Running in Mud? (Read 987 times)

npaden

Okay, we got some good rain today and already had some over the weekend so our roads are going to be pretty muddy in the morning on my planned 6 mile run.  I live 2 miles from pavement so the options are spending 10 minutes driving through mud getting to pavement, then running on pavement and coming home, or I'm thinking about just changing it to a 4 mile run and running in the mud.

Other than being cautious and trying not to fall down and the expectation that my shoes are going to pick up a ton of mud and weigh a lot more, any tips or tricks to running in the mud?

Should I just skip it and drive to pavement instead?

I have a pair of shoes that is nearing the end of their estimated useful mileage that would be perfect for the occasion.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

xor

There are different kinds of mud.  If it is the clay kind, this is way gnarlier than plain ol' mud.  It is oddly sticky and super slippery at the same time.  It will clog your shoes and make you feel like you are carrying 10 pound weights on your feet... while also making you slip and slide.

But mud running can be great fun.

You should do it just for the different experience.  Maybe you will like it, and maybe you won't... but you will look at it after you finished and say, "yes, I did that."

And to paraphrase Drago... if you fall, you fall.  It's mud, not a tub of acid.

If there's enough crushed gravel on your road, it shouldn't be too bad.
        AnneCA

We have clay mud here.  I advise taking extra care to tie your laces tightly to lower the possibility of the mud sucking your shoes off (note that I did not say "eliminate the possibility").  And lace all the way through to the hole closest to your ankle if you don't already.

We have clay mud here.  I advise taking extra care to tie your laces tightly to lower the possibility of the mud sucking your shoes off (note that I did not say "eliminate the possibility").  And lace all the way through to the hole closest to your ankle if you don't already.

In that case, I'd be driving to pavement!

Feeling the growl again

It really depends on the mud.  MI or IN mud, no problem, just take shorter strides to reduce the risk of slipping and losing your balance.  Central/eastern MT mud, give up and stay home, you can't run with 30lbs on each foot.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

npaden

Here's my drive home. It is slick and sticks but really not too bad. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos It will be better in the morning but still slick in spots.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

That looks an awful lot like where I live.
                  npaden

It really depends on the mud.  MI or IN mud, no problem, just take shorter strides to reduce the risk of slipping and losing your balance.  Central/eastern MT mud, give up and stay home, you can't run with 30lbs on each foot.

It's not eastern Montana gumbo for sure, but 4 wheel drive is more of a necessity than a luxury sometimes. Wife thinks I'm crazy and risking injury with no real benefit by running in it vs. just getting up earlier and driving to pavement.

Feeling the growl again

It's not eastern Montana gumbo for sure, but 4 wheel drive is more of a necessity than a luxury sometimes. Wife thinks I'm crazy and risking injury with no real benefit by running in it vs. just getting up earlier and driving to pavement.

Doesn't look so bad from the pic.  Yeah, gumbo, that's what they called it....we got hit by a fast-moving torrential downpour last season when we were about 1/4 mile from the truck.  We ran like hell but given the terrain there was no way we'd make it.  Things went from fine to being afraid we'd slide down the mountain from top to bottom in about 20 seconds, I could not believe it.  Literally 20lbs on each foot.  We ended up spending ~18hrs straight stranded in the truck....good thing I have the foresight to drag the cooler within reach before we were sequestered.  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

xor

You should dig some holes, build some obstacles, and have a line or ring of fire.  Then sell it to others as a Water Buffalo Survivor Whatapotamus Supreme Mud Run.

YOU WILL MAKE MILLIONS

Best Present Ever

If it was the kind of mud we have here in Virginia, red clay mud, no way I'd run miles on it.  It sucks off your shoes and is nearly impossible to stay upright on.  I don't mind being wet and dirty, but I really hate that kind of mud.  

an amazing likeness

I would drive to somewhere to get a quality run in. Beyond the turned ankle and hassles of mud, there's a lot of risk of hamstring tweaks on bad footing -- same as running in fresh snow, the lack of push-off can really do damage.

UPS and FedEx must dread you...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

You should dig some holes, build some obstacles, and have a line or ring of fire.  Then sell it to others as a Water Buffalo Survivor Whatapotamus Supreme Mud Run.

YOU WILL MAKE MILLIONS

It must have some form of extreme in the name, preferably using the eye catching buzzword of X-treme.

perhaps make them crawl under some live cattle fencing.  Then add the invented word Shox! (don't forget the exclaimation point).