So I fell, which spurs a discussion... (Read 751 times)

Today's run was going great until 11.5 miles. I was making a turn around .5 miles from my house to finish the 12 miler. I turned around and hit a patch of ice and completely slipped and fell. It ticked me off because I tore the knee out of my new running tights (new as in, today was the first day I ever wore them since I got them last night... Angry) Anyways, there were two cars who had a clear view of this. One at a stop sign about 30 feet away, and one down the road probably 150 feet. Neither of them stopped or made any motion to see if I was okay after I got up and just stood there looking at my knee which was bleeding, as well as the fact that my pants were torn... Anyways, back in May, I was running in Nashville, slipped on a rainy day in front of one car. This one car stopped, rolled down her window and asked if I was okay, and then informed me she was a nurse at Vanderbilt. The following three cars behind her each stopped and asked me if I was okay, too. I now live in Indiana... My questions for discussion... Is this anything to do with Southern vs. Northern hospitality, ya think? Am I wrong to want to track down these people that just drove by and kick them in the shin? Anyone else have this happen to them?
      I've fallen/tripped oh, 5 times in the last year or so running. Most witnessed and no stops/inquiries as to my OKedness. While I live in the north, I can't say I could chalk the non-stops up to Mason-Dixon line friendliness. I should probably pick up my feet more. Wink
        Out here in California, my experience is you're lucky if they know anyone's on the side of the road. I've fallen a couple of times (once even ripped my big toenail off) and never had anyone pull over or ask if I needed help.
          Reminded me of a funny story... I was visiting a friend in Raleigh. (I am from Los Angeles). I spent the afternoon wandering the mall while she worked her shift. When she came out of work I asked her..."OK, do I have something wrong with me? Is there a hole in my shirt, is there something in my hair. Why is everyone staring at me?" She looked at me, smiled and said " Are they staring, or just actually making eye contact?" I had to laugh. Here they were trying to be nice and friendly and the girl from LA is paranoid that they are staring at her. So, maybe that's one for the "southern hospitality" vote.
            it is interesting to think how folks can ignore something like that... I once fell or slipped down 2 flights of steps... slipped... bump,bump,bump... landing... slide... bump.bump.bump.bump... slide into some bushes... right past 2 professors who where talking. They had to slow down to keep me from taking them out. Then didn't even stop and ask if I was ok... nothing... then just continued talking and walked up the steps... It took me a few minutes to catch my breath but I will never forget that...
              Out here in California, my experience is you're lucky if they know anyone's on the side of the road. I've fallen a couple of times (once even ripped my big toenail off) and never had anyone pull over or ask if I needed help.
              I'll second this and as a perfect example of my california sense of being an island... When I fell my first thought was, "OMG, I hope no one saw that! Just keep walking. Pretend nothing happened. Is that guy looking at me!" lol
              You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here

Mr. Muscle

I also live in Indiana, Goshenl, and I tend to fall too. I think people assume we deserve it for running in the stupid winter up here. I just fell pretty hard the other day. I'm still bleeding through band aids and shirts, but no sympathy for my wife. I've never had anyone stop for me. Would you stop for someone else? Depending on what I saw happen I may not either, but this post made me think perhaps I should. Next time fall on their stopped car.

Old, Slow, Happy

I don't fall very often. Once I stepped on a disdarded barrel ring in the dark. I wiped out my knee and was sitting on the edge of the road. The cars that went past did not stop, but they didn't see me fall. However, anogther time in the summer I had pushed too hard and was a little light-headed. I leaned against a stop sign until I felt better. Three people stopped to see if I was O.K. The difference might be urban and rural rather than south and north. I live in extreme north-west Ohio. Rustin-I hope you stop bleeding soon!! Did your son show you any sympathy? I know your father feels bad for you.
                    well I've been hit by a car (while riding a bike) and no one stopped. So I can't really sympathise with the slipped on ice one too much. Big grin

Lane

Runners up north don't need help. The drivers are worried they'll offend you by offering. Big grin
                        well I've been hit by a car (while riding a bike) and no one stopped. So I can't really sympathise with the slipped on ice one too much. Big grin
                        You win.
                        mikeymike

Runners up north don't need help. The drivers are worried they'll offend you by offering. Big grin
                          There's actually some truth to this. I've had a few yard sales over the years and most of the time nobody stops but a few times a really well-meaning driver has rolled down the window to make sure I was okay and I was just kind of embarrassed. I'd kinda rather they pretend they didn't see my wipeout unless I look really hurt (i.e., I don't get up on my own.)

Runners run

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I've lived in Texas and Maine, and there definitely IS something to the southern hospitality thing, but it's not always consistent. I spun out in my dad's 1973 Maverick when I was in high school - slid off the road in Austin and hit a telephone pole right next to the lake - and no one stopped to see if I was OK. That surprised me! When I took my two sons home to Texas and showed them around the UT campus, several people stopped to talk to us and give us directions. A security guard called us over and gave the boys a photo of the football team. At the end of the day, my oldest said, "Mom, everyone is so friendly here!"

Half Fanatic #846

Once I was stretching by my car before starting my run and an elderly couple stopped to ask if I was alright! Big grin Fortunately I haven't fallen yet (well, I've tripped, fallen, and face-planted over roots and rocks on trail runs, but I don't think it counts if no one sees you Wink).

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That reminds me of an episode this Summer...I didn't fall, but was running during a downpour. A woman pulled up to me in a brand new car (nothing fancy...a PT Cruiser, but it still had dealer plates) and offered me a ride home. I on mile 5 of a 6 miler at this point and thoroughly enjoying myself. I think she thought I was nuts when I declined. I did thank her to let her know that the offer was appreciated, just not necessary. I had my first fall a couple of weeks ago (just the day after commenting that I had yet to fall while running, though I have had many close calls). I'm pretty certain that a guy at the bottom of the hill in a truck waiting to pull out on the main street saw me, but he drove off when he saw that I was unhurt and had resumed running. I like to think that he would have stopped if I really had been down for the count.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay