Lance Armstrong appears finally to have run out of rope. (Read 2702 times)

DoppleBock

Is it just obvious to me?  With all the childish behavior and rage ~ Most of Nascar has to be on Steriods!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

For me ~ Marion Jones broke my heart - She had that crooked - infectious smile.  Seemed like an all american girl I just wanted to win ~ Damn Doper.   

From the first time I heard about Marion Jones (at the 2000 Olympics when her husband the shot putter wasn't allowed to be there because of steroid use), I knew she was guilty and not clean.... I was surprised that people gave her the benefit of the doubt in the years before she admitted to using steroids.  She was promoted as the "all American girl" by the media (due to her achievements at the Olympics).

Ben Johnson's (Canada's 100m hero with a 9.83 time) sudden and quick crash in Seoul ate me up as a kid.  I was living in Canada, and the Canadian embarrassment combined with the American media attitude toward Ben Johnson and Canadian athletics soured me. 

But, I suspected that most super human performers do something that others don't do. (Ie. Carl Lewis, Michael Phelps).  I suspect that they've done stuff that normal elite athletes don't do.  I suspected that they got lucky and hadn't been caught.

From then on, I get some satisfaction when it's discovered that some American athletes are also not clean.

But, I've lived over half of my life in the USA, and my entire life as a US Citizen, so I'll get off my soapbox....

At least Wayne Gretzky is clean and his role model image wasn't tainted Smile

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

DoppleBock

Hopefully not Phelps ~ He basically was know as someone that worked hard every day - Never took a day off (Screw Christmas and Thanksgiving - I gots training to do Momma)

I still want to believe that a high level of sacrifice and great genetics can get you there.  Of course some eat McDonalds every day and still get close ~ Or beer and pizza and get close. 

The east Germans did prove long ago ~ Good genetics, a ton of didication and Lots of PEDs and you can dominate. 

Next your going to tell me Dick Weber, Earl Anthony and Ray Roth were juicers?

DoppleBock

http://www.yianniskouros.com/records.html

I wonder is he was ever tested

He performed at a different level at 24 hour - 1000 mile races then anyone before or after him

DoppleBock

I wonder with the size of calves of one particular RA person ... They are not natural looking at all.

http://www.yianniskouros.com/records.html

I wonder is he was ever tested

He performed at a different level at 24 hour - 1000 mile races then anyone before or after him

Ha, but to srl's point: I recall you resented his boasting that his record would stand for a long time. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

DoppleBock

Centuries 

Ha, but to srl's point: I recall you resented his boasting that his record would stand for a long time. 

C-R

Interesting thread.

We (in general) teach winning is everything and one needs to do whatever one has to do to win. You know - 2nd place is just first loser.

Then we are surprised when a top flight athlete gets busted for cheating as we have this idyllic idea of fair play and purity for the best of the best. Frankly non-cheaters are the exception to the rule, like Paula, and should be respected for their discipline. But the temptation to do whatever possible (legal or illegal) to keep that edge is hard to avoid forever as time reduces physical abilities. ESPN had some good shows on this with former pro athletes admitting to their actions and why they did it.

Just another example of Charlie Brown having the football yanked away from him by Lucy. But I'll keep trying to kick the ball and every once in a while some pro shows us the exception at least for a bit. I thought Lance was it but like Jeff the Science of Sport analysis really hammered it home when it was first published.

High level sports really is a Greek tragedy.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Yeah, but by the NEW rules, she cheated because she ran in races that men also ran in.

Boo.  That was absurd.  And IIRC they re-accepted her 2:15.  Besides, her time may have been deemed "ineligible for record purposes" at one point, but that is not the same thing as cheating.  She followed all rules in place when she ran that race.

As for how we're spending taxpayer dollars, let's stop funding all art- and humanities-related initiatives too then...they are non-essential.  Everything is a sacred cow to someone, it's hard to say what we should spend on and what we should not.  This does indicate, however, why it's hard to win when you are fighting the government, after all they are doing it on someone else's time and with someone else's money.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

MrH

I'm not interested in TdF or any athletic contest that is decided by what the labs can concoct or the degree of clandestine skill with which the hypodermics are wielded.  Just doesn't interest me.

I'd rather watch amateur sports, if they're clean.

Not so fast. Sad Testing has been introduced relatively recently in Masters Track and Field. Some cheaters have failed, some have quit and some have shown remarkable drop off in performance since testing was implemented. Some show obvious change in body musculature too.

It's sickening. At the end of a race, would you want to acknowledge someone you 'know' to have cheated you out of a national or world title?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Menace to Sobriety

A fielder misses a tag (and knows it), but the umpire calls the runner out.  Is the fielder cheating if he doesn't tell the ump?

A receiver traps the ball, but the referee doesn't see and calls it a completed pass.  Is the receiver cheating?

Is the difference premeditated intent to cheat?  And does it matter if cheating is premeditated or just happens during the action?

Is the difference in cheating with PEDs that they provide an unfair advantage whereas my examples given do not?

I seriously doubt that Armstrong had any unfair advantage over any of his competitors that had any chance of beating him.

Does that mean I think he never used PEDs?  Don't be silly.

Addressing your first two examples: Is faking out an official expressly against the rules of either football or baseball and once the call has been made, would the player's admission reverse it? I don't know, but someone here may.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

HermosaBoy

Addressing your first two examples: Is faking out an official expressly against the rules of either football or baseball and once the call has been made, would the palyer's admission reverse it? I don't know, but someone here may.

Wasn't that the point of that commercial a while back where the basketball player said, "I touched it." and his coach was proud of him?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Not so fast. Sad Testing has been introduced relatively recently in Masters Track and Field. Some cheaters have failed, some have quit and some have shown remarkable drop off in performance since testing was implemented. Some show obvious change in body musculature too.

It's sickening. At the end of a race, would you want to acknowledge someone you 'know' to have cheated you out of a national or world title?

Hmm, I keep coming in 3rd in my AG.  Those other two must be doping. Wink

xor

Wait.  Which point did I make?  (honest question)  My last point was that LA is sort of a shithead and that impacts my view of him as The Amazing Superhero.

BTW, I realize that the references to The Pot were jokes, but it is still fun.  Weed as a PED.  Unless we're talking eating or music, probably not.

(then again, if it helps the athlete relax at the time she/he needs to relax, then maybe it is an artificial edge.)

((Wait.  What?))

Hmm, I keep coming in 3rd in my AG.  Those other two must be doping. Wink

When I come in  143rd in my age group, at least I know that there's at least 1 in front of me that's also clean.  I can sleep at night knowing that I don't deserve 1st place.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life