Do you ALWAYS run against traffic? (Read 4938 times)

I was running with traffic the other day!... the reason why you ask?...ok I'll tell you.

I was on a gravel road, lots of rolling hills, where on coming traffic cannot see over until it's too late.

I agree with this common sense approach to adjusting depending on the situation.  There are times such as those described above when it is best to run with traffic.  However, it is limited to these instances.

It is much better to be able to use you eyes and ears than just your ears when running - so running against traffic is the better option, sidewalks or no sidewalks.

As for intersections, runners and cyclists have to yield to the driver who doesn't yield to them.  I always make sure the driver sees me approaching or I will not cross in front of the vehicle.  Better to stop yourself than become a pancake.

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

I consider running against traffic to be the most dangerous thing I can possibly do, and I avoid it whenever possible or not horribly inconvenient.  When I'm running, the threat doesn't come from cars driving up from behind me or toward me.  The threat comes from cars entering the roadway.  When a car enters the roadway - from a side street, a parking lot, a driveway, etc. - the driver looks one way: toward oncoming traffic.  Since drivers often roll right on into their turn if they don't spot traffic coming toward them, they don't see me if I'm running facing traffic.  This is not a hypothetical.  At least 3 times a week I have to leap backward or sideways to avoid getting run down.  I've never once had to leap sideways to avoid getting run down by a car coming from behind me - not that I'm suggesting no one else has!

I've been hit by a car.  I had a teammate hit back in high school.  I've watched two pedestrians get plowed over.  Even held one girl in my arms while she died.  Cradled a biker only a year ago while most of his blood spilled out from gashes in his upper torso.  So I understand the dangers of car versus athlete on the road.

The law says I have to run facing the traffic, but it's an unenforced law.  And besides, I'd rather make it home alive to my son than pat myself on the back for obeying a law originally written with walkers in mind - not runners (walkers and even joggers rarely find themself mid-air entering the space in front of someone's driveway just as some madmen puts pedal to the metal from 5 yards deep in the driveway to  enter the road before the nearest car arrives).

And by the way, I can just imagine what happens when one of those drivers races into the street when a mother is pushing a baby stroller and neither mother nor driver has time to anticipate the other - personally, I think Mom did right by going with the traffic.

My two cents.  And I certainly understand that many will disagree with me.  Quite a few do - loudly - on the roads every week.

Why can't you just run behind the car if it is pulling out and thump the trunk loudly to let the driver know they're a moron?  

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, I'd agree it's better not to pass in front of a car waiting to turn, until you've determined that the driver actually sees you - driver might be texting, looking at directions on paper, or just be one of those generally stupid drivers who steps on the gas first and looks second.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

In the hopes of not getting us off topic, I recently saw a bicycle rider texting, without a helmet.  I think Charles Darwin made some good observations.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

Julia1971

The threat comes from cars entering the roadway.  When a car enters the roadway - from a side street, a parking lot, a driveway, etc. - the driver looks one way: toward oncoming traffic.  Since drivers often roll right on into their turn if they don't spot traffic coming toward them, they don't see me if I'm running facing traffic.

One morning, I was running against traffic, I had the WALK but since the woman never turned to look my way I didn't cross.  I waited.  And, waited.  She finally looked right as she was accelerating into her turn.  And, I waved at her as if to say, "Yeah, you could have killed someone this morning."

Anyway, I'll confess that I pay no attention to whether traffic is coming toward me or against me.  But, I do consider myself a defensive runner in that I'll just stop if there's any doubt a driver doesn't see me.  And, I never jaywalk and I frequently run behind cars.

under a rock

I've never cared for running along the road. It makes me tense and I don't enjoy myself. Where ever I live I always hunt down a few parks or green-ways for my runs. I'd rather have to do the same mile lap or 2 mile out and back over and over so I can be more relaxed. Now that I run with a jogging stroller I find it even more important that I use a park or green-way.  My green-way is quiet but the park always has lots of activity going on and there is much to keep me entertained while I run the same mile lap over and over. There are some longer green-ways in our area that are over 5 miles long. I'd have to drive 30+ mins to get to them but it will be worth it when I start longer runs.
              Rundadrun27

I also run in parks and greenways whenever possible.  Unfortunately to get to the greenways and the parks, then back home again,I have no choice but to run on the road at some point.  This is the main reason, as you can tell by my log, I prefer the Treadmill.  It may be boring, but it's more safe.

Giants Fan

I always, always, always run against traffic.  Least you can see it coming....

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In the hopes of not getting us off topic, I recently saw a bicycle rider texting, without a helmet.  I think Charles Darwin made some good observations.

I think we're gonna get along just fine next weekend. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I always, always, always run against traffic.  Least you can see it coming....

If your life is truly about to end, do you want to see it coming!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

If you run on the sidewalks, do you run against traffic like you do on the road or does it not matter?

Uphill - run with traffic since a car cresting the hill may not have time to see me (or versa)

Downhill/flat - run against traffic unless the other side has a larger shoulder or "looks safer"

I'll scratch these rules if it means I need to cross the street.  I'd rather take my chances than wait 10 minutes to cross a busy street.

Man in Tights

Great question and very relevant in my country.

Pavements are usually laid with uneven stone so you gotta run on the road.

Traffic here is nuts mainly because the two wheeler population is high. These ^%*$$#  drive  as if they own the roads and there's scant consideration for runners who are treated as unwelcome intruders.

So if you face traffic you have deal with these bikers coming at you. If they brush you or or god forbid hit you its your fault. The onus of avoidance is on the runner.

So I run with the traffic, that way the onus of avoidance is on the riders.

Not a day goes without  an unpleasant spat with some rider for coming dangerously close.

It's fun. it's dangerous. It's India.

I'll usually run against traffic unless it is safer not to.  It really just depends on the situation.  I prefer to be able to make eye contact with the drivers coming at me.  However, if it is not safe to run against traffic - I'll run where it is safer.
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

I run against traffic unless there's a blind corner where it makes more sense to run on the other side.

wildchild

Carolyn

I run on rural neighborhood dirt roads, so I have more flexibility than most of you.  We have no sidewalks but very little traffic, and the traffic goes slow because the roads are hilly, curvy, and bumpy.   I usually run facing traffic but the times I don't include:

running on the shady side in summer

running on the less icy side in winter

running on the outside of curves and switchbacks

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.