Why compression gear? (Read 1815 times)

I've run year round here in Michigan for the last eight years and my normal attire is one or two pair of tights and long sleeve running shirts with a long sleeve cotton jersey on top to break the wind. I also wear a pair of Cool Max briefs to keep the plumbing from freezing and a hat and gloves as needed. This combination has served me well on runs down to -10F. Whatever you wear as a first layer needs to be in contact with your skin to pull moisture away. It doesn't need to be tight like compression shorts though, ordinary tights and running shirts work fine. The trick to cold weather running is to dress as though it's 20 degrees warmer than it actually is. This will make you cold for the first mile or so but comfortable for the rest of the run. The worst thing you can do is over dress, or wear something that traps moisture like wind breakers and jackets. Also, never wear anything made of cotton next to your skin. It will get wet and stay wet making you miserably cold. Tom
    casualrunner

I think Under Armour has compression gear and loose fit compression gear. Though I didn't try the loose fit so I don't know what the difference is in feel. After I tried the regular fit and thought maybe I'd somehow gained ten pounds without noticing, I tried on some Reebok stuff instead. It was less restrictive and keeps me good and warm.
        I like nothing more than compression gear -- I also like the weather cold ... you can pick name brand stuff UA; Asics; NIKE at Marshalls or TJ Maxx for next to nothing. I normally wear the compression with a sythetic layer over the top -- hats and gloves -- shoes of course ... I haven't tested this into the -10 category but it works fine in the teens and cuts the wind chill as well.

2012= under-goaled

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My 4yr has watched The Incredibles so many times we hid it. When Bob is in his office prying himself into the suit, that is what I feel like in my compression gear. I like the superhero reference. I will look at it totally different now. Thanks. LOL
          That movie is friggin' fantastic! Probably the most heavily viewed animated film in our collection. My car is named "Dash." Big grin I have become a serious fan of thermal compression tights for Winter. I have a couple of pairs of more traiditional knit poly pants, too, but I don't like them as well. They are less flattering and snow (and drafts) always finds its way up the legs. Plus...they aren't really designed for going "commando," and I have tried dozens of panties...all of them chafe my ass cheeks after about 4 miles. Tights are perfect. And if I need a bit more coverage on my rear and girly parts I can throw a pair of compression shorts on top or a running skirt for extra layers of warmth and wind protection. Windblocker thermal tights (mine are NB, but other brands make them, as well) are also fantastic. Most have panels that are both wind and water resistant, which is great when it's blowing snow (like today). Plus there's none of that mind-numbing swish-swish-swish of wind pants to put up with for miles on end.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Oh yes, the swish, swish, swish could be some form of torture. Thanks for all the great advice. I did a 5k last weekend it was 25 degrees with 30ph winds. I am 5'2 and not very big. I was warm enough but the wind killed me. I felt like I was running in place at times.
              I wear a compression shirt year round for every run. In the cold, I just switch to long sleeves. It keeps me warmer as a base layer....for me, it also prevents the nips from getting rubbed raw.
                I wear a compression shirt year round for every run. In the cold, I just switch to long sleeves. It keeps me warmer as a base layer....for me, it also prevents the nips from getting rubbed raw.
                Ah, the raw nips. After I started running again after 15 years I had forgotten about the raw nips. After the first decent long run I finished I realized I had worn them raw and that one of them was bleeding. Ruined that shirt and man was I embarrassed when I realized I had run down a busy street with a bloody shirt from a nip. Now I always wear little spot bandaids on my nips but it really is a drag ripping those dudes off after I am done. Too much hair in the area and it hurts. Sam
                Sam Edmond, Oklahoma 2009 Goals: 1. 1/2 Marathon (DONE Jan 2) 2. Hike to the top of Horn Peak, CO (13,450 ft) in July 3. Run a full marathon by the end of 2009 4. Keep running and no significant injuries 5. Run at least 1500 miles for the year 6. Play more golf with a stroke average in the 70's