How much should a 5K hurt (Read 2678 times)

I ask because as I seem to be at the limit at each of my 5K races, yet taking 30+ seconds of my PR at each of my last 3 races.  Not sure how long this can continue, but it feels good right now. 

The race itself was not painful, but I feel like I can't run any faster during the race, but obvoiusly I can in a couple of weeks.  Was a bit sore after the latest race, but no residual pain the next day, which leads me to believe I could have run it faster.

It could just be my horrible pacing where I went out at 7:35 first mile, and then had a 8:20 second mile and 7:50 paced  3rd mile, but with the hills on that course, can't really say that's the cause.

jeffdonahue

How long have you been running.  When I first started running I did my frist 5K on NO training in just over 30 minutes.  After 3 months of not a lot of running but probably 2-3 miles 3 times a week I dropped that to 25 minutes.  After another month or so of some consistent training I was down to 24 minutes.

After that, the times didnt drop as quickly but you can see some real big gains when you first get started.

mikeymike

I couldn't tell you.

My brain releases a hormone in the hours after the finish that causes me to forget how much it hurt, otherwise I'd never run another one.  It's like childbirth that way, or so I'm told.  I've never given birth but I've been a close witness several times.

Runners run

How long have you been running.  When I first started running I did my frist 5K on NO training in just over 30 minutes.  After 3 months of not a lot of running but probably 2-3 miles 3 times a week I dropped that to 25 minutes.  After another month or so of some consistent training I was down to 24 minutes.

After that, the times didnt drop as quickly but you can see some real big gains when you first get started.

Jeff, I've been running for about 3 years now, I ran my first 5K in 2 years in May this year and yes I took almost 3 minutes off my 5K from 2 years ago (on same course and similar conditions).  I am talking about the subsequent 2 races in hotter , hillier conditions.

Ofcourse my times are slow enough that 30 seconds off the current time is not that big percentage wise. 

I am not complaining, just wondring if I am too chicken during the race itself.

I couldn't tell you.

My brain releases a hormone in the hours after the finish that causes me to forget how much it hurt, otherwise I'd never run another one.  It's like childbirth that way, or so I'm told.  I've never given birth but I've been a close witness several times.

I dont know about that Mikey .... I have hurt a bit last few 5ks but after 20 or so minutes (less for you speedsters) its is over and most is all back to relative normal after 2 - 3 minutes of oxegen recovery. 

I like  you have witnessed a few births up close and I am man enough to say ... "No way in hell I would even try that once ... Yet alone every weekend!"

They always said the world would be much smaller population if men gave birth as never would be more than 1 child per family.

MTA ----

HMH -  Do you feel like your lungs are going to bust for about 1.5 miles? Well maybe not going fast enough ... Or I am trying to go too fast??

Those 30 sec jumps are probably more you getting used to the race and confident in your abilties versus actual effects of training in that short period of time. 

Keep up the good work.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

I ask because as I seem to be at the limit at each of my 5K races, yet taking 30+ seconds of my PR at each of my last 3 races.  Not sure how long this can continue, but it feels good right now. 

The race itself was not painful, but I feel like I can't run any faster during the race, but obvoiusly I can in a couple of weeks.  Was a bit sore after the latest race, but no residual pain the next day, which leads me to believe I could have run it faster.

It could just be my horrible pacing where I went out at 7:35 first mile, and then had a 8:20 second mile and 7:50 paced  3rd mile, but with the hills on that course, can't really say that's the cause.

I don't know that this is "horrible" pacing at all.  

I think 5K's should hurt a lot.  Mine did.  It was awesome.  I see that you run for  two really noble reasons - your kids.  I wouldn't get all wound up about stuff like that.  You might start  hating it and quit.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I am not complaining, just wondring if I am too chicken during the race itself.

I would say probably yes.  Anyone who can say "The race itself was not painful" most likely did not run a hard 5k.  Call it a hard tempo run or something.  But not a quality race effort. 

You should feel at mile 2 like you don't know if you can keep it up much longer.  And then hold the pace.  Your legs and lungs should be screaming at you to stop by the time you reach mile 3.  You should then accelerate to the finish. 

I'd say hold that 7:35 or die (not really die but mostly die) trying.  Then you'll know if you pushed it enough.  If you end up almost dead but finish then you did it right.  Almost dead but dnf, then maybe 7:35 was a tad fast after all. 

