Seriously? and it doesn't come with pedals?? (Read 1016 times)

keeponrunning

I know of a couple people who do tri's, and they both talk of building their own bikes.  They just buy a frame, and then add their preferred handles, pedals, tires, etc.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Tim D

heavy breather

My take on local bike shops is they make their money on service.  You can't buy bike service on ebay.  During a conversation with a group of bikies about  costs one guy said then they all agreed was " It ain't the metal, it's the motor".  Lance with square wheels could lap me and no amout of carbon fiber goodies on my bike could change that.
      xor

" It ain't the metal, it's the motor".

True for a great many things!

Although sometimes you need both "the tools and the talent", to paraphrase Ghostbusters.  They knew how to trap ghosts, but they still needed those unlicensed nuclear accelerators.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wasn't the title of one of Lance Armstrong's books "It's Not the Bike," or something to that effect?

Another factor that makes a higher-quality bike worth it for females is that many models now come in women-specific designs.  This means geometry better suited to female proportions, a better selection of smaller frame sizes, female saddle (shorter nose, wider rear) and also short-reach brake/shifter levels.  My hubby has nearly identical brake/shifter set-up to mine, but I wouldn't be able to operate his, because it's a unisex set-up and my hands are too small.  Had I purchased a unisex bike we would have had to spend a couple hundred extra for the same hoods/brake/shifter levers in a size to fit my hands/fingers.  But my WSD bike cost no more than the men's/unisex version.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Love beaver.  As a little boy somehow I ended up with a little beaver stuffed animal.  The size of most Teddy Bears I would guess.  This most likely explains a lot about what is wrong with me.  Loved that thing though.  It had been bag feet and a squishy little nose.  Tough as nails as well.  Part of me wants to see if I could find a picture of it on the web to show but I know all I will end up with is a bunch of inappropriate websites in my search. 

If you donate money to the World Wildlife Fund they will send you a stuffed animal. There's like a gazillion of them to choose from now. It's an expensive way to buy dog toys but the money goes to a good cause. Not only can you get a beaver with a very amusing expression

but you can also get some boobies should you want to go full out in double entendre mode. The boobies (fnah fnah) make excellent bookends. And by 'excellent' I mean they don't actually hold books up but they make me laugh and allow me to say 'Are you looking at my boobies?' every time someone notices them in my office. With two boobies and a beaver the possibilities are endless (fnah fnah)

Oh, and bikes, yeah. They do seem expensive.

MTA - That a blue footed booby and a red footed booby for those of you who don't know your boobies.

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
              John's submittal causes me to regrade this thread from a C- to a B+.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you donate money to the World Wildlife Fund they will send you a stuffed animal. There's like a gazillion of them to choose from now. 

Oh, there are dozens of critters to choose from--very cool!  I think I know what I will do for my nephews for their birthdays.  Thanks for passing that along.

~ Sarah Kay

KMB

Of course it doesn't come with pedals--they can't assume what sort of pedal the customer will want...SPD, Time, Look, Speedplay, etc.  Many customers likely already have a set of pedals, as well.

zoomie  - i had no idea you worked in providence and had an alias of Brandon

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

I think people tend to want to add on specific types of pedals, so stock pedals would be essentially useless.

It would be like a treadmill coming with a pair of shoes.  If it's not what your used to, it's useless.

I am sponsored by a bike shuop in Spokane, Washington.  The owner ownes all of her bikes.  I'm not sure about the margins, but that much is true.  The last 2 bikes I bought from her (a road bike for myself and a tri bike for my wife), we bought the prior year's models that she still had on the floor next to the present year's model.  We got really good deals.

For an entry level bike, I think about $1,000-$1,500 should get you started.

BTW - The new Pinerella Dogma runs about 15k. 

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

It would be like a treadmill coming with a pair of shoes.  If it's not what your used to, it's useless.

I am sponsored by a bike shuop in Spokane, Washington.  The owner ownes all of her bikes.  I'm not sure about the margins, but that much is true.  The last 2 bikes I bought from her (a road bike for myself and a tri bike for my wife), we bought the prior year's models that she still had on the floor next to the present year's model.  We got really good deals.

For an entry level bike, I think about $1,000-$1,500 should get you started.

BTW - The new Pinerella Dogma runs about 15k. 

Or, I bought a road bike for $40 and it does everything I want.  That's entry level, a grand isn't. That's like calling a $10 000 car an 'entry level' car. Everybody buys a $3000 POS to drive when they're in school / just out of school. New cars, and new road bikes, are a luxury.

MTA: It had pedals for $40, too.

There is no new entry level car for $3k. We are talking new bikes.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's funny that some runners would not scoff at paying a grand or more on a treadmill that can only be used indoors, is entirely unportable, and requires electricity to operate (extra $), but to pay the same amount for a bike that can be used indoors on a trainer for relatively little money (or free, if you know someone who no longer wants theirs and just wants it out of their basement) or outdoors seems completely irrational to them....

~ Sarah Kay

It's funny that some runners would not scoff at paying a grand or more on a treadmill that can only be used indoors, is entirely unportable, and requires electricity to operate (extra $), but to pay the same amount for a bike that can be used indoors on a trainer for relatively little money (or free, if you know someone who no longer wants theirs and just wants it out of their basement) or outdoors seems completely irrational to them....

touche'

wyerock

There is no new entry level car for $3k. We are talking new bikes.

He still has a valid point.  Instead of buying a new "entry-level" bike, buy a used bike to get started.  Upgrade the pedals, then buy a new bike, and move the pedals.

True, I am all for buying used.

I have been dying to say this:

"Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades."