Tahoe Rim Trail 50K, aka My 1st 50K! (Read 911 times)

MTA: Corrected photo link....

TRT official home page: http://www.tahoemtnmilers.org/trt50/index.html Photos (my 1st attempt, so may not work): hereJuly 21, 2007 It was a magical 10-hour 27-minute 32-second journey...I dont't think this blog will convey that, though. This 10 1/2 hour journey through the mountains and vistas of one of the most beautiful places on earth was indescribably awesome... I knew I had trained the best I could, with family and work commitments. I also knew the elevation climbs and altitude would be a challenge. This race had about 7000 feet of climbing, started at about 7000 foot elevation, and went as high as 9000 feet at its highest point. I had serious doubts about my ability to finish within the 14 hour cut-off time. Climbing isn't my strong point, but downhills are, so I hoped it would even out, as long as I kep my wits with me for the entire day. Profile here: http://www.tahoemtnmilers.org/trt50/50kProfile.jpg The bib pickup area glowed orange from the lights, looking like a campfire, but of course, couldn't be because of the extreme fire danger. I finished my powerade, tightened my shoes, folded my bib to show only the number, and pinned it to my shorts. We all headed down the hill closer to the lake shore, where we got a very quick briefing about the trail, and we were off (only 50 milers and 50kers – the 100 milers had started an hour earlier). My husband remarked later how low-key the start was, with people saying "I guess I better start....see ya", and shuffling out along the trail. The route was dusty for the first few miles, because of so many people starting out together (probably about 250 of us?). People passed me as we went uphill, but I ran any slightly downhill; I felt a little foolish passing people who I knew would only be passing me once we started uphill again. I wanted to use my strength of running downhills as much as I could. Several runners and I would be leap-frogging each other all day long because of this. There were some nice, thick, bending Aspen trees. As the valley narrowed next to a creek, the air actually was cold for a short time. Soon, Marlette Lake was in sight. The trail ran alongside the lake, on a dirt road, with nice wildflowers and lots of Aspen trees. I was alone for the entire race, meaning I didn’t attempt to hook on with anyone and stick together through the ordeal. But that was fine with me. I really didn't want to chat much, since I was concerned that I would waste my energy and not be able to finish the race. There were more ups and downs, and eventually the sun finally reached us at about mile 5-6. The first aid station (AS) had a classy set-up of crystal and silver trays. They filled my waterpack, without me even removing it, and I was off. I was eating my own energy gel and snacks while I was hiking up the hills, so I never ate anything from any of the AS. My boys weren't there when I got to Tunnel Creek aid station the first time, which had me a little confused. I guess they had trouble parking near the trailhead, and it ended up being 4 1/2 miles and 1800 feet up to see me! I headed into Red House Loop - and was surprised by an incredibly steep downhill unrunnable section. It eventually leveled out, and then went slowly up again to the next water break at the Red House. The steep hike out of the loop, back to Tunnel Creek AS was shorter than I thought it would be, and my kids and husband were waiting for me this time. I sat and recovered for about 20 minutes, reapplied sunscreen, and put biofreeze and arnica on my sore quad that was complaining with every uphill step, of which there were going to be plenty more. This combination worked wonders, since it never bothered me again. I said goodbye to my family, warning them that they better be at the finish line when I got there. They said they would, and then Matt (11) said, “If we’re not, Mom, that’s good. Cause it means you’re FAST!” What a sweetie. It was a tough climb out. I was slow, but kept a steady pace, kept moving, stopping only briefly to enjoy the incredible views of the lakes and valleys and snap some pictures. Headed towards Snow Valley (this is actually the highest point of the race over 9000 feet). This was by far my favorite part of the trail - open, flattish meadows and hills, with an incredible view of the Lake, granite rocks jutting out here and there, and a really brisk breeze to cool me off. I was on a total (gel) high when I reached the Snow Valley AS (~9000 feet elevation), and gulped down some Mountain Dew and headed down the hill (finally!). The downhills flew past. They had a clock at the final AS which was only 1.7 miles from the finish, and when I realized I was within reach of beating the 10 1/2 hour mark, I jammed the last flat bit of trail, passing several people. Eventually I saw chairs lining the path, and I waved to my family. We celebrated with the beer they gave to all finishers, and ate at a favorite King's Beach restaurant on our way home. I had a little trouble staying awake at the table while waiting for our food. Once home, ibuprofen, biofreeze, and arnica became good friends for the bottom of both feet, since they were pounding after being on them for so long. Recovery was good for 2 days. Feeling great 3-4 days later. Even ran 4 miles on Tuesday, although very slowly. Strategies that seemed to work in this run: taped 2 toes and body glided entire feet, with Injinji socks = no holes in socks, no blisters on toes Ultimate Direction backpack was great Dirty girl gaiters kept pebbles out of my shoes Bandana for preventing breathing dust, wiping sweat Massage after Salt tabs every hour Improvements needed: Disposable camera photos suck! Need ultra small digital Bring arnica and biofreeze with me on the trail Carry less food with me Race review: Race Organization and Support: 5+/5 (incredibly well-marked trail, and superb volunteers) Course Difficulty: 4/5 Scenery: 6++/5 Trail surface/condition: 5/5 Would I do it again? No - only because it was such a magical day for me - one of those memories I don’t want spoiled with a less wonderful experience. Everything went right - the weather, my family was there, I felt good, no injuries, the views from the trail were awesome, an easy running surface, etc... What's next? A month of short recovery runs, and searching for a nearby trail marathon or 50k in another state.

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      Many congratulations! Great report!
      2008 Goals
    • Run 1250 miles
    • Get down to 135!
    • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
      • congrats- you did a great job! what an accomplishment!
          congrats - well done. nice report and nice photos
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Would I do it again? No - only because it was such a magical day for me - one of those memories I don’t want spoiled with a less wonderful experience. Everything went right - the weather, my family was there, I felt good, no injuries, the views from the trail were awesome, an easy running surface, etc...
            I think this is very cool. I hope to someday do a race that leaves me not wanting more (but in a good way)--maybe that's why some pros leave their sports when at the top of their game. Great race report and I could feel the excitement of your finish. I'm proud of your efforts! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

CONGRATS!!!! Seems there are always alot of leap frogging when it comes to trail races! WTG on finishing and I'm still so jealous!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Basically... run!

Awesome!! It sounds like such a fun race. Congratulations on a great accomplishment! Smile

btb1490

I can't imagine running 50k, let alone 50k at altitude and with crazy hills. But it sure sounds like you had an incredible experience out there even with all that, plus it was your first one! Congratulations, looking forward to hearing about your next adventure!

Into the wild

Great read....you must be so chuffed... Well done.

Shut up and run

Congrats. Smile Where is the audio version of your race report? Tongue

Vim

Congratulations!! That is awesome. Great report too, I had to stop for a water break while reading! Big grin

Michelle

That is so awesome! Great report and loved the pics. Thanks so much for taking the time to post it! Congrats Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

Landy, thanks so much for posting this report; really enjoyed it and the pics are AWESOME. Absolutely breathtaking scenery....brings tears to the eyes! Smile CONGRATS!! What an accomplishment. Smile

You'll ruin your knees!

Been wonderin' 'bout you! Congratulations, ULTRARUNNER! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Imminent Catastrophe

What a great experience! You certainly didn't pick an easy one for your first 50k, that one will be hard to beat! Thanks for the great RR. BTW there are a lot of relatively inexpensive, light, small digital cameras that take great, high quality photos.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016