies (Read 1749 times)

My Achilles has been hurting for a month now so I've been limited to run very slowly, tip-toeing (well, actually, that's when it hurts so not quite literally), testing water all along... Just this Monday morning, I felt so lethargic and sluggish, I had to pack it up and turn around and come back after only 20 minutes. I knew I wasn't over-training or anything; I just needed to "snap" it and get back in a good groove. So I went to the club; now, mind you, it's probably THE best time to run outdoor in MN now with all the leaves are changing and the air is nice and cool and crispy...; and deliberately run on treadmill to "push myself along". On treadmill, you can set the pace, force yourself to run that pace, whether your mind says it likes it or not, be it faster or slower... And, if injured, you can hop off whenever it gets bad. I was a bit scared but I had a very good "tempo" effort for 45 minutes (well, including warm-up and cool-down! ;o)). Now I'm fine and no problem doing my regular 40-minute morning jog. You can manupulate your effort/duration/pattern anyway you want with treadmill. It could force you to go faster; it could force you to go slower. It's boring as hell (I still hate it because of that) but it definitely has its place. I love running in the snow. Running in cold weather--well, within reason--doesn't bother me. Some people do. The young man Lorraine is coaching is from west Africa and now he lives in Boulder, CO, and he does not run in the snowy condition. So last winter when he had a "crash training" week where he piled up 170 miles a week, a several times, he ran on treadmill. One time, he did a 20-miler at well below 6 minute pace. Not wanting to run in a snowy condition... What a puss!!!
    Mishka-old log

Hmmm... let's not become trolls ourselves. My guess is that although this comment is aimed at bone_china, you are creating a lot of collateral damage. I know a few people who are doing the C25K and are pretty darn tough, and their long run is 3 miles. In light of that, I think that it's best we just ignore trolls, rather than try to insult them.
      I agree with you, and I even thought about that when I posted. Sometimes people don't make sense...even to themselves. I hope nobody really takes what I said seriously...maybe I should have made it more clear that I wasn't serious. Or maybe not said anything at all. Sometimes people don't make sense...even to themselves.
        If your long run is 5.3 miles, does that not make you a pussy? What if it's a hard 5.3 miles?
        HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! But, Racon2r is right, it's not the matter of distance (numbers). We all out there (or indoor...), pounding the road (or belt); that's what counts. And, all the fairness, he (I assume it's a he) does seem to run around an hour quite a bit, up to 7+ miles. So good on him!
        JakeKnight

I agree with you, and I even thought about that when I posted. Sometimes people don't make sense...even to themselves. I hope nobody really takes what I said seriously...maybe I should have made it more clear that I wasn't serious. Or maybe not said anything at all. Sometimes people don't make sense...even to themselves.
          You realize, of course, you're now a pussy for taking back your comment. Go buy a treadmill. You'll fit right in.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Mishka-old log

You realize, of course, you're now a pussy for taking back your comment. Go buy a treadmill. You'll fit right in.
            Did I really take it back? I'm not really sure what I did there. I may have a future in politics. And yes, I am a pussy.
            DoppleBock

Call me what you want, but I run outdoors on roads and trails, but I also run indoors on a TM. The only place I hate to run is on a track - I run 4500 - 5000 miles per year. I would guess its 10% trails 60% roads 30% TM In my area of WI they lock all the bathrooms October 30th, so the TM also allows you to be close to a bathroom. I have run all the way to 36 miles on a TM To me Speed work on TM is preferable to the track. Best is on the roads, but DEC - MAR in WI often it is not safe.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

#artbydmcbride

Did I really take it back? I'm not really sure what I did there. I may have a future in politics. And yes, I am a pussy.
                I thought you were a fluffy bunny.

Runners run

Roses Revenge

I dunno. Once I get through this weekend (4 th marathon in 6 months) I'm planning to schedule some treadmill time to figure out pacing. I know what my goal is for 2009/2010 but don't know what it feels like. If I use the treadmill, I can set it for whatever pace I want to try out and learn from that.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I've done incline repeats on a treadmill that resulted in me dry-heaving. Wow, just think what I could've done if I hadn't been such a pussy and run them outdoors instead -- maybe I might have actually heaved up chunks.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Prince of Fatness

Yes, and now it's not nearly as funny as it used to be.

Not at it at all. 

mikeymike

I want a treadmill. I'd run doubles every day if I had one.

Runners run

Pussy!
                          Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
                          Mishka-old log

Pussy! (He needed one for his other run)
                            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Pussy! (He needed one for his other run)
                              I'm thinking that Mikey would do one treadmill run per day, along with one outdoor run, to make up his doubles. So you really need to take that one back, Mishka.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mikeymike

If Mishka takes that one back he's a pussy.

Runners run