When to Hydrate on Long Runs? How far is too far w/o water? (Read 1588 times)

Carps10

Ahhh...this explains everything. You still know everything. Give yourself 10-20 years. You'll be an ignorant plebian like the rest of us. You know, my training pace would be faster than 11 minutes if I could run faster. Believe me, I am no faster without my hydration belt. I always find it amusing when fast little whipper snappers think slow people enjoy being slow. But compared to my 13mm miles 2 years ago my 9:30 HM PR pace is lightning fast.
    lol whatever keep hatin me cuz u ain't me. and don't tell me you can't train faster. unless you're physically disabled in some way, you can train faster, you just need to condition your body to do so. might also have to change up the mechanics, because a 7-min stride is totally different from a 10-min stride, it involves a lot more lifting of the knees and more hamstring action. but seriously, to tell yourself you can't go faster is to sell yourself short. the human body was designed to run and chase down prey at fast speeds, it wasn't designed to run slow.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

the human body was designed to run and chase down prey at fast speeds, it wasn't designed to run slow.
      Really? When did you last take a Physical Anthropology course or study Human Physiology? Humans evolved to injure prey then wear it down by tracking it (there are still people in the world who procure their game this way, including hunters in this country). Cheetahs are built for speed, Humans are built for endurance, which is one advantage of being bipedal and having binocular vision with eyes on the front of our faces.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I always find it amusing when fast little whipper snappers think slow people enjoy being slow. But compared to my 13mm miles 2 years ago my 9:30 HM PR pace is lightning fast.
        Yo, Zoom-zoom I know what you mean. Especially when, even at my age (56) and recovering from two knee injuries, I'll take him on in a half or full marathon. Let's see, on my 16 mile training run Saturday, the last four miles averaged 6:57. Oh--and my 3 miler yesterday morning averaged 6:25. There are way too many variables in running (natural ability, training, age, weight, etc) for someone without much life experience to sound off too much. As much as I want to, I will never run as fast as I did when I was in high school or college. BTW--Haven't been on here in a while (since last year), and just wanted to tell you that your avatar looks great! Looks like you have really been dropping weight. (Uh, not that I mean you had a lot to lose, of course. It's just that, uh, well, you know what I mean, don't you?) And, your times have improved quite a bit. Well done.
        My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

Dave

lol whatever keep hatin me cuz u ain't me. and don't tell me you can't train faster. unless you're physically disabled in some way, you can train faster, you just need to condition your body to do so. might also have to change up the mechanics, because a 7-min stride is totally different from a 10-min stride, it involves a lot more lifting of the knees and more hamstring action. but seriously, to tell yourself you can't go faster is to sell yourself short. the human body was designed to run and chase down prey at fast speeds, it wasn't designed to run slow.
          Right. For 16, you should be a whole lot faster than you've mentioned. 2 hours for 14 miles? I ran a 1:44 HM back in March and I'm 41. Do us all a favor and think about finding a board with people a bit more your age, experience, and maturity. I think there's a board specifically for teenagers over at coolrunning. This sounds like one of those conversations. I'm done with this little Troll, Zoomie. Lets not feed him anymore.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yo, Zoom-zoom Haven't been on here in a while (since last year), and just wanted to tell you that your avatar looks great! Looks like you have really been dropping weight. (Uh, not that I mean you had a lot to lose, of course. It's just that, uh, well, you know what I mean, don't you?) And, your times have improved quite a bit. Well done.
            Hey, there! Big grin I wish I could claim some weight loss...well, I have lost since Christmas, but I gained over the holidays. Tongue People keep saying that they lost well while marathon training, so I'm keeping my fingers-crossed that body fat gives up fighting. Evil grin Spring has been kinda rough. Had several respiratory demons get me, then my asthma got out-of-control. Started Advair 2 weeks ago and it's been amazing the difference in my lung function. Where have you been hiding?

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm done with this little Troll, Zoomie. Lets not feed him anymore.
              Yeah, I think I hear his mommy calling. He's probably been remiss in his chores or has homework to do or something. Black eye

~ Sarah Kay

Carps10

Right. For 16, you should be a whole lot faster than you've mentioned. 2 hours for 14 miles? I ran a 1:44 HM back in March and I'm 41. Do us all a favor and think about finding a board with people a bit more your age, experience, and maturity. I think there's a board specifically for teenagers over at coolrunning. This sounds like one of those conversations. I'm done with this little Troll, Zoomie. Lets not feed him anymore.
                Your half marathon was a RACE. My 14 miler is an EASY AEROBIC TRAINING RUN. Stop trying to pretend you're in the same shape as me, cuz we're in different leagues.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Words for the day: Hubris & Karma

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

wow...I've even worn my camelbak in multiple races. I really am not worthy of even posting in this forum.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Carps10

Words for the day: Hubris & Karma
                      self confidence is a good thing. it's how champions are made.
                      Carps10

Yo, Zoom-zoom I know what you mean. Especially when, even at my age (56) and recovering from two knee injuries, I'll take him on in a half or full marathon. Let's see, on my 16 mile training run Saturday, the last four miles averaged 6:57. Oh--and my 3 miler yesterday morning averaged 6:25. There are way too many variables in running (natural ability, training, age, weight, etc) for someone without much life experience to sound off too much. As much as I want to, I will never run as fast as I did when I was in high school or college. BTW--Haven't been on here in a while (since last year), and just wanted to tell you that your avatar looks great! Looks like you have really been dropping weight. (Uh, not that I mean you had a lot to lose, of course. It's just that, uh, well, you know what I mean, don't you?) And, your times have improved quite a bit. Well done.
                        sorry but i'd still wreck you in a half marathon. My 5k pace is 5:15....I'm in a lot better shape than you, just stop lying to yourself, mmmkay?

A Saucy Wench

self confidence is a good thing. it's how champions are made.
                          What you have been posting is not self confidence.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What you have been posting is not self confidence.
                            Pride goeth... and all that jazz... Wink

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

sorry but i'd still wreck you in a half marathon. My 5k pace is 5:15....I'm in a lot better shape than you, just stop lying to yourself, mmmkay?
                              The general forums are usually a place for sharing ideas and supporting other runners. Perhaps you would be more comfortable in this forum. It is really more up your alley. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/SuperiorRunners

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The general forums are usually a place for sharing ideas and supporting other runners. Perhaps you would be more comfortable in this forum. It is really more up your alley. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/SuperiorRunners
                                Damn, Ennay...I was going to join, but you are already superior to me. Cry

~ Sarah Kay