2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Nice Job DW! Also good to see that your cross training is alive and well.  There may be a post marathon get together at a buddy's place in Duluth if you want a beer post marathon.  I'll let you know the details if it happens.

Looks like pretty steady milage for most of the month OMR.

Wow, Mikkey! Getting 70+ the hard way.  Those are two monster runs this week.

JT-Always the second week of taper for my HR to drop.  Takes a while for the body to actually recover from previous mileage.

Cinnamon- 88 Degrees...oof....Summer is here i guess.

Me:

Good week.  Got a bit lost on the LR and figured i would be long.  Slowed down at the end instead of picking up cause i was unsure if i was going to be .5 long (this was the case) or 2.5 miles long and didn't want to completely crash as it was 78 degrees out and my first real warm run.

Tuesday: 6x200m on/off at 35 sec, 800m jog,  8x200m with 100m off at 38 sec....ran the last rep hard but not all out.

Felt pretty good. In control. 41° 20-25 mph cross wind. Hit the last one hard but not all out

36 35 35 35 34 36
    38 37 38 39 38 38 38 33

Friday:  6x1 mile w/ jog lap back to mile line

5:44 5:42 5:42 /5:43 5:42 5:32

Felt really fit throughout. Lactic half way through 5th mile. Finished 6 with good form and feeling smooth but hard effort. 25mph wind on back straight which sucked by the end. Really messed with my sense of pace cause I felt so slow on back and fast on home stretch but the pace kept pretty even at 43 sec/200m

18.6 mile Long run on Sunday.  78 degrees over rolling hills with no fuel.  Mostly around 7 to 7:10 until the end.

92.1 on the week with the rest as easy miles

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

We need to big up the females on this thread!.....darkwave and cinnamon have both won Moose Mugs. ❤️👍

I think I missed the cinammon glory days, which is a shame. Have seen darkwaves best and hope to see cinammons success again 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Oh....and I got my first Pfizer jab on Friday after the 6x1 mile.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

cinnamon girl

DPS: you got lost? You ran a new route? And yeah it's like summer is here overnight - the winds blew it in. I'm not used to the temps either - but I was smart for a change and brought water for this morning's run. One thing I never expect water fountains to be turned on ever again.

Thanks JT - one thing I've read about running at this higher altitude is that longer recoveries might be needed. 4300ft isn't high altitude by any stretch but it's still noticeable - I don't care what anyone says - lol. After the 1st 4 I debated about switching to 2 min recoveries but I only had 4 left so I stuck it out. In reality - these were more like 90 sec vs 2 min as the ones where I started too fast I was struggling to hold on the last 30 sec!

Thanks Mikkey   2012 Houston, 2015 LA, 2016 NYC, 2019 Vancouver. And I don't plan on being done yet. I only need a 3:10 in 2021. Oh, and all in NB 1400s, and I just got a fresh pair this week 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

When I headed north I turned west 1 road too late. I thought I would be back at 17.8 and I'd do a loop around the block. Then I realized I thought might be close to 20 total.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

cinnamon girl

DPS: I see Twin Cities registration opens this week with limited numbers which is good to see. I feel I need to look at options to an international race for the fall.

Thanks JMac - I have hope to get back feeling good, strong, and in shape. If I would run MPW like you suggest, that would be a good start!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I think I missed the cinammon glory days, which is a shame. Have seen darkwaves best and hope to see cinammons success again 

She’s very modest and and doesn't bother with Strava.  Her training always looks consistent and she’ll run another MM time in her next marathon. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I don’t post on Strava anymore...but my log on here is open.

Last year during lockdown showed how much people are prepared to cheat during a virtual race....is it ok to pause your watch?  Another guy who I used to respect (squirrel) claimed a 10k PR on a dodgy track and it was obvious that it wasn’t a true 10k. Fuck off.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

DPS: Nice week and great 6 x 1 mi session, especially in the strong winds. Are you planning on racing a 10k or 5k before Grandma's?

Cinnamon: 4300 feet is definitely altitude in my opinion! I remember going to Boulder CO many years ago and getting a headache and that was 5000 ft; pretty close to what you have. Since you are living at that elevation you should get a boost if you race at sea level. No such thing for me living at a whopping 200 ft above sea level!

Mikkey: He pulled that for a 10k as well? I recall a 5k race that was short that he was boasting about as an all time PR or something. No shame, no humility. 

2:52:16 (2018)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Cinnamon-Planning on doing the 10 mile assuming they let the USATF track clubs bypass the lottery as they usually do.

JT-10k on the April 24th. It is being ran on the running path rather than the road so it is not the certified course but will be bit of a rust buster. I get vaccine jab 2 the day before the race so we will see how it goes  I have a 1/2 lined up ~28 days out from grandma's

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks Mikkey   2012 Houston, 2015 LA, 2016 NYC, 2019 Vancouver. And I don't plan on being done yet. I only need a 3:10 in 2021. Oh, and all in NB 1400s, and I just got a fresh pair this week 

As I recall, you've run some pretty fast short races also - so consistent excellence across all distances.

Nice Job DW! Also good to see that your cross training is alive and well.  There may be a post marathon get together at a buddy's place in Duluth if you want a beer post marathon.  I'll let you know the details if it happens.

Thanks - I am not a beer drinker, but depending on where we are in the pandemic, I would be open to some post-race socializing.  My flight back from MSP is not until 9 am on Sunday, so I have time.

Nice week with some good work-outs, and congrats on the first shot!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey: He pulled that for a 10k as well? I recall a 5k race that was short that he was boasting about as an all time PR or something. No shame, no humility. 

Was going to say the exact same thing. I saw that 5K on Strava that was like 3.06 or something ridiculous short. It did make me lose a little respect, but I thought I was just being harsh because I'm a little crazy with only running my TTs on certified courses. Glad others felt the same.

Strava is good for the banter, not the kudos. Piwi ribs me all the time for my slow running. I deserve it 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Unpopular opinion: is Strava/Garmin really an accurate measure?  I wouldn't assume someone's time trial PR was questionable based just on the distance on Strava, without knowing more.

FWIW, I know people whose Garmins consistently measure short on certified courses.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Unpopular opinion: is Strava/Garmin really an accurate measure?  I wouldn't assume someone's time trial PR was questionable based just on the distance on Strava, without knowing more.

FWIW, I know people whose Garmins consistently measure short on certified courses.

I just found the race. Not a single person running "with" him measured 3.11 or longer. If my Garmin shows up short on a non certified course, the first thing I would do is check others GPS and if it doesn't add up, I'm not counting it.

I can't remember which race you did 2 or 3 years ago DW where they botched the turnaround point. Even in that one, I remember a few people showing long. When nobody shows long, it's a very short course.

I'd be happy if any of our races here showed to be not short . My last 5k was about 4.95kms. Its a bitch when you put in the effort for it not to count.

Jmac I love ribbing you on Strava knowing that you are in a totally different class and at any moment could go back to beast mode 

I made a dick of myself suggesting to a mate on strava to label his casual bike rides correctly after getting on the odd leaderboard for running. I must take this too seriously 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "