2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dark-UMD for me. I would take the night flight cause movement the morning after sleeping is always pretty bad for me.

I'm considering.  One hesitation is that I'm flying into BWI airport, which is much closer to Baltimore then DC, and about an hour from my house.  I'm concerned about doing that long a drive after midnight on the same day I've run a marathon.

In the past, I've taken the early morning flight, and left Duluth at about 1:30 am to drive down to MSP.  But last year I just stayed overnight in a cheap hotel outside MSP.  That's honestly sounding like the safest choice from the not-driving-while-exhausted standpoint.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DW: Nice week and good scheduling for your 2nd shot, that works out really well training and race-wise. I am seriously considering that 10-miler. Looks like I could just drive up there the morning of; it's about a 2h 15min drive and as I recall the 10 miler starts fairly late (9AM?). Most importantly it looks like the course is flat. I wish I could figure out how to get that strava route they link to for the course to show as an elevation profile.

2:52:16 (2018)

Ian5

DW-Good timing for the jab.

Better week this week including my first decent longer run today,felt in control and took it quite easy.

Weekly for period: From: 03/22/2021 To 03/28/2021

Date Name Distance
        in mi
        Duration Avg Pace
        per mi
        Elevation Gain
        in ft
        03/23/2021 Morning Run 8.27 01:04:45 07:50 318
        03/25/2021 Warm up 1.46 00:10:59 07:31 23
        03/25/2021 10@ current HM pace( I think) 10.01 01:08:24 06:50 361
        03/27/2021 Afternoon Run 8.82 01:11:23 08:06 384
        03/28/2021 Afternoon Run 18.28 02:32:20 08:20 738

Total distance: 46.84mi

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW: Nice week and good scheduling for your 2nd shot, that works out really well training and race-wise. I am seriously considering that 10-miler. Looks like I could just drive up there the morning of; it's about a 2h 15min drive and as I recall the 10 miler starts fairly late (9AM?). Most importantly it looks like the course is flat. I wish I could figure out how to get that strava route they link to for the course to show as an elevation profile.

Thanks - I was pretty excited to pull it off.  Around here, there are two options for getting a second dose - either the county (where I got my first dose) or the local CVS pharmacy.  The county is easier to book, but only CVS has weekend appointments.  I managed to get online at just the right time on a Sunday morning two weeks ago and saw a 10 am slot open for Easter morning, and grabbed it.

Even better, my sig other gets his second shot this coming Wednesday morning.  So... if he reacts, I can take care of him/cover the household stuff, and then take off on Friday when he is hopefully back in action.  Then he can baby me next week if needed.

(we have a cat that needs to be medicated daily, so it's important to me that we're both not dealing with flu-like malaise at the same time.)

Yup - the 10 miler starts at 9 am.  I'm a bit worried about that from a heat/humidity perspective, but a) it's a tune-up for me, not a PR attempt and b) 10 miles is much easier in the heat and humidity than a half.

The website describes the 10 miler as "fast." (of course, sometimes race orgs exaggerate)  I did do some google map viewing to confirm that it's paved, given that it's on a trail that apparently has a lot of gravel sections.  But looks all paved to me.

Ian - 10 miles at HM pace is hard core.  Brutal.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

JT:  Congrats on shot #1, and not having a reaction to it.  I’m hoping to get the first one this week.  Nice week, and another solid LR for you.

Dwave:. Thanks, it’s nice to feel like things might be turning around a bit for me.  Speaking of consistency, you set the consistency bar pretty high, so I’ve got a ways to go.  Good timing on the shot #2.

dps:  Yeah, I’m in Moorhead, just across the river from Fargo.  Today was pretty nice...upper 40s.  Tomorrow will be close to 70, but with 30+ mph winds gusting to around 45-50.  (I love that we get warnings on the news about securing your patio furniture.)  Then a front comes through Monday afternoon, the wind shifts, and it will be in the 10s by Tuesday night.  Then back up to close to 80 for Easter weekend.

Ian:  Good week, and I agree that 10 @ HMP is brutal!

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Same OMR down here.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac, not to sound obsessive, but for your NYC taper you did 0 7 7* 5 0 3 as you already noted, but for CIM you did 8 7* 7 5 0 3. The latter was on higher mileage so you ran Monday instead of taking it off, but the 3 x 1 workout was on Tuesday whereas for NYC it was on Wednesday. I'm thinking I'd like to do it Tuesday and have it a bit further removed from race day, so do something like 0 7* 7 5 0 3. Any thoughts? Did you move it to Tuesday for your CIM taper for a specific reason?

Sorry for the late reply, was driving back from CO (I love driving but 3 straight days of that was rough). Anyway, I've spent HOURS on tapers, you can't top my obsessiveness with it 

I've gone back and forth on the last workout. On one hand, I believe the main theme of tapers is "keep your routine, but reduce everything." That lends itself to the last workout being 4 days prior, as every single week in my marathon I had either 2 or 3 easy days between workouts. OTOH, you don't need multiple easy days after just a 90 minute long run 7 days prior and one extra easy day between is fine (ie you don't need 2 easy/off days)

Ultimately, for NYC, I picked the extra easy day as it got awkward with no rest day after my last 13 mile run. If you get the Monday rest, then going right to a workout didn't make sense. I've NEVER done a workout a day after a rest day in all of my cycles, so that was a complete change. I always do workouts after an easy run. So that to me felt like the bigger change in my routine, and therefore for NYC since I wanted a day off, I had to push the workout to Wednesday.I try to follow the mantra that workouts are meant to be run on legs that have just ran the day before.

Ultimately, you need to decide based in your own training. Have you ever done a workout day after a day completely off? If so, then your plan makes sense. If not, I would do the workout Wednesday.

As you now see, it was obsessive 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

cinnamon girl

M: 70 min easy - too windy so took to the treadmill
                  T: 8 mi slow windy hilly (8:32)
                  W: " " " " (8:19)
                  T: " " " "  (8:12)
                  F: 6 mi " " " (8:36)
                  S: 5 mi slow (8:37)
                  S: 15 mi on flat (7:40) with 2nd half faster than 1st

I didn't post last couple of weeks because they were shit due to working nights and then got the 2nd Covid dose which on top of work stress wiped me out. I did get a fartlek hill workout in during the week of night shift and then just before 2nd vaccine dose I did 5 x 60 sec, 5 x 30 sec so I did get a couple mini workouts in but not many miles. This week was about making sure I recover from non-running-related stuff. I had kind of wanted to beat the sun and wind today by starting earlier but sleep is more important right now and I didn't want to set my alarm clock and I slept 11 hrs (!).  Blackout curtains are awesome. Anyways, I am excited because I am focusing my efforts on trying to beat insomnia that I've had going on for several years now.

JT: I slept 14 hours (!) the night after the 1st dose - malaise is a thing with these. After the 2nd my general fatigue lasted several days. I didn't feel anything other than just tired. Well I had some nausea and mild headache on/off as well after 2nd but nothing to really complain about. I won't give any advice for these critical next two weeks because you run higher mileage - that's out of my scope! I hope you feel free to take the floor these next two weeks! We are here for you 

Ian: nice 10 mile and long run for sure. Where are you getting that 6:50 is your HMP?

I like to see your training and weeks DPS so I hope you're still able to find time now and then to post.

Nice week and good miles OMR   

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Jmac  - so how much sleep have you lost over the proper taper.... (teasing you).  That drive from Colorado to NYC sounds tough - did you take 70 or 80 across?

Cinnamon - I'm glad you were able to get some well-deserved rest.  Good luck with the insomnia - I'm sure having to mix night shifts in doesn't help at all.

OMR - ditto with the winds here. Walked outside to go to the pool this morning and noted that our neighbor had failed to heed the advice about bringing lawn furniture in - bits of lawn furniture were now in their driveway.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Cinnamon-negative split long runs are thr best.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Ian5

Jmac-Just had a look at that drive,some going that to be fair,go the length of the UK twice for the same miles.

Cinnamon-No idea really,I just thought it felt about HM pace,hopefully in a race it would usually be a bit faster.

DW: I signed up for the Mohawk 10 miler. It will be great to meet up there! I figure I should be able to recover from the marathon and get back into racing shape by then. Good that you and your sig other are staggered with the 2nd dose; it definitely sounds like that's the one that knocks people out. My wife and I are just a day apart for 2nd dose but our son can manage all the animals if we're both incapacitated.

JMac: Thanks for the excellent response; that makes sense. I also always do my workout after an easy day. Monday always off, Tuesday always an easy 8-10, and Wednesday is always my workout. So I'll stick with that routine and put the final 3 x 1 workout on Wednesday. Problem solved!

Cinnamon: Glad you are back and that you are over that 2nd dose. Must have been brutal with the nightshift schedule! Sorry to hear you are dealing with insomnia. I also struggle with that; have since college. The best thing I've found for it is meditation which I started about 2 years ago. I hope you can find a way to get over it.  Strong looking week; I agree with DPS the negative split long runs are great. What's up with the extreme windy weather lately?? It's windy AF here today and seems like every couple days we have this; sounds like it is all over the country from what you and others are posting here.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - I took 80 all the way across. I've seen enough barren cornfields to last a lifetime.

JT - Glad I could help. I can't say this enough: do not run the miles too fast and take the double rest. I've seen way too many people run that workout too fast with too little rest, say "whoops I guess I'm ready to go!" and then do poorly race day. LT pace you've been running those 3x2 mile workouts at, and 2:15-2:30 walking rest.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JMac and darkwave are the King and Queen when it comes to marathon advice. 👍

dps - That 4 week 10k block was massive and I think you’ve got a great chance of beating your dads time at Grandma’s!

OMR - Another solid week with decent pace which confirms that the elliptical is one of the best crosstraining for running!

JT - Fantastic final week before taper!  (but can’t believe JMac didn’t tell you off for running a 20miler 2 weeks out )

Ian - Great tempo and LR....you’re running Milton Keynes soon?  I looked into that race this time last year when London got cancelled as it’s a Boston approved certified course. Obviously things changed after that.

Cinnamon - Good to see you back. 👍

My week...

Mon - 5.3 @ 9:09

Tue - 6.5 (5000m TT in 19:11)

Thur - 15 @ 8:20

Fri - 5 @ 8:02

Sun - 10.1 @ 8:27

Total - 42

Felt a bit rough over the weekend and moved my LR to today.

I got an update email today from RunFest to say that they’re having positive discussions with Richmond council, but they won’t give unequivocal permission until closer to event day in case there is a 2nd covid wave in Richmond Borough. Give me fucking strength.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Ian5

Mikkey-Yes hopefully on Bank Holiday Monday,they seem pretty confident now,just awaiting council sign off this week.I'm more excited to see my wife do her debut,she was meant to do barca last year but it got called off a week before but she has continued fully training.