Seriously? and it doesn't come with pedals?? (Read 1016 times)

Runner

The money spent is on comfort and often not on performance.  If you pay more for carbon it is for two things, and comfort over alum. is the main concern.  Secondly, performance of some all. frames will be better than Carbon ones.  With bikes there is a small margin of profit, and a lot of it comes from research and development.  The money spent is on bike teams in the large tours.  These bikes "made in the USA" usually mean concieved in the U.S. but bike companies already operating on a small margin for their distributers are going to get the cheapest product possible that will pass their qc tests.  They're in it to make money.  The expensive bikes are the ones with the most research behind them, and not necessarily will those be the best bikes for the average rider or their position to improve on. 

LBS are important like running shops because they can help you find the right bike for you.  Often you will realize that, like shoes, price is irrelevent if you are going to continue running/biking comfortably an enjoy it injury free then you will pay the price. 

The pedals thing?  When you buy a pair of shoes do they ask your size?  serious bikers will look at pedal float/platform(hotspot reducing), weight, easy disengagement, and even more factors when considering which one is right for them.  You can get pedals so cheaply(even free) that the choice is yours.

They will give you some pedals, but they come at a price.  A 1000 dollar bike with free pedals seems like a Trek Madone with a Sora drive train. 

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

GST

It would be like a treadmill coming with a pair of shoes.  If it's not what your used to, it's useless.

I am sponsored by a bike shuop in Spokane, Washington.  The owner ownes all of her bikes.  I'm not sure about the margins, but that much is true.  The last 2 bikes I bought from her (a road bike for myself and a tri bike for my wife), we bought the prior year's models that she still had on the floor next to the present year's model.  We got really good deals.

For an entry level bike, I think about $1,000-$1,500 should get you started.

BTW - The new Pinerella Dogma runs about 15k. 

That's what I read too. My Giant OCR-1w was about $1000. It did include pedals.  I got it after a few years on a cheap hybrid.... And it was worth every sent and made me enjoy riding more and start riding more (and immediately faster) ... even doing my first couple of centuries. I wouldn't have dreamed of doing that on my cheap hybrid

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

True, I am all for buying used.

I have been dying to say this:

"Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades."

Eddy Merckx. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

dennrunner

A 1000 dollar bike with free pedals seems like a Trek Madone with a Sora drive train.  

Some people only have one gear.  Oh, wait, that's a whole other discussion.

He still has a valid point.  Instead of buying a new "entry-level" bike, buy a used bike to get started.  Upgrade the pedals, then buy a new bike, and move the pedals.

Or better yet, buy the 4k bike a couple years old for 1/4 the original price from the guy thats upgrading to the 7k bike and only used it to race with, not train with. That equals low mileage.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Some people only have one gear.  Oh, wait, that's a whole other discussion.

Hell and people like my self have one gear and no brakes. lol But let's not start that one either.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hell and people like my self have one gear and no brakes. lol But let's not start that one either.

You drive a Prius?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

dennrunner

nevermind

You drive a Prius?

lol!!