Injinji fans (Read 932 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Which Injinji socks are better, the original sock or the light-weight liner that's meant to be worn under another sock? 

I'm looking specifically for blister protection for my toes on runs of 20+.  I don't normally have any blister problems on shorter runs, but marathons or 20+ mile runs tend to beat the heck out of my middle and pinky toes, especially if there are downhills involved.  This year I've begun wrapping my toes with Kinesio tape before LRs, which helps some, but I have a hilly 50K coming up that has "Surrender Your Toenails" written all over it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm a big fan of the original ones. 

I had major blister problems training for my 1st marathon, and tried everything; all kinds of socks, tape, lambs wool, blister pads, powder, you name it- I tried it. The only thing that worked for me were the regular Injinji  micro socks.

I've never tried the one that's supposed to go under another sock. But I did try a double layer sock from a different company, and they just made my feet feel like they were sliding around in my shoes. I couldn't stand it.

The Injinji's feel weird when you first put them on, but you'll forget about it after a few minutes. They're light and breathable- and they last forever.

Good luck in the 50K!

I have issues with blisters on my little pinky toes and the Injinji socks have greatly improved the issue.  In fact, I won't go on a trail run over maybe 10 miles without them.  I have still managed on some really long races to get blisters under some of my toenails and lose part or all of the nail but even that is infrequent since I started using the Injinjis.

I've never tried the sock liner either, but I would expect exactly what breebauer described.

Roses Revenge

I've always used the originals, but will try the thinner liner type next time I buy some. 

I had issues with the 4th and 5th toes on both feet on anything over about 10 miles until I started wearing Injinjis.  I also had hot spots on the balls of my feet with longer distances. This summer I've started wearing Smart Wool socks over the Injinjis and have not had any blisters or hot spots while doing so.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

I find them uncomfortable to the extent of almost painful. I am not sure why they feel that way, but it definitely sucks. I think the toes may be too narrow for me.

under a rock

I love all my injinjis. I find for longer runs I get blisters if I just use my regular ones. For 10- 15 miles I've done fine with my Nuwool injinjis. For longer runs I have found I love the liner with a thin wool sock over it. I made sure the oversock was generous in the toe so I wouldn't lose my wiggle room. Haven't had a blister on any of my long runs since switching to the liners plus a wool oversock, and some of my runs have been very hot and humid.

I have the liner type actually, purchased for backpacking. They work extremely well in that capacity under another pair of socks, and they definitely saved my feet despite a hot spot on a pretty trip a few weeks ago. Running...well I don't know. The farthest I've done wearing them (and for running I just wear them, no sock over them) is 10 miles. I don't really get blisters anyway with tech socks and my shoes at distances like that, and I certainly didn't have any more problems with them than normal.

They definitely are awesome..I was going to wear them today actually, if only I could fine the left one...maybe that's a good excuse to go buy some new ones while I search the laundry room!

~J

xhristopher

I recently got a pair of of the Injinji "performance" socks but haven't tried them on a long run yet. Walking around the house in them was unique but I forgot all about them on the run and, when I took my shoes off, I was momentarily surprised by them and my hobbit feet. It did seem as if my feet were a little warmer (just my feeling) than they would have been in a similar thickness sock. Perhaps this will be nice in the cooler months.

Having already surrendered toenails to running and hiking I'm not sure these socks would have made a difference. I've lost mine from not keeping them short and letting them hammer the front of the shoes on long runs, downhills, or very rugged trail runs. Once I realized my feet swell on these long runs I started buying my running shoes a little bigger. This and keeping a closer eye on the length of the nails has once again given me a full set of nails.

You were wondering about trail shoes. Perhaps it might be worth it to look at something with an ample toe box. Either I'm completely wrong or it's worth exploring. I would spring for a new pair of shoes vs. trashing my feet.

Marathon Maniac #957

You were wondering about trail shoes. Perhaps it might be worth it to look at something with an ample toe box. Either I'm completely wrong or it's worth exploring. I would spring for a new pair of shoes vs. trashing my feet.

I do plan on looking at some trail shoes this weekend, although I'm still debating.  I don't know how much time I'll have to break in a new brand of shoe to see how they affect my feet, since my opportunities to run on trails are minimal at the moment.  I run before sun-up, in the dark.  Even if I had time to drive to somewhere with trails before work, I wouldn't be able to see to run them, and my weekends are currently packed with family stuff and kids' sports activities.  One run/week on trails is possible, but that might not be enough to see how a shoe is going to work for a 50k distance.  Still, I'm going to look  at some.

Your advice about the toe box and shoe size is well-taken.  I wear my running shoes a full size bigger than my street shoes and the shoe I wear (Saucony Rides) have a very wide toebox.  My problem with toenail loss only occurs in runs of 20+ miles, and I think it's not from hitting the end of the shoe, so much as the TOP of the shoe.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, I have now tried both pairs of Injinji socks on LRs of 20+ miles.

My opinion - AWESOME!  This is the first that I have been able to run 20+ miles without a single blister!

Of the two different kinds I bought, I think the "Original Injinji" socks are better.  The thinner "Injinji Liner" socks, worn with another sock over them, still did the job (i.e. no blisters under my toenails), but after one 23 mile run, they seem to be already shredding a little.  Doesn't look like that pair will make it through many runs, and I don't really like wearing two layers of socks.

These will now be a must for any marathon or ultra I run.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've just used the Injinji liners for two runs (in VFFs).  They feel great, and I can see how they'd help with blister issues, but I worry about my toenails cutting through.  Better keep 'em filed down.

Marathon Maniac #957

The original Injinji socks are thicker than the liners, and look to be more long-lasting, more like regular socks.

I'm looking specifically for blister protection for my toes on runs of 20+.

I have not had a blister since I got on the zoomy train and started wearing smartwools.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Marathon Maniac #957

I have a pair of smartwool socks that I use in the winter, but my middle toes still take a beating with them, given a long enough run.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I'm an Injiniji liner fan.

The regular Injinjis are about 2-3 times the size of the liners and much, much thicker. Their oversized nature means that even the smallest size has a sloppy fit for some of my toes. And, it seems to me that the thicker material would force one's toes to splay - potentially making a cramped toebox effectively smaller.

The liners, on the other foot, stretch to fit - no excess material waiting to cause blisters or other issues.

And, I've found them to be surprisingly durable - so far. I wore the same pair throughout my last 100-mile race (in traditional running shoes) - no blisters (save for an underlapping pinky toe that is beyond help) and the socks are still in fine condition.

The liners also work well with all of my FiveFingers (I have four different models) - thin enough to be worn comfortably, even though I usually go barefoot (and would have thought the shoes too close a fit).

That said... I'd love it if Drymax would make toesocks out of their ultra-thin material...

Liz

pace sera, sera