Most likely you need to find somone between mile 1 and mile 2 that looks strong and do anything you can to hang onto their coat tails and let them pull you in to a strong last half of the race.  It is too easy to slow down half way into a 5k and feel like you ran as fast as you could.  You didn't.  I know because I get lazy sometimes and do the same. 

mikeymike

By the way Shashi, you always feel like you could have run faster--like if you just sucked it up you could push harder.  It's rarely the case.  It takes a few 5k's to figure out exactly how hard you can push yourself and how to pace a 5k and your times might drop a bunch in those first few tries--like yours have.  But eventually your times level off and you still have that nagging sense that you didn't push hard enough.  I guess that's what keeps us coming back.

Runners run

I aim for: 

This is hard but not terrible at mile 1.

I really wish I could stop at the halfway point.

What the heck am I doing, I hate this, really really hate this, at mile 2.

If I have a heart attack and die I won't have to finish this stupid race at mile 2.5.

I am angry if my HRM shows anything less than 1 beat off Max heart rate at mile 2.75.

If at the end I am physicially capiable of tearing the tag from my bib I didn't run hard enough.

I usually end up running pretty even splits.  The thing that improved my 5k the most was realizing how much is left when you feel like you really really need to let up.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

mikeymike

And yeah, I agree with Doug.  5k's run all out hurt like a motherf'er.  Like you can't even believe it.

At mile 1 I usually have a small panic attack like, wtf am I doing?? but now I've done enough of them that I can anticiapat this and talk myself through it.  The 2nd mile takes the most concentration because you still feel like there's so far to go and you can't see how it's possible.  By the time you hit the 2nd mile marker your so far committed it doesn't matter anymore.  Your entire body is revolting and you kind of don't care.  You figure either you'll hold it together to the finish or you'll explode in a bloody, greasy mess all over the street but either way the hurt will be over.

The first 2-5 seconds after you cross the finish of a 5k are some of the most painful of your life as the wave of burning nauseous pain envelopes you.  But it gets better very quickly as the oxygen makes its way into your bloodstream.  The weirdest thing of all is that 2 minutes later you feel almost like nothing happened, maybe your arms and legs are still a bit "heavy" but that's about it.

Runners run

I aim for: 

This is hard but not terrible at mile 1.

I really wish I could stop at the halfway point.

What the heck am I doing, I hate this, really really hate this, at mile 2.

If I have a heart attack and die I won't have to finish this stupid race at mile 2.5.

I am angry if my HRM shows anything less than 1 beat off Max heart rate at mile 2.75.

If at the end I am physicially capiable of tearing the tag from my bib I didn't run hard enough.

I usually end up running pretty even splits.  The thing that improved my 5k the most was realizing how much is left when you feel like you really really need to let up.

LOL. My thoughts exactly. What's hard is when you try to race a 10K the same way and then realize you're only halfway done. 

The thing that improved my 5k the most was realizing how much is left when you feel like you really really need to let up.

I agree.  I think people relatively new to running 5k races often have little idea what they are capable of if they are willing to pay the price. 

I just try and remember that racing pain is the gateway to a good performance.  Welcome it as your friend.  You'll become close friends over the final 10 minutes but your new buddy will shave time off your PR.  Then your can toast your good friend after the race with a well deserved beer. 

flovesparko

I would say probably yes.  Anyone who can say "The race itself was not painful" most likely did not run a hard 5k.  Call it a hard tempo run or something.  But not a quality race effort. 

You should feel at mile 2 like you don't know if you can keep it up much longer.  And then hold the pace.  Your legs and lungs should be screaming at you to stop by the time you reach mile 3.  You should then accelerate to the finish.  

Most likely you need to find somone between mile 1 and mile 2 that looks strong and do anything you can to hang onto their coat tails and let them pull you in to a strong last half of the race.  It is too easy to slow down half way into a 5k and feel like you ran as fast as you could.  You didn't.  I know because I get lazy sometimes and do the same. 

I agree with Doug B, this is how I feel during a race and also what I try to do in a race.  This past weekend  I raced a 5K identical to above.  I was able to find two college kids to follow during the race. Had they not been there, I think I would have slowed up a bit because I felt like quitting at mile 2.   

jeffdonahue

I did see a great T-shirt once that said:

"If I'm still standing at the end of the race, then hit me over the head with a stick and knock me down because I didnt run hard enough."

Thanks guys, I was nowhere close to what Mikey and dgrosenberger say I should feel.  I guess I'll do more of these 5K over this summer until I am not imporving anymore, and find that feeling like death pace. 

I think I found a good runner who runs about 22:30-23:00 5K's I'll try and hang with him as long as I can the next race and see if I can achieve that state by mile 2

The only problem is I am nervous at each race now to see if I can beat my time from last race, and my mileage is suffering because saturday is my long run day.